Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What upgrades for a Production Division Glock 17?

dscl

Hey all, new (to competition) shooter here.  I had always kept my Glock 17 G4MOS  in OEM condition because the gun was regulated to bedside protection and range duty.  I'm diving into USPSA though and am wondering what I should upgrade for Production division (and maybe carry optics down the road).  Based on some reading and videos I was planning to pick up the following…

• Extended Mag Release
  • Pure Tungsten Guide Rod (uncaptured w/ spring kit)
  • Double Diamond Yikes Connector
  • Ultimate Pyramid Flat Face Trigger (includes all the goodies like comp striker spring, comp safety plunger etc…)
  • Dawson Comp sights

Just curious on peoples thoughts and if there are different parts, etc I should be considering and if any of these I shouldn't bother with in the first place.

Cheers!

I usually shoot limited whether I am running minor or major with my 34 or 35.  Lately, for 9mm I have been adding a TTI grandmaster kit, Jager SS guide rod, IMSI 13# spring, Dawson Fiber optics, for the Gen 5 I add the gen 4 extended mag release, for the Gen 3 and older I have run extended or not extended mag release.  For the Gen 4 or 5 they are so close you can hardly tell the difference.  I don't think there would be any harm with a tungsten guide rod.

I have not heard good word of mouth on Double Diamond stuff.

I think you can get most of the parts I listed except the Dawson sights and extended mag release from Shooters connection.  I previously used a lot of Wolff gunspring competition spring pack and a Glock 3.5 connector and those work well too, but I like the TTI kit a little better.  

I just reread your post and see you have a Gen 4 gun.  I only have one of those and it's a Gen 4 35,  I changed out the trigger bar to a gen 3 trigger bar (Glock part 357) to get rid of that bump on the trigger bar.

I started shooting IDPA with a Gen 2 Glock 17 before Glocks were cool.  I still have 3 G17's but like the 34's better for competition.  I don't really know anything about production so hopefully I did not lead you astray

Dawson sights (or any sights of your preference) is all you need. Any experienced competitor will be able to run a stage at least 20 seconds faster than a newcomer. The difference in time is not because of the gun.

Figure out what you want to get after competing for a bit. You might discover what you want then is much more different that your list now.

I agree on the sight change.  Is this still going to be used for home defense?  If so, I'd seriously consider not adding some of the items on the rest of your list.  But CClass is right, shoot it for a bit with the new sights before making any other substantive parts changes (maybe do a $.25 trigger job to clean up the trigger a bit) and then see if you "need" to add anything.

My Gen 3 17 has Dawson's, a 13lb recoil spring on a steel rod, an OEM ext mag release, a connector, "competition" trigger spring, and Silicone Carbide smeared on the grip. Don't think it's why I'm B class in Production.

4 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

I agree on the sight change.  Is this still going to be used for home defense?  If so, I'd seriously consider not adding some of the items on the rest of your list.  But CClass is right, shoot it for a bit with the new sights before making any other substantive parts changes (maybe do a $.25 trigger job to clean up the trigger a bit) and then see if you "need" to add anything.

Was planning to use the G17 solely for competition use.  My CCW with the WML will go to the bed stand at night.

4 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

My Gen 3 17 has Dawson's, a 13lb recoil spring on a steel rod, an OEM ext mag release, a connector, "competition" trigger spring, and Silicone Carbide smeared on the grip. Don't think it's why I'm B class in Production.

100% not intending to blame my performance on a lack of modifications :D

1 hour ago, dscl said:

Just curious on peoples thoughts and if there are different parts, etc I should be considering and if any of these I shouldn't bother with in the first place.

I wouldn't bother, not until you shot a few matches. Plus, once you start playing around with the firing control components, you could have a light strike, and won't be able to fire factory ammo.

Echoing what others said above, get a nice set of sights. I run a TTI on mine (fiber optic front) and am happy with it.

The old wives tale that one should never modify defensive handguns in any way needs to die.

Anyway, the first modification I do is to significantly increase the roughness of the grip on every single surface that my hands might touch, which includes significant portions of the frame where almost no manufacturer adds any texture at all.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

For your first match I'd get some Dawson sights and then shoot it like that until you're classified. Only then would I add things that seem to address specific shortcomings. There are lots of gadgets and "enhancements" available that don't really change your performance. Usually it's a better investment to just buy more ammo or range time and do some focused practice.

That said,
Are you struggling to hit headshots in CM 09-07? Then maybe a trigger or connector upgrade will help.

Do you feel like you need to excessively twist the gun to hit the mag release in in CM 06-03? Then the extended mag release is probably worth it.

Are you seeing the muzzle flash behind your sights but struggling to get them to settle for next shot? Then it's time for an aftermarket guide rod, not because it's heavier, but more importantly it will open up different recoil spring weights that will change the timing of the slide to match your grip.

I don't shoot Glocks very much, but I put together a loaner/teaching CO kit from a G34.4 MOS.

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2020 at 12:56 PM, CClassForLife said:

Dawson sights (or any sights of your preference) is all you need. Any experienced competitor will be able to run a stage at least 20 seconds faster than a newcomer. The difference in time is not because of the gun.

Figure out what you want to get after competing for a bit. You might discover what you want then is much more different that your list now.

I recently started competing in IDPA with my Glock 17 Gen 5 in the production class (SSP in IDPA lingo).  I've got two matches under my belt, and would have to agree with most of the advice here.  I put on the Dawson Precision sights, which are wonderful by the way, and haven't changed anything else.  The only additional things I would maybe consider at this point are the $0.25 trigger job and an extended mag release.  Why?  Because I have SOOO much improvement ahead of me in technique and execution that the equipment won't really make any difference.  IF I get good enough to where I'm starting to come against the limits of my gear, and I'm still serious about competition, I'll probably want to switch to a competition gun anyway, like a Glock 34 or a CZ Shadow.  Honestly, I can't see using a mostly stock G17 as being a handicap below the top 2-3 tiers of rankings.  Things may be different in USPSA, but I think you get the drift.  I'll be shooting in a USPSA match in a couple of weeks, if I change my mind about this, I'll post again ;)

On 10/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Eric_T said:

I recently started competing in IDPA with my Glock 17 Gen 5 in the production class (SSP in IDPA lingo).  I've got two matches under my belt, and would have to agree with most of the advice here.  I put on the Dawson Precision sights, which are wonderful by the way, and haven't changed anything else.  The only additional things I would maybe consider at this point are the $0.25 trigger job and an extended mag release.  Why?  Because I have SOOO much improvement ahead of me in technique and execution that the equipment won't really make any difference.  IF I get good enough to where I'm starting to come against the limits of my gear, and I'm still serious about competition, I'll probably want to switch to a competition gun anyway, like a Glock 34 or a CZ Shadow.  Honestly, I can't see using a mostly stock G17 as being a handicap below the top 2-3 tiers of rankings.  Things may be different in USPSA, but I think you get the drift.  I'll be shooting in a USPSA match in a couple of weeks, if I change my mind about this, I'll post again ;)

USPSA, with its more complex, freestyle stages is even more daunting to new shooters.  This makes an almost stock pistol even less of a factor in a new shooter's performance.

The only other modification I would recommend for you is to go to the hardware store and buy some black grit 3M floor non-skid strips.  Cut them to fit your grip and make sure you trim them so they cover the grip areas with no texture at all.  Clean the grip with alcohol, stick the non skid on, warm it up with a hair dryer, and then pick up the gun with your two handed firing grip and squeeze the crap out of it for about 30 seconds.  Then go back over all the edges and make sure they all stick.

You'll thank me later.

Sights you like ($70)

grip tape ($20)

ss guide rod and appropriate recoil spring ($40)

grip plug ($10)

drop in trigger or spring kit ($50-200)

So for 200 to 400 bucks you can do all you need. Oh, and I would definitely add basepads to your mags. The plastic mag sliding against a plastic grip make it nice to have a little extra help getting the mag out.

Edited by rowdyb

I'm with the others - SIGHTS first.  The Dawson's fiber Optics are one of the few things "everybody" agrees on. 😉

Once you have the sights - just shoot.

Sights that give you the information you need, that and a gun that goes "BANG" every time is enough to win matches and certainly enough to get started.

If you MUST do trigger work, start with the factory 3.5 pound disconnector.  That and some "Flitz" metal polish will work wonders on a stock Glock trigger. Google "Glock 25 cent trigger job".  And you'll get to know your gun. 😉

We all play with gear,  it's fun! But don't get distracted from the real factors that will make you score better at a match. :)

I've messed with a lot of different triggers and accessories for Glocks over the years and I've found that most of them aren't really worth the hassle. You're on the right track with your list. I personally think the drop in triggers are a bit of a waste when the TTI kit is great and $40, but I've messed with the pyramid and there's nothing wrong with it. If I were starting fresh with a Production Glock I would go

Sights: Dawson Adjustable

Guiderod: Jager with 13lb ISMI

Trigger: TTI Grandmaster Kit 

I'm not against anybody spending money on Glocks, I'd have a Gucci Glock if they weren't so expensive, but these are the only three upgrades that have made a significant difference. *The guiderod doesn't make a difference in slow-mo video I've taken but it makes the perceived recoil so much nicer and ejection is slightly better.