Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Space City Challenge 2006

The huge radio tower is an excellent landmark and it's right at the range.

Drive slow on the range road like they ask.

Lots of suburbia springing up nearby so cold drinks and ice and such aren't far off

Speaking of 'off', the range is chigger territory and host to other annoying bugs. Be prepared.

Humidity can go from 80% to 110% ;) Pro-grip is popular. Shade is available, but bring a chair or two if you can.

Don't eat the raspberries at the range; they are sprayed with noxious chemicals-- Ted Bonnet went into shock several years ago from eating some.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the great info. I am orginally from Houston and am currently located in Missouri. Good Mexican, BBQ, and SEAFOOD are hard to find here. We are looking forward to visiting with yall ( that would be youins here which is yall plus three). Planning on staying in Galveston for a couple of days after the match so this old sailor can smell the salt air again.

Cliff

Out of towner looking for a possible ride. I'm staying with family northeast of Houston (Dayton/Libery area).

It would sure help out the car situation if I could tag along with someone. I'd help with gas.

You wouldn't have to pick me up, I could meet you wherever you needed.

I'll be there all 3 days shooting Fri, RO'ing Sat. and Sunday.

Thanks!

my email address is trey at rosenet dot net

Stage 4 - 180 trap

I don't like traps of any kind. This is a shooting contest, not a shooter trapping contest. When this is set up, it will be easy to shoot it WITHOUT breaking the 180. It may be possible to engage a target past the 180. We have set up variations on this theme many times in this bay and we have had a few DQ's over the years.

Thanks for the update Tom.

After discussing this stage with another shooter, long story short, my concern was based on my inexperience shooting this type of stage. Therefore please disregard my comment.

Good learning experience for me.

Vincent,

From my limited experiance with shooting......

I hardly ever pay much attention to stage diagrams any more....Just looking for odd shooting positions, and different type starts. The stages hardly ever look like they do on the ground as they do on paper. ;)

With that Said...............

ONE more week until......"LOAD and MAKE READY" !!!!!! :D:D:D

looking forward to it myself. ;)

Hopalong

Just a little heads up for those who don't live in the area.. It's going to be HOT!!! :o I was out there this morning until noon and it was burning up. Make sure you guys bring plenty of fluids to consume and some sort of sun protection.

Good luck to you guys! B)

I have updated the web page with schedule and photo page for each day.

My plan is to put photo's our there at end of each day and remove the schedule.

There is a flurry of last minute active, just like there is at every match.

Request for a bit of help from local TSS shooters.

Thursday is setup

I could use some help on Thursday.

My goal is to have all 8 stages set up by Noon. Have a meal and a glass of iced tea, take one last look and go home.

Sunday

We have added extra shooters by allowing some shooters to shoot the entire match in 1/2 a day on Sunday. The squads are REAL small. 6 man. These guys will have time to stuff mags. and shoot, but I would like some help from anyone that's around to tape and set steel.

What is the range surface like there? Gravel/grass/pebbles/woodchips/ etc?

Thanks

FY42385

its grass - be sure to bring cleets... hopefully it doesn't rain

Bring something without cleats also. There's one stage where smoother soles will be better.

Dave... The schedules are linked off the home page...

I'd bookmarked the page that you get if you click "Space City Challenge 2006" on the left side... obviously, it's not good to assume that things show up where you might figure they would.... ;) Thanks, found 'em on the TX South Section home page...

Final results are posted

www.texassouthsection.com

Shooters come and go but EzWinScore keeps their number. (We had a couple of dozen come and go.)

Ken Hicks Area 4 Director was shooter 250.

There were no DQ's.

Excelent Stage Design, Stage Setup, Officiating, and GREAT SHOOTERS.

You guys come back now,

you hear.

The rundown:

Open - BJ Norris

Limited - David Weers

Limited-10 - Tony Phan

Production - Matt Mink

Revolver - Jerry Miculek

SSD - Shannon Smith

Congrats to all you folks... Lots of forum members placing, as well - as a group, we had a pretty good showing :) Pays to be a forum member...

I smell a GM card on the way for BJ... and an M card on the way for Athena (who finished 7th overall, high A, and high Lady in Open - at 84.51%!!!)... ;)

A shame it poured rain part of the day on Saturday. The match had solid stages, friendly officials, and ran well, even if a little delayed from the rain. I'm looking forward to next year :)

Great Match !!!!! :D

Great Squad !!!!! :D (8).......Thanks for putting up with me!

Great STAFF !!!!!! :):D:D

Wish I could have gotten my head in the match before the last stage. :angry:

A few quick Yee haa's

Athena! great job

My buddy Jonny Brister in his 1st Major with a Wheelgun..... :D:D:D

Rob Johnson (2nd Production) B)

Renee, Way to go!

My Buddy Mike Thomas from Nashville......You da Man!!!!!

Thanks for the great match.....Just wish it was not 14 hrs from home(by road)

See some of you next week at A-6!!!!!

Hopalong

Great match! Thanks everyone!!! This was the first time I worked a match and I had so much fun! It was cool to put names to faces and faces to names and running the clipboard sure helped! :lol: I'm exhausted after so much fun... but I managed to put together a quick montage with video footage I snuck between squads (since Stage 1 was run so efficiently ;) )

The Champions!

edited to add: If you ever squad with Chet... make sure you paste the holes in the plastic bags too... ;)

Edited by Sharyn

Awesome match, Team Self had a great time! It was nice to meet Hopalong, Mathew Mink and Clown. I took my 2nd Overall in SS with pride after meeting and seeing Mr. Smith shoot on Friday. Awesome guy! I had more fun watching my 11 year old daughter shoot, then me shooting! I did almost see every amotion she has! Laughing, serious and tears after tanking stage 4 and 5! I did make her feel a little better when Dad tanked stage 5 just as bad! :huh:

Sharyn, thanks for a nice smooth stage1!

A big thanks goes out to DABLASTER!!!!!!! Thanks Manny, all I heard in my head all weekend was prep the trigger!!!!!!

Thanks to all the organizers, staff, and RO's. It was my first Space City and a great match. The stages, props, food, etc. were all well done.

I had to take off Friday after shooting but heard the match ran well. Little hitch with the weather, but that happens.

Sharyn, great video (needs footage of you) and congratulations on your finish. You shot very well. Also thanks for working the match, that's what keeps the sport going.

Mark, thanks for the kind words and congrats on your second place.

Rick, thanks for working the match, it was a pleasure shooting with you.

My first USPSA match in SSD. Holy cow you run out of rounds every time you turn around. :-) It was a lot of fun and I think the division will continue to grow.

Hope to see ya'll next year,

Smitty