Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on my 9mm loads

AZ1911

I picked up a DW Pointman 9 just for fun. May shoot it in ESP. I plunked my current 147gr and 124gr Blues reloads and they plunk and spin great. Both are on the lighter side as far as powder charge goes. But not too light. Bothe work in my DW SSC 9mm 1911. At the range both of them chamber off the mag perfectly. When firing almost every one of them the slide stops about an 1/8th of an inch from being fully in battery. A little touch of the thumb on the rear of the slide is all it needs. On 3 brands of factory ammo I have ZERO malfunctions. Is it possible the recoil spring in this gun is wrong for my reloads, to light or to heavy, or should I look elsewhere? Thanks

Edited by AZ1911

3 minutes ago, AZ1911 said:

I picked up a DW Pointman 9 just for fun. May shoot it in ESP. I plunked my current 147gr and 124gr Blues reloads and they plunk and spin great. Both are on the lighter side as far as powder charge goes. But not too light. Bothe work in my DW SSC 9mm 1911. At the range both of them chamber off the mag perfectly. When firing almost every one of them the slide stops about an 1/8th of an inch from being fully in battery. On 3 brands of factory ammo I have ZERO malfunctions. Is it possible the recoil spring in this gun is wrong for my reloads, to light or to heavy, or should I look elsewhere? Thanks

Guns vary wildly in their ability to run ammo. As long as you can safely do so I would bump them .2 grains and test. They are just a tad week by the sound of it.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Guns vary wildly in their ability to run ammo. As long as you can safely do so I would bump them .2 grains and test. They are just a tad week by the sound of it.

Thanks Sarge. I have about 3000 of these loaded as they both work in my other guns. I guess I will bump the charge up a bit my next loadings. 

4 minutes ago, AHI said:

may be OIL the gun a little . Sounds like its a new gun could just need a little brake in .

This is worth a try too if it's brand new. Run it wet and see if it fixes itself. But I have had new Glocks that run the same ammo as old Glocks just fine. There is probably a slight difference in the recoil spring weight. In my opinion a gun that just barely runs on a given load, the best solution is to always bump the load for reliability for when it gets dirty etc

Edited by Sarge

Yeah, I am running it wet. Especially with DW and Baer I like them spraying when firing at least for the first 1000-2000. Definitely think I will run 500 more through of factory ammo with it wet and then try the reloads again. 

Edited by AZ1911

41 minutes ago, AZ1911 said:

Yeah, I am running it wet. Especially with DW and Baer I like them spraying when firing at least for the first 1000-2000. Definitely think I will run 500 more through of factory ammo with it wet and then try the reloads again. 

And as a test you could load 20 rounds with .2 more and try them. At least you can narrow down a solution.

Another option would be drop the recoil spring weight a pound in the problem gun. That should MORE OR LESS show same result as bumping the load

Sounds a bit goofy---but carefully eject one you have thumb bumped into battery and see if it has a scrape mark on the bullet on the

side that was at the top of the chamber.   I've had truncated cone 9mm bullets scrape on the sharp edge of the step the case mouth

headspaces against.  Chambering cutter leaves a tiny burr, bullet scrapes across it just enough to slow the slide.   Frustrated the heck out

of me until I figured it out.   I polished the edge with a fine Cratex cone from 10-2 o'clock and the problem went away.  

Definitely not ahead of the extractor.  I did check that I will look at the other suggestions next range visit. I have not chronoed them. I will do that next time. 

I have a bunch of of recoil springs on order for multiple guns. I picked up some 9 and 8 pound ones just to try. Worst case is I am out a few buck for springs I don't need.But my next round of loads I will be bumping up the charge a bit. I won't change the OAL as I have them at the max length I can and still work in all my 9mm guns.

6 hours ago, terrapin said:

If you have that many loaded, you could consider seating them .025 deeper by running them through the seating die. That should increase the pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I myself have done this a few times, I can’t with a clear conscience recommend it to somebody I don’t know has a very clear grasp of what they are getting themselves into. While I know it can be done I will always recommend a slight charge increase over shortening loads.