Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO Trigger Modification

B585

I know we can now use aftermarket triggers, but I have never seen this anywhere so I wanted to verify it is legal.  Can I add tape to my stock trigger on the front of it?  I have large hands and fairly longer fingers and have found that if I can get the trigger to break in a more forward position, I have better trigger control.  Thanks 

D7 21.4 applies here.   "Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are specifically allowed."   

I think "but not limited to" in this case, would cover what you are asking about.  Will see what more experienced folks say. 

Please note that other clauses in the body of the competition rules require that a “trigger mechanism must, at all times, function safely” (5.1.4), that handguns must be “serviceable and

safe” (5.1.6) and that the Range Master is the final authority on the definition of “safety” as it  pertains to the mechanism of the gun ( 8.1.2.4). It is the competitor’s responsibility to be able to demonstrate at any time that all factory safety mechanisms are functional, regardless of whether they are internal or external.

So I dont see anywhere it is specifically not allowed. The above does apply, so depending on the type of trigger,  adding tape could be an issue. jwhittin quoted a rule but that rule applies to grips not triggers. 

This rule I think would get you by. Specifically after market parts, which tape is definitely after market.

Exchange of minor EXTERNAL

components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin

retainers, pins,

extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb

safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors

MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.

Thank you.  Even after reading 21.6, I guess that could be subject to interpretation but I would assume this would be legal since it would be an aftermarket accessory to the trigger.  Since it is an X5 there shouldn’t be an issue with safety like there could be on a Glock like trigger.

Again, thanks for your insight.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, waktasz said:

Trigger shoes are not legal and adding mass to an X5 trigger that has a history of questionable drop safety may not be a good idea. 

This.  Building up the trigger's face is a de facto trigger shoe.  Not allowed.

Traditionally (like, when that prohibition was written), trigger shoes fit over a standard trigger, were wider, and most were secured by small set screws. They were primarily used on 1911 triggers. The problem was the 'wider' part. They would extend beyond the width of the trigger guard and could cause the gun to fire when inserting into a holster. Very dangerous. I think their popularity began back in the Bullseye Match days when holsters were not used on the firing line.

Building up just the face of the trigger with tape would seem to avoid this problem, but I'd take a lot of care with it, and test thoroughly before having any live ammo in the gun. And as noted above, the extra weight on the trigger could be an issue if dropped. 

4 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

What is this about "trigger shoe not allowed"?  Every aftermarket external trigger includes the trigger shoe. 

A trigger shoe is not the trigger blade, which is what you're referring to.  A trigger shoe is an add-on that makes the trigger wider and/or thicker front to back.

3 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Traditionally (like, when that prohibition was written), trigger shoes fit over a standard trigger, were wider, and most were secured by small set screws. They were primarily used on 1911 triggers. The problem was the 'wider' part. They would extend beyond the width of the trigger guard and could cause the gun to fire when inserting into a holster. Very dangerous. I think their popularity began back in the Bullseye Match days when holsters were not used on the firing line.

Building up just the face of the trigger with tape would seem to avoid this problem, but I'd take a lot of care with it, and test thoroughly before having any live ammo in the gun. And as noted above, the extra weight on the trigger could be an issue if dropped. 

Trigger shoes aren't limited to those that make the blade wider.  Those are the ones most people think of, but they are not the only ones.

By definition, a trigger shoe is anything that fits over the original trigger blade to change its shape in any dimension.  As an RO, I would not allow any add on to a trigger blade in any stage I'm officiating.  If the shooter wants to arbitrate, so be it.