Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used Super 1050 - Estimating Total Rounds

I'm going to look at a used 1050. 

1.  How would you estimate the total number of rounds loaded?  From the casefeed tube, I can see that the there has been a lot of rounds loaded.  But how many is too much?

2.  What are the common wear areas to check first?

I don't think that the Casefeed drop tube condition is really a good indicator since it is plastic and shows shadows from the cases easily.  Plus, it could have easily been changed or cleaned.  I would think that excess play in the mechanical parts would be a better indicator. How much slop is in the handle? Did the owner lube the unit well?  Are there sign of grease over load. Ask to see his grease-gun. If he doesn't have one, then he wasn't greasing it nor doing proper maintenance.

Remember that any worn parts can be replaced if you get it.

Maybe a good question here is why doesn't Dillon have a built-in counter, like a car odometer, that can't be reset? It could be used for more than one purpose.

Edited by GDIS46

3 hours ago, GDIS46 said:

Maybe a good question here is why doesn't Dillon have a built-in counter, like a car odometer, that can't be reset? It could be used for more than one purpose.

Hard to find 8 digit counters!  Just kidding.

Nolan

8 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

Under the shell plate, primer slide area, primer rocker, and case feed housing all show wear. 

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Primer slide mechanism.

The pawl / lever under the shellplate at the back of the press.

These show wear the fastest... I think.

But what is normal wear and what is not?

Checking for slop in the handle is not a good indicator I think because 1050 is a sloppy press from factory be design.

I would crab the the tool head and move it from side to side to see if there is any movement between the shaft and shaft body-fram,those two parts are the most expensive. The rest of the parts can be replaced. You will find a lot of movement in the handle I would doubt there would be much wear on the handle shaft and bearings those parts are sloppy by design.

My RL 1050 has over well over 100K rounds, I have no idea.  It was used commercially for years before I bought it and I've loaded 15-20K on it since then.  The case feed tube is almost black.  It still works fine but at my last maintenance tear-down I noticed that the primer punch is looking pretty worn.  I called Dillon to order a new small primer punch ($15.99) and primer punch spring ($3.99) and a 9mm decapping spring 'cause I lost the original one.  They suggested I also replace the slide roll pin & sleave ($3.98) and a cam guide bolt ($6.99), effectively a refresh of much of the primer mechanism high wear parts.  I also decided to get a new case feed tube ($17.99) since I was going to have to pay for shipping anyway.  Total cost was $59.93 including shipping.  

As long as it's in working order at the time, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used 1050 (again).  Dillon can help you with any/all parts you might need and it won't break the bank.

273K on a previously-used 1050.  The only obvious wear thing from that many rounds was the back of the shellplate index pawl and those can be replaced.  I've heard of wear on the primer feed actuator stud that sticks out and works the arm back and forth, but not seen it myself since I put a drop of oil on it every now and then after hearing of that 15 years ago.

Dillon may still stock all the old 1050 parts if that's what you're looking at, so the only really terminal problems are main shaft / frame worn out.  Way back when Dillon (the very-unofficial rep) said (on a slightly different topic):

The shellplate is the most commonly damaged part due to misadjustment of either the swage rod or the swage backup die. Use of an auto-drive often breaks the crankshaft, link arm and crankarm. Overswaging, or repeated swaging of primed brass,will fracture the bottom of the swage rod.If the rocker bolt or case feed plunger roller bolt back out they will bend. The rubber sleeve on the back of the primer slide is a wear item. It is merely a short piece of 1/8" automotive vacuum hose. The primer punch return spring will collapse after a while,requiring replacement. Those are the parts most frequently damaged. We estimate the life of the frame/shaft assembly to be in excess of 3 million rounds, as long as everything is cleaned and lubed as needed. I must say, if most users took the same care of their cars as they do their reloaders, cars wouldn't last 50,000 miles!

• 4 weeks later...