Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Practice Drills?

Demus319

So what drills do you do at your range to get ready for ICORE match or just your local match!

I do a lot of plate rack, And add weak & strong hand.

double traps from draw to steel plate

on the move doubles on paper at different distance. 
To mix it up I use my SW 617. Lots of fun. 

It all depends on what your worst at, work on that the most.
Currently for me that's accuracy at in between ranges (10 to 15 yd) so I've been running lots of targets at those ranges, mixed with closer paper and some longer steel to make me speed up and slow down.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I suggest to practice everything once or twice and then move to the skills that need work.

When I shot PPC, we would practice shoot 1 or 2 (150 - 300 rds) matches and then practice the skills that needed work.

I do everything that the bottom feeders practice; movement, position entry & exit. Target transitions probably get you the biggest time gain. Reloads should be practiced in dry fire, 2 seconds is a reasonable time.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

I do everything that the bottom feeders practice; movement, position entry & exit. Target transitions probably get you the biggest time gain. Reloads should be practiced in dry fire, 2 seconds is a reasonable time.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

Two seconds from last shot, reload, next shot?

Edited by ysrracer

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

I think that’s reasonable. I practice “Burkett” reloads which I take the empty gun and at the buzzer, open the cylinder, hit the extractor to remove the hypothetical empty brass and then place a speed loader in the chamber but not pressing it so the rounds load. I can do that right now at 1.3 sec. I set the timer to do 40 reps which is a bit over 5 minutes. 

Shooting Classic I’d spend more time picking up rounds off the floor than I would actually practicing so this “Burkett” is a compromise on reload training. I do the full reload when I go into my 6-reload-6 portion of the night.

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

That is how they are normally timed.  and 2 seconds is pretty sporty, I was able to make GM with only a 2.3x second standing reload. 

To me for matches the biggest thing for reloads it to not have them be significantly slower than standing reloads, and make the goal of every moving reload to be ready to fire as soon as you get to the next location, so basically moving 2 feet or 10 feet takes about the same 2.5 ish seconds because I have to reload and thats the limiter.

Yes. I occasionally hit 1.95 with the 625. My 627 is probably closer to 2.3, but that's with full length special brass.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

23 minutes ago, PatJones said:

Yes. I occasionally hit 1.95 with the 625. My 627 is probably closer to 2.3, but that's with full length special brass.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

Any chance you can video yourself doing a reload, and post it or send it to me?

3 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Are there any videos that show what you're talking about?

Thanks

Of the Burkett reload? I’m sure. Of what I specifically do? Not that I know of. I came up with it myself buts it’s not a terribly original idea. I can take a video but I don’t have any accounts I can post it on. If you PM me your number I can  make one and text it to you once I’m done with my “essential” work.

One of my new favorite drills is starting at 20-35 yards in a weird position.  Draw and engage 1-2 shots on a 10" plate.  Move at least 5 yards laterally, post up and reengage plate.  Then sprint from berm to berm shooting on the move, jump on berm, engage with 1-2 rounds, wash, rinse, and repeat.  It forces one to accurately fire at a reasonably small target with short notice and reload when empty.  If executed properly your heart rate will be through the roof and you'll subconsciously reload when empty no matter what position you're in.  By the time you get to 10 yards you should have covered lots of ground and fired 30+ rounds.

13 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Umm, I'm not sure I could hit a 10" plate at 35 yards from a bench, let alone all that running around :)

Then I'd say start around 10 yards and practice drawing and engaging the target with two hits.  When you make two hits, step back a few paces and try again.  Keep going until you find your limit.  Head back to the 10 yard line and keep going.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, MattInTheHat said:

Best bang for buck/time I ever came up with was a long plate rack and reloading between every shot. The shakiness of grip, body, and trigger after a reload is a big deal.

This is pretty good advice, boys. 

15 hours ago, Carmoney said:

This is pretty good advice, boys. 

Also take your own rope to extend the plate rack reset, I usually played at 25 yards but the rope was only 15. If you can recover from a reload and quickly make a 25 yard shot, then you know your mechanics are working.