Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for 147 RN Blue Bullets for Shadow2

Rdelawder

Guys looking for OAL for 147 RN (.355) Blue Bullets to be fired through a Shadow2. Blue Bullet SKU 09-147RN-box. 

I'm looking for the longest length that people have had success with.  My gun club is closed because of covid19 so I can't test a small batch on my own. 

Thanks for the help

You should figure out the OAL for your specific barrel.

Remove the barrel from the slide. Take a shot casing. Not one that has been resized. You should be able to seat a bullet in it. Make sure it's long. Now push it into the barrel slowly till it seats all the way. Now slowly pull it out. Measure. Do it a couple of more times. This will give you max OAL. Take that and reduce it a bit.

There you have it. Now load a round at that OAL and plunk test it in your barrel. Also test that it chambers from a mag. Good to go.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Thanks anonymous and chopaaka

i have 4 cz barrel that my standard OAL at 1.10 with Extreme 147 HP run 100%    

I bought the 147 blue bullets round nose because my STI Trojan just wasn't liking the the hollow points. 

Maybe it was wishful thinking, but I hoped someone else had gotten to something that worked with both guns. 

12 hours ago, Rdelawder said:

Guys looking for OAL for 147 RN (.355) Blue Bullets to be fired through a Shadow2. Blue Bullet SKU 09-147RN-box. 

I'm looking for the longest length that people have had success with.  My gun club is closed because of covid19 so I can't test a small batch on my own. 

Thanks for the help

What powder are you using?  You can ask for the load data for your specific powder and that's a good start.  Also, do a plunk test... Super easy to do! 

Titegroup 3.2 with 147 extreme hp is what I have been loading for production and carry optics with my cz's. I'm not worried about power factor, I need to figure out a oal with blue bullets the same weight but different profile. Just need a starting point. Please don't comment about pluck testing. I get it!

2 hours ago, Rdelawder said:

Titegroup 3.2 with 147 extreme hp is what I have been loading for production and carry optics with my cz's. I'm not worried about power factor, I need to figure out a oal with blue bullets the same weight but different profile. Just need a starting point. Please don't comment about pluck testing. I get it!

If you "get it" then why do you keep asking? You got your answer in post #2. Only your barrels can tell you the max length. Nothing else matters.

Edited by 4n2t0

I keep asking because this is a forum. I thought the chances of another shooter with a Shadow2 that also has chosen to give the blue bullets 147 RN a try might have already figured this out. 

I keep asking because the replies are data points that help make a educated discision on a starting point. 

I keep asking because a pluck test on a OAL that is short does ensure reliable function in live fire, and since I have no access to a place to shoot and test different lengths  because of the covid problem, I thought asking the question would be helpful.

I keep asking because I value the knowledge of the users of this forum. They have provide me with sound advise in the past and I respect and appreciate their replies. Including your. 

Thats way I asked again. 

1 hour ago, Rdelawder said:

Thats way I asked again. 

We tried that bullet profile and the longest I reliably could load in a CZ S2 stock barrel was 1.10. 

I think what people are telling you is actually shooting them doesn’t matter. What matters is to have a reliable OAL which runs in your gun. This means do some tests by starting long with the correct crimp (empty cartridge with no primer) and keep shorting it till it always plunks and fits & feeds in magazine. When I find that OAL I personally make 10 dummy rounds to verify they cycle as I rack the slide. 

I personally start at 1.15 and work my way shorter, which will almost be guaranteed not to function/plunk in you CZ.

Next step shoot them.

Since you can’t test them in live fire don’t make a huge amount until they are Chrono’d and verified as working the way you want them to. 

Hope this helps.  

oh one thing more, blues are good (I like them in 40 180 gr and 45 230) but there are better, longer OAL, profiles for 147 In 9mm.

Edited by HesedTech

We tried that bullet profile and the longest I reliably could load in a CZ S2 stock barrel was 1.10. 

I think what people are telling you is actually shooting them doesn’t matter. What matters is to have a reliable OAL which runs in your gun. This means do some tests by starting long with the correct crimp (empty cartridge with no primer) and keep shorting it till it always plunks and fits & feeds in magazine. When I find that OAL I personally make 10 dummy rounds to verify they cycle as I rack the slide. 

I personally start at 1.15 and work my way shorter, which will almost be guaranteed not to function/plunk in you CZ.

Next step shoot them.

Since you can’t test them in live fire don’t make a huge amount until they are Chrono’d and verified as working the way you want them to. 

Hope this helps.  

oh one thing more, blues are good (I like them in 40 180 gr and 45 230) but there are better, longer OAL, profiles for 147 In 9mm.

Edited Tuesday at 07:36 PM by HesedTech

Not a shadow barrel but tanfo I had to load the blue 147 round nose at 1.085 to feed reliable because that profile is really fat at the point vs regular plated bullets I now use 147 flat nose and the load longer

• 4 months later...

Reviving an older thread rather than start a new.

So...my new shadow 2 is requiring some pretty short OAL's.  HAP 125's I have to load to 1.059 (plunked at 1.069)

Just got done plunking some Blue Bullets RN 147's and I've got some concerns.  Plunked at 1.071 so my target OAL would be around 1.061.  But I do believe this is going to mean a compressed load.  I haven't loaded these yet.  Wanted to get some advice here first.

Brass: Starline once fired myself.  .746

Bullet length: .681-.694. Surprised by the inconsistency.  But I guess it makes sense with the coating?

Powder: 3.1-3.6gr VV N320 - Target will be 130PF

Empty space in cartridge at 3.6gr N320: .28 (This is approximate,  I did my best with the stick part of the calipers.)

Can I get confirmation that this will be a compressed load?  What am I getting into with compressed loads?  I can skip this altogether and just use these blues in the Glock or something else, not a big deal.  If I'm potentially going to run into problems or safety issues, I'd rather just skip it.  And I'm also not looking to ream the barrel at this time.  I might do that eventually, but don't see enough reason to do it now.  

Last question, do I win any awards for tightest CZ chamber in the forums?

You’ll should be around 3.2 and those bullets run heavier than 147gr. 

Plus that short you might end up around 3.0gr idk

You'll going to be touching the powder but compressing ??I don’t think so. 

But I’m Not really sure how much compressing of the powder would be considered a compressed load.  If that makes sense. 

@mpmo I've been shooting the Blue Bullet 147 RN out of my CZ75 for years.  With such a short o.a.l I'd ream the barrel and run something longer.  Gives you flexibility/reliability with whatever bullet you want to shoot.  Having dealt with tight chambers and throats in many semi autos and revolvers over the years, reaming is the best option.  At first I was hesitant to immediately recut new guns, but that has changed with experience.