Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hoarders

konkapot

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see. Clinton assault weapons ban, Obama's election, Sandy Hook and now corona virus. Some call it hoarding and some call it being prepared. 
I went through it with the Assault Weapons ban and decided I preferred to be prepared. 

Yup. Just like the Fed and poopy economic policies lead to bomb bust every 10 years...every few years something leads to a bomb bust cycle in firearms/ammo/reloading/etc.

I’ll never be caught with my pants down. Lessons learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/2/2020 at 6:58 PM, aandabooks said:

They are in stock in my basement.  I don't get caught in panic buying or shortages.  Learned my lessons as a newer reloader during the Sandy Hook time.  Never again not being able to reload with my powders and primers of choice.

Same here; it was a bad time to get into reloading.  Now, I have enough supplies to last a couple of years, but I am always replacing what I use when I can. 

On 4/3/2020 at 11:41 AM, konkapot said:

Thanks Optima. They still had some. 

good deal.  I just looked and they still show  that they have some.  But they emailed me yesterday saying they needed to substitute an item on my order.  Thought they still show they have it in stock today.  So I’m guessing their in-stock status isn’t 100% accurate, at least right now with the craziness.    I’m well stocked on my normal small pistols, but I thought I was a little low on my low volume stuff (large pistol, large rifle) so I added some. 

I quit using small pistol primers a long time ago when they first went crazy on the price.  I found out that small rifle primer, does all the things I need. my 9 mm, 38/357, 40 Smith & Wesson pistols. But small pistol primers will not work in any of my rifles. I have also found that large rifle primers will work in my 45 ACP 45 Long Colt and 44 Magnum and give me better ignition for a more accurate round.

19 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I quit using small pistol primers a long time ago when they first went crazy on the price.  I found out that small rifle primer, does all the things I need. my 9 mm, 38/357, 40 Smith & Wesson pistols. But small pistol primers will not work in any of my rifles. I have also found that large rifle primers will work in my 45 ACP 45 Long Colt and 44 Magnum and give me better ignition for a more accurate round.

Is there any reason not to use small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers?

Didn't realize it was possible to use srps instead of spps

18 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Is there any reason not to use small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers?

No, in fact they give you a cleaner more uniform ignition.

54 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Many striker fired guns won't reliably fire an SRP 

6 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Many striker fired guns won't reliably fire an SRP 

I've never had one single failure with Federal small rifle primers in any of my glocks or my reduced firing spring Beretta 92. Back when I was a cowboy shooter and had super reduced wolf Springs in my cowboy guns they fired every time Federal makes a very soft primer.

18 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I've never had one single failure with Federal small rifle primers in any of my glocks or my reduced firing spring Beretta 92. Back when I was a cowboy shooter and had super reduced wolf Springs in my cowboy guns they fired every time Federal makes a very soft primer.

Kind of makes it pointless to use an SRP then.   I've had a lot of failures with S&B SRP in my Glocks so I won't load any pistol ammo with SRP anymore because of it. 

22 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Kind of makes it pointless to use an SRP then.   I've had a lot of failures with S&B SRP in my Glocks so I won't load any pistol ammo with SRP anymore because of it. 

I I'm sorry but, I'm not understanding your post of what you're trying to say, or why you quoted me.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:54 PM, PhotoRecon said:

Midsouth Shooters Supply is accepting back orders on Win Small Pistol primers...beats checking all the time and gets you a place in line...

Powder Valley just got in a bunch of powder...you never know when something might show up...

Looks like they've added even more powder in the past 24 hours. I was trying to pick up some SWMP powder with my bulk order of Federal SPM primers on Friday (April 3rd), and they were completely out of stock on the SWMP. Decided to just buyout all their remaining Federal SPM at the time; low and behold, after checking again today before buying them for a worse price from Graf's, Powder Valley now has SWMP in stock! Bought out all the 8lb'ers just now... still 14x 1lb'ers remaining as of this post.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:26 PM, iflyskyhigh said:

Yup. Being snarky or blaming it on “hoarders” isn’t going to make them available quicker. If you shoot 4000/month surprised you don’t have a stash? Every time there is free hazmat or rebates buy a few. Keep at least a couple years worth on hand (if funds allow it, but I’m guessing they do if you’re shooting 4000/month). Then you have time to restock as they become available in “crazy” times. I know that advice doesn’t do you any good now, but I bet you won’t let it happen again...

Pretty much,,, Think I was able to quadrupal dip on discounts last summer.. Free shipping , free hazmat,  Birthday $10 off coupon code, then the primer mfg had a rebate on 5k plus orders.. Think when all was said and done ended up paying about $22 per K delivered for 50k.
Based on inflation I think last year or so have been the golden era for cheap ammo and components

Pretty much,,, Think I was able to quadrupal dip on discounts last summer.. Free shipping , free hazmat,  Birthday $10 off coupon code, then the primer mfg had a rebate on 5k plus orders.. Think when all was said and done ended up paying about $22 per K delivered for 50k.
Based on inflation I think last year or so have been the golden era for cheap ammo and components

We really can’t over emphasize this enough.

I have a lifetime supply of primers.

Several decades worth of powder.

And at least a couple years worth of projectiles.

And I didn’t come by that stash overnight. Or by hoarding.

I came by it little by little over a decade of being prepared, so no matter what I can do the thing I love, and no matter what (although I doubt it will ever come to that) I can protect my family and myself.

9 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Okay. Maybe a little hyperbolic. But for sure several decades worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the rest of the post didn't show up. I meant to add I to, have accumulated my stash over the years $50 to $100 Every payday I would buy something for reloading weather powders or primers or bullets or brass something. that every payday 50 to $100 got put into reloading supplies, if needed them or not.

On 4/4/2020 at 9:38 PM, usmc1974 said:

Good to know. I had loaded several hundred .45 ACP on a 550, and was having that 'clunky' feel on the primer upstroke. I also noticed they were sitting higher than normal. After much diagnosing of the press and headscratching, I realized I had inadvertently opened a box of LR primers instead of LP primers. Doing some reading everyone said I 'should' be fine, but no one fessed up to having personally shot them with LR instead of LP. So those rounds still sat in the bottom of my ammo crate until I had time to go out and test. My main concern was with them sitting a little higher than normal. 

30 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I guess the rest of the post didn't show up. I meant to add I to, have accumulated my stash over the years $50 to $100 Every payday I would buy something for reloading weather powders or primers or bullets or brass something. that every payday 50 to $100 got put into reloading supplies, if needed them or not.

Yeah, mine was the same way - plus any gun show where they had decent prices and no hazmat, I bought.....whether i needed them or not. I can't go decades at my normal shooting volume, but I could run through a solid year of normal competition volumes before I run out. It may not be with my exact powder preference - but it'll go bang. My main limiting factor really is storage capacity. 

On 4/6/2020 at 4:40 PM, OptimiStick said:

Good to know. I had loaded several hundred .45 ACP on a 550, and was having that 'clunky' feel on the primer upstroke. I also noticed they were sitting higher than normal. After much diagnosing of the press and headscratching, I realized I had inadvertently opened a box of LR primers instead of LP primers. Doing some reading everyone said I 'should' be fine, but no one fessed up to having personally shot them with LR instead of LP. So those rounds still sat in the bottom of my ammo crate until I had time to go out and test. My main concern was with them sitting a little higher than normal. 

While both small pistol and small rifle have same dimensions; the same can NOT be said for large pistol and large rifle. The cups on large rifle primers are deeper than on large pistol primers. NOT interchangeable as far as I have been able to tell...?

Anyone planning on using their stimulus money on reloading supplies or toward a new firearm?  I bought a Springer and powder & primers.  

Spend it quick. Before the inflation sets in.

I have more guns and reloading supplies than I might ever be able to use.

Maybe invest some in precious metals, or might even try and get dabble in crypto.

On 4/3/2020 at 7:48 AM, MikeyScuba said:

And those who claimed it was cheaper to buy than reload 9mm, yea not anymore.

100%

On 4/6/2020 at 10:26 AM, Joe4d said:

Ever since the last big shortage I learned the one thing I could not substitute (like powder) or make (like cast bullets) was primers.   I have been laying them a way for several yrs.  Go on sale, buy.   Free hazmat, buy.  On sale w/ free hazmat buy 4x etc.  Also my local sporting goods store swing by the reloading supplies if bricks of primers were in stock, SMP, SMR and Mag SM R I buy what they have.  

This last yr I stepped up my stocking of all components, then first of Feb I upped a few key things that looked low to me.    About March when the ammo shortages started I got the phone calls from my shooting buddies, finally wanting to take me up on showing them how to reload. "hay I am at the store what primers powder should I get"......"oh crap some dude just grabbed the last box of primers, ok where else can I get them??"  They were the ones going to the known places on line and buying with no control fearing they will have no ammo in 2 months. 

Next came the calls "ok all I could get were large primers, can we make them work in the 9mm?", goes on.  

At the risk of straying off -topic, for those of you with large amounts of primers and powder on hand, how are you safely storing it?

Primers are self-oxidizing, which makes them a very high risk fire hazard. NFPA regs allow only 10,000 primers to be stored in a residence, so if you've got 50k and your house burns down, chances are your insurance company will tell you to bugger off..