Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hoarders

konkapot

On 4/8/2020 at 10:09 PM, wgj3 said:

While both small pistol and small rifle have same dimensions; the same can NOT be said for large pistol and large rifle. The cups on large rifle primers are deeper than on large pistol primers. NOT interchangeable as far as I have been able to tell...?

Ive loaded 45/70 with large pistol primers without issue. In fact didnt have any noticable difference across the chrono either , allthough these were trapdoor level loads

7 hours ago, BentAero said:

At the risk of straying off -topic, for those of you with large amounts of primers and powder on hand, how are you safely storing it?

Primers are self-oxidizing, which makes them a very high risk fire hazard. NFPA regs allow only 10,000 primers to be stored in a residence, so if you've got 50k and your house burns down, chances are your insurance company will tell you to bugger off..

Care to quote a source ?
Seems I recall a state law to that effect somewhere in the midwest, but not any federal

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of straying off -topic, for those of you with large amounts of primers and powder on hand, how are you safely storing it?

Primers are self-oxidizing, which makes them a very high risk fire hazard. NFPA regs allow only 10,000 primers to be stored in a residence, so if you've got 50k and your house burns down, chances are your insurance company will tell you to bugger off..

Don’t swim after you eat. You’ll drown.

Don’t load your own SD ammo. You’ll spend the rest of your life in prison.

Don’t cross your eyes. You’ll get slapped on the back and stay that way.

53 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Don’t swim after you eat. You’ll drown.

Don’t load your own SD ammo. You’ll spend the rest of your life in prison.

Don’t cross your eyes. You’ll get slapped on the back and stay that way.

You forgot,  one

don't play with that or you'll go blind.

I never considered myself a hoarder to begin with, cuz I'm a shooter. I don't make a lot of money, and want to keep shooting. Until lately ammunitions been so expensive I had to reload, but now it's come down to a reasonable rate $25 for 150 124 fmjfrom browning. And $130 for 200 rounds of 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 Creedmoor from Grabagun. I kind of put my reloading supplies away cuz I don't think it'll always be this cheap. Then I still buy a small amount every payday.

You forgot,  one

I never considered myself a hoarder to begin with, cuz I'm a shooter. I don't make a lot of money, and want to keep shooting. Until lately ammunitions been so expensive I had to reload, but now it's come down to a reasonable rate $25 for 150 124 fmjfrom browning. And $130 for 200 rounds of 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 Creedmoor from Grabagun. I kind of put my reloading supplies away cuz I don't think it'll always be this cheap. Then I still buy a small amount every payday.

I knew I was forgetting a couple.

Feel free to keep add more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

You forgot,  one

I’m one of those weird ones who actually enjoys reloading, instead of just viewing it as a necessary evil to shoot more.  Cost has come down, but I can’t find any that feel as good to me as the ones I roll. 

16 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Ive loaded 45/70 with large pistol primers without issue. In fact didnt have any noticable difference across the chrono either , allthough these were trapdoor level loads

Care to quote a source ?
Seems I recall a state law to that effect somewhere in the midwest, but not any federal

NFPA 495 Chapter 11, paragraph 5.4

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Info-Doc-Primers.pdf

Corona got you really bored huh?

Do you know a serous reloaded / shooter with less than 10,000 primers?

Just like no one can find a single court case referencing home made SD rounds and liability....well you know.

Another reason I want the state out of my life and why I prefer to live in a “live at your preferred level of risk” world.

Anyway, backing to joys of hoarding.

8 hours ago, BentAero said:

"In most cases, compliance with NFPA standards is voluntary. However, in some cases, federal or state Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) agencies have incorporated wording from NFPA standards into regulations. In these cases, complying with the standards is mandatory."

not a law, just a recommendation.. 
As mentioned I only recall a single state that made that recommendation into law.
Not saying it isnt a federal law or a law in other states..  Would be happy to be proven wrong if you can quote a source or the law

8 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Another reason I want the state out of my life and why I prefer to live in a “live at your preferred level of risk” world.

I'm with you 100% let me worry about my life and my world and what's best for me. But we, better stop here in this type of discussion, or the post will get closed. Just saying no politics.

Edited by usmc1974

I'm with you 100% let me worry about my life and my world and what's best for me. But we, better stop here in this type of discussion, or the post will get closed. Just saying no politics.

Works for me. I like talking about hoarding more anyway.

Agree with both above points.  

as for how I keep them - I  Leave them in their original packaging ,  break them up into smaller batches and store them in plastic ammo cans.   They are spread out over 5 locations ( 4 storage + my about-to load-area ).  Never had an issue and not worried about them.

10 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Corona got you really bored huh?

Do you know a serous reloaded / shooter with less than 10,000 primers?

Just like no one can find a single court case referencing home made SD rounds and liability....well you know.

Anyway, backing to joys of hoarding.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a small warehouse full of primers. I'm asking how do you guys safely store that large quantity of primers?

I'm trying to point out, a small wastebasket/minor fire can instantly turn into a major fire if there are stacks of unprotected primers in the room. They ignite at only 250°f, and if one ignites, they all ignite.

Just because it's not 'law' doesn't mean your shouldn't protect yourself. Would you store a 5 gallon gasoline can in your reloading room? But hey, it's your house, your family.

Be safe.

Store in a slow burning box like wood... at least 1 inch. Door should not be locked closed. 

I built a box out of 2x12’s. I store them in my workshop.

You could put a fire sprinkler system in. I plan to eventually. It won’t put out a fire that is burning from smokeless powder but if another fire starts (electrical, etc) perhaps it will be put out before lighting up the powder or primers.

Sprinkler systems have their own codes and if you put one in your house and it floods your home, insurance may not like that either. Again, mine is in a shop in the yard for the main reason that I don’t want it in the house.

Edited by DJRyan13

53 minutes ago, DJRyan13 said:

You could put a fire sprinkler system in. I plan to eventually. It won’t put out a fire that is burning from smokeless powder but if another fire starts (electrical, etc) perhaps it will be put out before lighting up the powder or primers.

Sprinkler systems have their own codes and if you put one in your house and it floods your home, insurance may not like that either. Again, mine is in a shop in the yard for the main reason that I don’t want it in the house.

Our state has started mandating sprinklers in new homes. You should probably let your insurance company know, because your rates are going to go up with the sprinkler. They are more likely to cause flood damage then prevent fire damage. If you don't tell them you have one, like you said it probably wont be covered if it malfunctions. 

Our state has started mandating sprinklers in new homes. You should probably let your insurance company know, because your rates are going to go up with the sprinkler. They are more likely to cause flood damage then prevent fire damage. If you don't tell them you have one, like you said it probably wont be covered if it malfunctions. 

My house was built in 94. Has a whole house sprinkle system.

I live in the middle of the desert. It’s a tinder box 9/10 of the year. If my house catches fire and I don’t happen to be standing right there my house is going to burn to the ground in a matter of minutes. Nothing is going to make any difference. I’m not sure the sprinkler system will make a difference.

My primers are in my garage, thousands and thousands of them, along with everything else. Including powder. And chemicals. No gas, but plenty of other flammable liquids. And I’d store gas if I needed it.

The nanny state has infected our brains with fear of the unknown and things that “might” happen. Doesn’t mean it won’t or can’t. But come on.

I have no space left to build anything else for special “storage”.

I’ll roll the dice. If my house burns to the ground, and primers or powder were the cause, I’ll let everyone know so you all can say I told you so, and I’ll admit I was wrong. (And yes I know that was a run on sentence)

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

yeah, That’s why I built the workshop. I don’t expect insurance to cover a flood in there (nor would I tell them). I would rather it not catch fire as it’s close to fence line and trees... my bigger worry.

Edited by DJRyan13