Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Tactical 2011 vs Staccato

KevH

I believe lapd swat rocks a staccato as well. 

The staccato was designed to break into the slaw enforcement market. I’ve handled one. They’re nice. Not infinity nice but nice. Priced appropriately for what they’re designed and finished for 

3 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I believe lapd swat rocks a staccato as well. 

The staccato was designed to break into the slaw enforcement market. I’ve handled one. They’re nice. Not infinity nice but nice. Priced appropriately for what they’re designed and finished for 

Exactly my point.  Most cops making less than 100K a year, understandably won't pay 4k+ for a duty pistol.  $1999 w/o an optics cut is a decent deal, then take 15% off for your LE discount and it's more than fair.  

I know many people who carry a Staccato on duty, including SOG guys. And others who have trained with the LA PD/SO guys. 

Keep in mind many of them do not buy the gun themselves, it is department issued and they don’t even have a say in it. Also, the reviews are very mixed. One coworker of mine switched away from them and had to personally purchase a new Glock to make the change.

The point I’m trying to make is that Staccatos on duty have been far from all sunshine and roses in my experience…

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

Like any of these pistols, magazine springs are a key point in making the guns run.  I replace all of my STI mag springs with 11 coil ISMI mag springs and I never have issues whether using them in a Staccato, Cheely or Atlas.  

I’m sure that’s some of the issue, I will let some people know. 

There’s also been other reliability problems that don’t seem mag spring  related. And red dots that won’t stay tight even with red loctite, which is a head scratcher.  

5 minutes ago, Silent said:

I’m sure that’s some of the issue, I will let some people know. 

There’s also been other reliability problems that don’t seem mag spring  related. And red dots that won’t stay tight even with red loctite, which is a head scratcher.  

Most cops including their armorers don’t maintain their guns like we do. The red dot though. That’s a weird one

5 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Like any of these pistols, magazine springs are a key point in making the guns run.  I replace all of my STI mag springs with 11 coil ISMI mag springs and I never have issues whether using them in a Staccato, Cheely or Atlas.  

When I compared STI, MBX, and SVI mags I notice that only STI mags have the unusual large gap between round 1 and round 2 that's supposed to be indicative of potential issues.  This is with the latest STI mags and all stock components.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Somewhere in this thread, the price of an Infinity was mentioned.  Just to confirm, I did a gunbuilder with SV on a fairly plain IDPA pistol with DLC.  I was quoted $6,600 with one magazine.  I've bought several in my Team days at $3400.  

Is that recent?  Maybe they just had a big price hike.  I know when I placed the orders I referenced above they mentioned material pricing was skyrocketing.

1 hour ago, FALAR said:

Is that recent?  Maybe they just had a big price hike.  I know when I placed the orders I referenced above they mentioned material pricing was skyrocketing.

When you manufacture most all parts in house there’s no justification for that type of price hike for “materials”.

I think people have used the “supply chain issue” to allow for massive price increases thinking their client base will just “go with it”. 

talking about you, Atlas and SVI…

2 minutes ago, notanoperator9 said:

When you manufacture most all parts in house there’s no justification for that type of price hike for “materials”.

I think people have used the “supply chain issue” to allow for massive price increases thinking their client base will just “go with it”. 

talking about you, Atlas and SVI…

That statement has no basis in reality.  Material cost for domestic produced metals is up like 50%.  Some stuff like stainless sheet used to make mag tubes, you can't even find.  And if you do, you have to pay crazy prices.  And inflation across the board is at a 40 year high.  Material costs are up, energy costs are up, labor costs are up, shipping and transportation cost are up.  Do you not think that adds to the overall production costs for manufacturers?  My wife's company raised prices 3x last year and still can't keep up with the rising costs.  

4 minutes ago, notanoperator9 said:

When you (consumer) can build a gun with same finish (dlc), just as tight, excellent barrel fit, sub 2# “safe” trigger, using the same companies parts for less than half of a retail gun of the same company, that’s a problem. 

Really?  Where do you get the Atlas and SV frames for your guns?

1 minute ago, ltdmstr said:

Really?  Where do you get the Atlas and SV frames for your guns?

Cheely, PT Trinity. Readily available. Slide and small parts are readily available. 

missing the point entirely. If I a consumer, can source ALL the parts at RETAIL with shipping charges on multiple occasions to and from and have a gunsmith build the entire gun AND still be under half of what some people are charging, you point above is moot regarding the costs of i inflation and the high costs these days. 

Mag pricing hasn’t changed, 2011 frames and slides havent changed. So where are all these massive costs coming from? Walking from the Haas to the work bench? Lol

just my 2cents

Material costs are up in huge ways.

Q3 of 2020 a ton of steel was going for $491 these days is $1900

Iron, wood, precious metals have all gone up.

Freight for a $40 container from CN in Q3 2020 was $4200 today its $17,800

That's why there are definitely price increases. Definitely give props to people who haven't raised prices because it means that profits have gone down for them. Oh, and side note, if you are thinking that prices haven't gone up, but you realize that the cost of raw materials has gone up, then think about the profit margin that they had before, and still have now. 

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

two weeks ago

Oh, I bet that's it then as I ordered 2 guns in May that I'm about to get.  Looks like my next 2 are going to cost significantly more.

When I was chatting with Brandon we discussed the insane increase in copper (I sell it) and he told me that they consume a lot in the EDM process.

Edited by FALAR

• 1 month later...

I recently lucked out and bought a Staccato P DPO “used” for 1800.  I’m no armorer but I swear this pistol had no wear marks!  I like the fact that the optic footprint is already set for the DPP and the Romeo 1Pro.  But I know Georgetown, Texas PD and the Texas Rangers carry the pistol for Duty use.