Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good PCC case for meets / the range?

Just picked up my first PCC - a JP GMR-15. Any recommendations for a good case for bringing to a meet?  I know what i need and have a good case for pistol competition but this type of competition is new to me so I'm looking for some advice. Thanks!

From my house to the range its in a locked hard case in my car and at the range to each shooting bay i use a scabbard.  A range cart is helpful since you still have to carry your other gear. Don't forget the safety flag, its a must have in competition. 

this has been discussed here a while back... i thought a scabbard would be my next purchase.. until someone brought to light... that a scabbard may cause one to sweep themselves more so than a zip up case.... causing you to go home early....... just saying... . 

I bought this one.  https://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-GPS-T35ART-5267-0018-Tactical-Equipment/dp/B00JH4W12A/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=GPS-T35ART&qid=1584462389&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1 

Good protection, and easy to get the PCC in and out of without sweeping yourself.  It has provisions to store a pistol with two mags, ear plugs and glasses in the external pouches, in addition to the four PCC mag pouches.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:40 AM, goldfish said:

From my house to the range its in a locked hard case in my car and at the range to each shooting bay i use a scabbard.  A range cart is helpful since you still have to carry your other gear. Don't forget the safety flag, its a must have in competition. 

Me too.  I use a wagon with scabbard mounted vertically.  

On 3/17/2020 at 10:53 AM, cecil said:

this has been discussed here a while back... i thought a scabbard would be my next purchase.. until someone brought to light... that a scabbard may cause one to sweep themselves more so than a zip up case.... causing you to go home early....... just saying... . 

I'm not sure why a scabbard is more likely to cause you to sweep yourself - can you explain?  

Phil 

Phil ..someone wrote it a couple on months ago on the B.E. forum...  i forgot his exact explanation.. but if my memory serves me correctly his explanation was ....a scabbard may be more prone to sweeping one's hand when removing or replacing a PCC...  i guess it is because a scabbard does not have a covering on the butt part of a PCC which would necessitate holding the scabbard lower which could cause someone to get DQed if not being very aware where the muzzle is pointed.. i dislike being DQed..  

i had thought i wanted a scabbard... but after reading his post ..i changed my mind on a scabbard.. try doing a search maybe you can find that post..   hope this helps.. 

cecil

Because in a scabbard the stock sticks out and is very obvious where the business end is pointed.  In a soft or hard case it does not show but you have to be aware where your gun's business end is pointed as you can also get DQed the same way when bagging and un-bagging.  Just like anything else, know your gear. 

I usually bag the PCC muzzle first then i grab the edge of the scabbard to pull the whole PCC in, lock and carry to cart.  With all this action, my hand is always behind the business end.  

Always remember in a match there are always other eyes watching you. 

https://byallen.com/product/wedge-tactical-case/https://byallen.com/product/wedge-tactical-case/

Just bought this - but mine had the stars and strips - light easy to handle - good on range bought the 41" Amazon good price $35

Also have the one mentioned by BCP great also - just a lot of Velcro on mag pouch sometime hard to open

Get one that tapers down so you can know front/barrel -  I have a rectangle one - keep having to flip around on make ready table as pointed in wrong direction - had to put a mark on barrel end of case  - did not want to open and get DQed for barrel facing wrong way!

had to replace the S&M model - nice case -  inside tore out  - my fault sharp comp and did not open all the way - tried to slide in - oops!

Received the bag from Amazon ( $24.99 for the 38" - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QOHJ7I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Here's a photo or two of my JP GMR-15 with factory stock extended all the way and C-More mounted. Looks like it would be too tight at first but zips up fine with that stock - not tight at all like this. If you're looking for bit more room, step up to the 42" for $1.00 more.  You can also see the size of the pockets in comparison to the 33rnd sticks. Closes fine on those as well, but for larger sticks would need to make some adaptations.  Hopefully this will illustrate the size for everyone for this case.  Seems OK to me but it hasn't been out in the field. I guess if I were buying another I would opt for the larger one just in case.

487286153_38_bagopen.thumb.jpg.2839e7bb1e151231b1a958cce3619251.jpg38bagclosed.thumb.jpg.d8ae04db8b40d12d04a2187ac26a3cff.jpgstix.thumb.jpg.b93917591934ef22aa388bd2f9b49917.jpg

Edited by lfine
add pix
On 3/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, cecil said:

Phil ..someone wrote it a couple on months ago on the B.E. forum...  i forgot his exact explanation.. but if my memory serves me correctly his explanation was ....a scabbard may be more prone to sweeping one's hand when removing or replacing a PCC...  i guess it is because a scabbard does not have a covering on the butt part of a PCC which would necessitate holding the scabbard lower which could cause someone to get DQed if not being very aware where the muzzle is pointed.. i dislike being DQed..  

i had thought i wanted a scabbard... but after reading his post ..i changed my mind on a scabbard.. try doing a search maybe you can find that post..   hope this helps.. 

cecil

Thanks - I'll look for  the post.  I keep my scabbard mounted in my wagon vertically, pull it near the start, remove the gun and walk to the line.  Really the same as guys who have them mounted in stroller type carts.  I actually consider it safer since it is never horizontal until I am pointing it downrange.  In a bag, it is pointed at.....whatever.  Always a chamber flag in it also.  

Thanks.

Phil 

On 3/24/2020 at 11:13 AM, goldfish said:

Because in a scabbard the stock sticks out and is very obvious where the business end is pointed.  In a soft or hard case it does not show but you have to be aware where your gun's business end is pointed as you can also get DQed the same way when bagging and un-bagging.  Just like anything else, know your gear. 

I usually bag the PCC muzzle first then i grab the edge of the scabbard to pull the whole PCC in, lock and carry to cart.  With all this action, my hand is always behind the business end.  

Always remember in a match there are always other eyes watching you. 

Again, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, my muzzle is always pointed at the ground, and it is obvious that is the case - until I"m at the start then I pull it out pointing downrange.  I have pretty picky RSOs at one event I attend and they've never had a problem with this.  

When I used a regular bag, it was from Savior - pretty nice - this one: https://www.saviorequipment.com/collections/rifle-bags/products/the-patriot-35-single-rifle-case

My scabbard is this one:  https://www.saviorequipment.com/collections/rifle-bags/products/standard-rifle-scabbard-single-sling-case

Phil 

5 hours ago, philmadxx said:

Again, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, my muzzle is always pointed at the ground, and it is obvious that is the case - until I"m at the start then I pull it out pointing downrange.  I have pretty picky RSOs at one event I attend and they've never had a problem with this.  

When I used a regular bag, it was from Savior - pretty nice - this one: https://www.saviorequipment.com/collections/rifle-bags/products/the-patriot-35-single-rifle-case

My scabbard is this one:  https://www.saviorequipment.com/collections/rifle-bags/products/standard-rifle-scabbard-single-sling-case

Phil 

Phil... 2 of the ranges i shoot ... requires that a PCC muzzle either be pointed at a berm .. ...  or UP... never DOWN when out of a carrying case.... (their reasoning a foot is easily swept muzzle down) .. which dictated my choice of a PCC case.. 

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Eberlestock rifle backpack.  The pack carries all my ammo, water, mags etc. along with the riffle.  Its heavy enough that I place it on the ground pointing down range and pull the rifle out without it moving.  One and done, not having to carry multiple items.  When I bag it I either do it down range or pointed at a berm under the ro's direction and slide it in standing behind it.  Works and no one has had a issue with it.

https://eberlestock.com/collections/hunting-packs/products/x1-euro