Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P - adding weight for CO

recoilchamp

Now that the weight limit for CO is raised to 59 ounces, what mods are there to bring the M&P (24 oz) in line with the weights of something like the p320 x5 legion (43.5 oz)?

I see Carver's tungsten guide rod at 2.5 oz, and Taylor freelance brass base pads at 5 oz - anything else?

Also saw on Facebook someone talking about making a metal backstrap adding 7 oz - not sure that's legal?  

BAC165CD-30F0-48E9-8128-966EE3200904.thumb.jpeg.fb2873430ed0a341037465a06006e51f.jpeg
Could you find the Facebook post on this again? I'd like to message the guy and ask if he is willing to make another one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2020 at 1:56 AM, recoilchamp said:

Now that the weight limit for CO is raised to 59 ounces, what mods are there to bring the M&P (24 oz) in line with the weights of something like the p320 x5 legion (43.5 oz)?

I see Carver's tungsten guide rod at 2.5 oz, and Taylor freelance brass base pads at 5 oz - anything else?

Also saw on Facebook someone talking about making a metal backstrap adding 7 oz - not sure that's legal?  

BAC165CD-30F0-48E9-8128-966EE3200904.jpeg

This back strap looks awesome and it is a great idea. I would definitely be into getting one

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/21/2020 at 7:26 AM, conditionone said:

I think this works really nice. Brass 8.3 0z, aluminum 2.6 oz. 

ham 2.jpg

@conditionone -  Any chance you would be willing to share design info?  I have access to machine shop to make some and potentially make available to others. 

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The brass frame weight by Toni Systems that fits the Canik SFX will also perfectly fit the M&P pistols for anyone who cares. Been running one for about a year and it adds considerable weight directly under the barrel where it is most useful.

16 minutes ago, ParaLarry said:

Like the Lok grips one?

https://benstoegerproshop.com/brass-weapon-mounted-light-by-lok-grips/

Do you have a link for the Toni?

What holster do you use?

The link is below for aluminum or brass frame weights, of course brass being the heaviest.

https://christiansencomponents.com/product/toni-system-canik-frame-weight/

The holster is from SJC, link below.

https://stores.sjcguns.com/kydex-moulded-holster-for-sjc-frame-weight/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/24/2023 at 10:38 AM, usmc1974 said:

I was just wondering do you guys really walk around with a 5 pound gun on your hip concealed everyday all day?

IMG_20231017_210935830.jpg

Nope. I think everyone here was inquiring about adding weight to their game guns. Not sure why you’re chiming in with a light carry gun in the Glock variety on an M&P specific discussion on adding weight. 

18 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

Carry optics!!! Hello. Any gun I carry, I also shoot in competition.  I don't have a special gun just for competition (carry optics) .You don't mind if I ask a ****"" question? Do you baba?

IMG_20231025_221928863~2.jpg

Ask all you’d like, guy… 
I’m just saying your contribution was nowhere near what the thread was about. 
A lot of people here (probably the majority) have different guns for games and carry. 
Is that cool with you? Or should we all follow your awesomeness? 

4 hours ago, Matt1911 said:

Ask all you’d like, guy… 
I’m just saying your contribution was nowhere near what the thread was about. 
A lot of people here (probably the majority) have different guns for games and carry. 
Is that cool with you? Or should we all follow your awesomeness? 

I did not make a contribution, I simply asked a question. You're the 1 that Made the useless contribution. But, that said, it all depends on what your life is worth to you.  Myself I use the weapon I carry every day, but that's just me.

Since I'm one of "you guys" your question is directed to me so I will answer it. I sometimes shoot carry optics division with my Glock 34. It does not weigh 5 lbs but it is optimized to be the most effective I can make it for the mission/task it will be used for. 

I carry a G19. It is also optimized for the mission/ task it may ,hopefully, never be needed for. Each has a different purpose but I give myself any advantage possible with my equipment. I earnestly train with both. Not knowing what internal modifications you may have made I see externally you have done some optimizing of your own equipment for a carry piece compared to stock. Good for you.

5 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Since I'm one of "you guys" your question is directed to me so I will answer it. I sometimes shoot carry optics division with my Glock 34. It does not weigh 5 lbs but it is optimized to be the most effective I can make it for the mission/task it will be used for. 

I carry a G19. It is also optimized for the mission/ task it may ,hopefully, never be needed for. Each has a different purpose but I give myself any advantage possible with my equipment. I earnestly train with both. Not knowing what internal modifications you may have made I see externally you have done some optimizing of your own equipment for a carry piece compared to stock. Good for you.

Very good reply This is all I was asking. You sound well trained. But, I'm 67 years old I had a pterygium removed from my right eye, I need all the help I can get. 😂Thx

Edited by usmc1974

Check out the full tungsten rods.

I am tweaking a glock 17 at the moment.

So far:

Previous tungsten guide rods:  were an allow and not full tungsten. Did not perform as advertised.

Full tungsten guide rod installed: A noticeable felt difference. Glock 17 with lightened slide was not NEARLY as snappy.

By nearly I mean there was a noticeable improvement.

I am now tweaking the recoil spring weights to see what works all together.

• 2 months later...

As a fun experiment, I tried to increase the weight of my M&P with tungsten infused epoxy around the grip. I did it in a few layers, but I got the weight up by about 8.8 oz in the end. I haven't had a chance to live fire it, but I'll report back when I do. Total weight is 45 oz with flashlight and mag. 

On 1/5/2024 at 2:47 PM, k2pichu said:

As a fun experiment, I tried to increase the weight of my M&P with tungsten infused epoxy around the grip. I did it in a few layers, but I got the weight up by about 8.8 oz in the end. I haven't had a chance to live fire it, but I'll report back when I do. Total weight is 45 oz with flashlight and mag. 

Post some pics!