Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P - adding weight for CO

recoilchamp

Now that the weight limit for CO is raised to 59 ounces, what mods are there to bring the M&P (24 oz) in line with the weights of something like the p320 x5 legion (43.5 oz)?

I see Carver's tungsten guide rod at 2.5 oz, and Taylor freelance brass base pads at 5 oz - anything else?

Also saw on Facebook someone talking about making a metal backstrap adding 7 oz - not sure that's legal?  

BAC165CD-30F0-48E9-8128-966EE3200904.jpeg

Apendex D7

Grips

Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a makeshift magwell.

Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are specifically allowed.

Grip tape or grip sleeves cannot disengage a grip safety.

Grips may not be modified to create a thumb rest or beavertail.

I think as long as the new grips keep the same profile they should be fine.  Would love to get in on a set of those.

On 3/16/2020 at 1:56 AM, recoilchamp said:

Now that the weight limit for CO is raised to 59 ounces, what mods are there to bring the M&P (24 oz) in line with the weights of something like the p320 x5 legion (43.5 oz)?

I see Carver's tungsten guide rod at 2.5 oz, and Taylor freelance brass base pads at 5 oz - anything else?

Also saw on Facebook someone talking about making a metal backstrap adding 7 oz - not sure that's legal?  

BAC165CD-30F0-48E9-8128-966EE3200904.jpeg

Killer opportunity for some enterprising soul

37 minutes ago, Tompac said:

Light not legal in CO. I looked in the rule book, which would have been a good idea prior to asking the question. 

It’s not a light if you take bulb or battery out. Do rules say no weight?

Now do you use these for production or would they be legal for production? For me the 5oz Taylor freelance mag extension would be better adding 6rds. Mostly bc I miss a bunch. But if you could use it in production that would be sweet.

I will use them in CO. I would say they are legal if I understand the rules correctly. If you can increase  weight with additional rounds and the gun fits the box,  that would be ideal.

I am in NY. One of a few 10 round max states, so additional rounds are not an option for me. 

8 hours ago, conditionone said:

I would say they are legal if I understand the rules correctly. If you can increase  weight with additional rounds and the gun fits the box,

You don't have to fit a CO pistol in the box.  As long as the magazine meets the 141mm max length requirement and the gun with an empty mag weights 59 oz or less everything should be good.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:51 PM, Tompac said:

Light not legal in CO. I looked in the rule book, which would have been a good idea prior to asking the question. 

Write your AD ask for it to be discussed at the next BOD meeting, make a case for how they allow these 50 oz guns in production and your gun is 26 or what ever. Lots of people use lights in the real world so why not allow them? It's a tiny change really. At this point why shouldn't they allow it?

Edited by Racinready300ex

On 3/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, recoilchamp said:

Did you find the brass basepads helped mitigate muzzle flip? 

Definitely.  With the additional 8.4 ozs it actually feels like you are holding on to something. Last fall I bought a Shadow 2 to shoot this year and had CZC cut the slide for CO and do everything they do for an S2. With these mag bases I will be shooting the M&P this year. 

BAC165CD-30F0-48E9-8128-966EE3200904.thumb.jpeg.fb2873430ed0a341037465a06006e51f.jpeg

USPSA should allowed Magwell in CO, then purchase the sjc brass magwell, thats going to add few more ounces..

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 9:00 AM, Benevolence said:

Would be cool if S&W did a steel frame M&P...or at least a tungsten infused. Would like to see a further undercut up in the beavertail as well as trigger guard as well.

Don't see them doing that anytime soon considering how long the 2.0 took for relatively minor changes. You can do a trigger guard undercut yourself and stay legal in USPSA CO and Prod currently. 

• 1 month later...

They were posted on the M&P facebook group a few months back and the maker (not recoilchamp) was talking about selling them in a few weeks. Haven't heard anything since then.

I was thinking about this, and it looks like you can get small tungsten plates and cubes used for pinewood derbies that might be more effective. Let us know how it goes and the weight before and after!