Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke My 550 Last Night...

Well I did not know if I should post in "what I hate" or "what I like". First, I broke the "crank" on the 550 last night, I hate that I broke it and I have Matt Burkets class this Sunday and not enough ammo for my wife and I. But of course Dillion fixed me all up and I will be getting parts tomorrow! You can't argue with that.

My question is, has anyone else done this? I don't have pics with me right now but I will try and post some when I get home. It broke right near the handle and in such a way as to seem like I might be seating the primers too hard? I don't seem to have any problems with my primers. I heard that failing to seat fully could cause issues with ignition, so I give it a pretty good push.

This makes the 1050 look so much better with seating on the down stroke but man I did not realize the price was $1500! I though $1000 might not be so bad. We will be getting another press for my wife when she goes to 40SW. I thought it would be a 650, thought comming in from the garage "1050", then saw the price... :( Might just get another 550... ;)

Oh well, thanks to Dillon, :) we will probably still not have to shoot factory rounds this weekend,

Ira

PS In case anyone was wondering, the machine is less than 1 year old... Probably has 5-10K rounds made with it?

Howdy,

I had a 550 a while back. Ended up replacing it when the 650 came out. In the last 3 mo. I had the 550 I broke 3 cranks. The last one in less than a week. I asked for an RMA for the second one I broke so I could send it in and see if they could figure out what was wrong. Before I got it sent back I broke the third one. I ended up emptying out the powder and making sure no primers were in it and, after calling Dillon, sent the whole thing back. I don't know what they ended up finding out, but I already had the 650, so I sold it to a Action Pistol shooter that was suffering with a Lee 1000.( He was shooting a couple thousand rounds a week and the Lee was killing him. As far as I know he is still using it. ) When the 550 got back it looked like they put my handle on a new machine. I think they replaced just about everything and repainted the frame, even cleaned the powder hopper.

Dillon is GREAT. They have even supplied parts for my ancient 1050 ( aquired 2nd hand ) under warranty.

Huston in Austin

Broke My Crank on my 550 about four months ago, Dillion Sent me a new one after calling FREE did not even want the old one or a picture or anything. I seat the bullets with the handle till it stops solid and the same with the primers, don't want any high primers. Crank broke after about 15,000-20,000 rounds.

Suffered with a "PRO" 1000 for a whille, Then Bought a Load Master and the SUFFFERING really Started. P.O.S. Then got wise bought a dillion 550 and been smiling ever since. :D

My question is, has anyone else done this?  I don't have pics with me right now but I will try and post some when I get home.  It broke right near the handle and in such a way as to seem like I might be seating the primers too hard?  I don't seem to have any problems with my primers.  I heard that failing to seat fully could cause issues with ignition, so I give it a pretty good push.

PS In case anyone was wondering, the machine is less than 1 year old...  Probably has 5-10K rounds made with it?

I broke mine the same way earlier this year. My 550 is about 8 years old and had about 20,000 rounds on it. As usual, Dillon was outstanding and promptly replaced it and also sent a few other parts to replace while I was at it. I'll never load on anything but a Dillon.

-Cuz

Yeah, but do they make major? :P

There is a wise guy in every group :wacko:

I have my Chrono, and paln to check it tomorrow evening before the Thursday night match :D

But, yes, I believe they DO make major:

5" STI

loaded to 1.20"

Montana Gold JHP 180's

Titegroup 4.8 grains

Yep, I bet it makes it, smart azz ;)

Don't get me wrong Dillons service was great.  My only stress was that we pretty much do "just in time" reloading...  I guess this will teach me...

Ira

That's why I like to keep 3000 ready to go at anytime! :D

Yeah, but do they make major? :P

Beat me to it!

A little to late for me to start in on him again...Damn! :D:P;)

I've never had a problem with mine. Its got close to 100,000 rnds on it.

My 550 is mounted on a sturdy work bench attached to the garage wall.

I screwed-in a 2x4 block of wood on the outside edge of the bench at the exact point that the crank handle stops on the down stroke before seating the primers.

This eliminates over torque on the crank handle while pushing down. Basically, a handle "stop".

Are these breaking on the up or down stroke?

Edited by D.carden

I screwed-in a 2x4 block of wood on the outside edge of the bench at the exact point that the crank handle stops on the down stroke after seating the primer snuggly.

This eliminates over torque on the crank handle. Basically, a handle "stop".

Oh! nice sugestion! I can do that. That is one of the reasons I posted here, I guess I should have asked if there was a remedy.

Thanks,

Ira

I broke mine about 2 years ago. My 550 had about 60,000 rounds on it. Got a new crank from Dillon, only had to pay for the postage ($36, Well I live in Europe!). I have also broken the primer bar activator (the bent piece of steel wire) 2 times, and am currently using a homemade replacement.

I screwed-in a 2x4 block of wood on the outside edge of the bench at the exact point that the crank handle stops on the down stroke after seating the primer snuggly.

This eliminates over torque on the crank handle. Basically, a handle "stop".

Hey D.carden,

Good tip! Perhaps you should repost this into the thread of the 550 Tip's and Tricks in the FAQs thread if you have not already done so. I broke the crank on my 550 after about 30000 rounds by me and 100,000 or more by the original owner who bought it in the 80's! Perhaps a poll is in order: I bet there is a correlation of broken cranks to people who have experienced a light primer strike at a major match! <_<

Don't get me wrong Dillons service was great.  My only stress was that we pretty much do "just in time" reloading...  I guess this will teach me...

Ira

If you're going to be one of those reloaders, you need a spare press, with tool heads all set-up and ready to go. I usually load on match mornings too.....

So someone asked me on Sunday "how did you break a 550"? Well, I break lots of things because, as my wife says, "you don't know your own strength"... ;)

Here are pictures in case anyone was wondering: http://ira.homelinux.net/~iweiny/Photos/Broken550/

Don't get me wrong, Dillon was great! I got the parts in overnight and spent all day on Saturday loading. I was able to get enough ammo for my wife and I to complete Matts class! I would like to thank Dillon for their excellent service and standing fully behind their product.

I found on Saturday if I paid attention to what I was doing I could feel the primer seat and then not over stress the arm. All the ammo I loaded on Saturday ran fine for our class. Time will tell if I will break it again or get a high primer but for now I think my reloading technique will be more finesse and less mussel. Thanks again to Dillon and the guys here on the forum.

Ira

• 4 weeks later...
Here are pictures in case anyone was wondering: http://ira.homelinux.net/~iweiny/Photos/Broken550/

Damn! The exact same thing happened to my 550. Almost an identical crack. Dillon mailed me a crank, but I just got stuck trying to figure out how the heck to get the 'arms' off and unscrew that 'two-headed bolt' that runs through the crank. (once you take one bolt off, it just turns when you try to take the second off)

*sigh* pieces everywhere, and I forgot Dillon Tech support is only available Saturday mornings.

Any idea how to get the upper pins out on the 'crank arms' (one is even hollow :blink: ), or how to get the second nut off the two-headed crank bolt? This is the only time I've considered cussing my 550... :angry:

Edited by RugerOldArmy

Any idea how to get the upper pins out on the 'crank arms' (one is even hollow :blink: ), or how to get the second nut off the two-headed crank bolt? This is the only time I've considered cussing my 550... :angry:

I managed to break the crank also. (Mongo make ammo :blink: ) Here is how to remove the pins. Refer to 550 Manual Ver 7.8 Page 3?

You need to remove 13881 and 13834. They are knurled at their outside ends which provides a friction fit. To remove, get a hunk of something stiff that fits through the inside of 13881 and is long enough to reach the other pin and still be a couple of inches out of 13881. Tap on the end with a light hammer. This will push 13834 out of the frame. Then get something that has a diameter larger than the hole in 13881 and tap it out from the 13834 side. I happened to have a couple of punches that did the trick but I imagine you can improvise with some wood or metal rod or the like.

Good luck,

Chuck

And as far as the bottom bolt. I only took one of the arms off. Slid the crank off and new on back on and replace the arm. It worked well. Dillon also sent me an alignment tool to get things alligned. Oh you do have to take the entire thing apart (The piston thing (sorry no manual here at work), to be able to drive the pins out). So you have to realign.

Good luck,

Ira

Fixed...thanks again.

I'll have to take a pic of the broken crank. Similar to the pic posted, but a bit worse. (cracked on both sides) Cleaned with the new crank and re-alligned, seems like new.

I'd prefer a sturdier crank casting though...

Edited by RugerOldArmy