Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 147 in XDM

nhglyn

Starting to load for my 5.25 9mm XDM that I will shoot in Carry Optics.  Would like to use Montana Gold 9mm 147 gr. bullets.  Has anyone used these?  Any feeding issues?  They have flat nose rather than round and I just wanted to know if anyone has had any feeding issues due to the shape.  Any Titegroup loads you want to share?

My XDm 4.5 and 5.25 and 4.5 OSP noticeably more accurate with .356 147 FP from SNS or Gallant plus cheaper than MG. 
1.135 OAL. I’m running CFE powder 4.0 grains for 930fps out of the 5.25. 
TG was too smokey and accuracy wasn’t as tight compared to CFE for me. 
NV 320 was nice compromise but price deal I got on CFE was hard to beat. Plus it cleans up much easier. 

When I was shooting my XDM 5.25 in comps it ate everything I ever fed it, not picky at all so Im sure the MG 147gr FP bullets will feed just fine.  When I shot 147gr ammo it was coated lead and with titegroup I think 3.1 was the sweet spot for accuracy and velocity out of my gun.  

If you didn't know, Hodgdon has a great online resource for their load data, they are showing a 147gr XTP load starting at 3.2gr and maxing out at 3.6gr of titegroup at a 1.1 OAL.  The 5.25" barrel helps getting the velocity up, I would think 3.3-3.4 range should put you in a good place.  As always, start low and work up with a chrono.  Good luck.

19 hours ago, nhglyn said:

Starting to load for my 5.25 9mm XDM that I will shoot in Carry Optics.  Would like to use Montana Gold 9mm 147 gr. bullets.  Has anyone used these?  Any feeding issues?  They have flat nose rather than round and I just wanted to know if anyone has had any feeding issues due to the shape.  Any Titegroup loads you want to share?

If you use TG make sure to use the MG CMJ 

Your XDM should eat Montana Gold bullets like a kid eats a candy bar.   Over the past I've played with different bullets and powders and the 5.25 XDM shoots everything....some a little better than others.  I settled on Sports Pistol...3.1 grains and 147 grain Bayou RN.  This combination has proven to be not only the most accurate but also the least expensive and cleanest.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 6:01 AM, mont1120 said:

For my OSP 4.5 the MG 147 is all I use now. 3.1 of Titegroup gives me a PF of 129. While not my favorite powder, it has passed 3 chrono checks at major matches. I prefer WSF with 3.4 grains

what is your OAL with the 147 grain MG?

Those bullets are beautiful looking. The workmanship appears to be top notch. However, when I weighed two different type bullets they sell,  the weight variations were 2.8 to 3.2 grains from the average bullet weight in a batch of 30. That's unacceptable for a swaged metal jacketed bullet, and for the price they sell those for.

1 hour ago, Glockster1 said:

Those bullets are beautiful looking. The workmanship appears to be top notch. However, when I weighed two different type bullets they sell,  the weight variations were 2.8 to 3.2 grains from the average bullet weight in a batch of 30. That's unacceptable for a swaged metal jacketed bullet, and for the price they sell those for.

Hmmm... I have never found more than 1.0 grain variation in all the MG bullets I've loaded. Most were within .3 or so

• 2 weeks later...