Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

resizing deformed 223 rounds?

redwoods

I recently received some 223 rounds that were deformed as a result of being dropped nose down in a packaging machine.

A friend built a rifle round packaging machine that takes loose rifle rounds, 223/556, and drops them into packaging trays so they can be sold in boxes on shelves.

While testing and demoing the machine, the rounds were dropped so many times that they started to form a bulge where the case starts to neck down.

What would be the best way for me to try and resize these so I can use them for practice/hoser rounds out of my AR15?

IMG_0355.jpg

Sounds good, I think I just need to check the neck tension and probably crimp it.

These are fully loaded rounds and I have lots of empty brass if I wanted to make 300 bulk out cases.

Would I have to worry about having the powder compressed since these now look squished shorter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Don't do this!  but

Once in awhile I get cases that look like that when I seating a bullet in the case and the case is longer then spec.

I fix it by putting the round in the camber and dropping the bolt on it.   Its shapes the brass back to near original.  

However!!!   ITs Hard to Hard as Hell to remove the cartridge from the chamber.   It will be easier to remove stuck case

if your charging handle is ambidextrous.   I'm not saying to do this,   test it with a round that is not to bad (the one in the second photo).

No way would I do this with the round that is in the first photo.  

Edited by bodybag0

I have lubed them and then put them into a sizer without the decapping pin. I then crimp it. It has worked on some. I thumb test to see if the bullet can be pushed into the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

OK, but at least make sure to check headspace after you straightened them out and befor you fire them. That can get severly messed up and push you into the danger zone.

Even if you have 4000, there is no need to compromise safety.

If dropping them on the bullet nose did that to the case neck tension/crimping must be impressive.  No bullet tip damage?

The only time I've seen that happen is when case length is inconstant and the seating die is set up so close to the case mouth that the crimp force pushed the case mouth back/down enough to bulge the shoulder.  I normally don't crimp rifle rounds but with a single stage press I've used a short case to set up the seating die and then later hit a longer case and the crimp forced the shoulder to bulge like that.

Will something bulged that bad even go into a resizing die?

4,000?  Darn, that would bug me, too.

I have damaged cases that look like that when I size without an expander button, and then used a 22 neck turning mandrel in a die to expand the case.  The expansion die was adjusted down too far, and it pushed the neck back down into the case, thereby bulging the shoulder of the case.  

A sizing die CANNOT do that, and I can't imagine how you could drop rounds hard enough to do that either.  Perhaps a mis-adjusted crimping die could do that...  

In any case, I'd just try to pull and salvage the bullets, and possibly the powder.  I wouldn't trust primers after they were removed from being previously loaded, and the cases like the one in the first picture have been SEVERELY damaged.  The cases are certainly not worth the trouble and risk.  

After all, free is only good if it doesn't cost you in some other way!  

Edited by Ken6PPC
misspeillin...