PT Honcho Open Gun

Practicalomaha

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked up my Honcho today.  I got it with the 40 sight block barrel and the 9mm 3 port comp.  Unfortunately, I will need to send it back to PT soon....

I initially placed my order, and a couple days later contacted Tiffany and updated my order to have the frame tapped, Sanders cuts and an SRO optic mount.  When i picked it up today I didnt initially notice, but soon realized that the frame was not drilled and tapped for the mounts.  I emailed Tiffany, and will give it a day or two before calling to get an RMA for shipping it back.  I am HOPING I can get it to them and back within 2-3 weeks, though I know they will have to recoat it more than likely.  I've been looking forward to shooting this thing for so long now....

I am otherwise thrilled about the pistol thus far.  The fit and finish is great, the machining is top notch and I have no doubt it will shoot like a dream.  

8 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

I picked up my Honcho today.  I got it with the 40 sight block barrel and the 9mm 3 port comp.  Unfortunately, I will need to send it back to PT soon....

I initially placed my order, and a couple days later contacted Tiffany and updated my order to have the frame tapped, Sanders cuts and an SRO optic mount.  When i picked it up today I didnt initially notice, but soon realized that the frame was not drilled and tapped for the mounts.  I emailed Tiffany, and will give it a day or two before calling to get an RMA for shipping it back.  I am HOPING I can get it to them and back within 2-3 weeks, though I know they will have to recoat it more than likely.  I've been looking forward to shooting this thing for so long now....

I am otherwise thrilled about the pistol thus far.  The fit and finish is great, the machining is top notch and I have no doubt it will shoot like a dream.  

When did you place your order?  

14 minutes ago, inertia said:

16 weeks bummer, I was hoping to have my Black Friday order in time for bigger matches later this month. No big deal my fault for cutting so close.

Well, i know it's premature, but now im hoping to at least have mine BACK by next month for some good matches upcoming.  

At Nov. 8 they were quoting 10 weeks on Thanksgiving they quoted 12-14 which is still what they have listed today. There was some issue with coating vendor but that was 2 months ago I guess I was hoping they could catch up at some point. 16 weeks is still quick for these types of guns compared to other builders so I will be patient but my understanding is they dont do as much fitting as a custom gun which is how they save time and keep cost a little lower.

9 hours ago, inertia said:

16 weeks is still quick for these types of guns compared to other builders so I will be patient but my understanding is they dont do as much fitting as a custom gun which is how they save time and keep cost a little lower.

That's not exactly correct. 

The fit and finish on the Honchos is better than any custom gun I've had built.  The engineering that went into the platform, PT's machining ability, and some design for manufacture principles result in being able to produce very high end, super well fit pistols, without the NEED for as much time consuming manual "fitting". 

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

That's not exactly correct. 

The fit and finish on the Honchos is better than any custom gun I've had built.  The engineering that went into the platform, PT's machining ability, and some design for manufacture principles result in being able to produce very high end, super well fit pistols, without the NEED for as much time consuming manual "fitting". 

That is totally fair, this is how it was explained to me, better machining = less fitting required. Very excited to see this beast in person!

I’ve been thinking about one of these but I’m hesitant.  It doesn’t seem like they have  all the production issues worked out yet.  The team shooters say they’re awesome but it seems like almost everyone else is experiencing problems. 

2 minutes ago, Raymundo said:

I’ve been thinking about one of these but I’m hesitant.  It doesn’t seem like they have  all the production issues worked out yet.  The team shooters say they’re awesome but it seems like almost everyone else is experiencing problems. 

???? Do you know who almost everybody is? How many are in circulation with or without problems?  The people I know, not on the team, who have them give high praise. I will be happy to give an unbiased, straight evaluation to average in when I receive and use mine. You could be right or wrong but please let me know the foundation of your comment.

32 minutes ago, Raymundo said:

There has been maybe a few guys with issues and if you re read the thread you’ll see that most of it wasn’t what it appeared to be. You had one guy saying he knew a guy with all these issues and the real guy finally comes on and clears the air on what really happened. You have the owners commenting on threads and Facebook posts eager to help people with any issues should they pop up. Talk about high quality customer service.

I own a Honcho since November and I am not sponsored by them or a team shooter and I love the gun. I’ve had no issues what so ever with it. I’m coming from shooting a CZ Shadow 2 from Cajun and a CZ TSO. The Honcho is superior in every way from fit/finish to accuracy and styling.

I improperly loaded 9.3 grains of Titegroup into a 9mm Major round by accident bc I got my powder drops mixed up and had a round explode when I fired. It destroyed the back of the case and deformed the round in the magazine behind it. The round barely putted out of the gun and the case was somewhat stuck. I took a brass rod in the barrel with a few light taps and it came out. My hands where covered in black lines from the powder in every area there gas could escape. This would have destroyed some guns or caused accuracy or other issues. This gun is a tank and ate it. I’ve been using it in every match with the same barrel and I’ve been shooting better than I ever have. There is nothing wrong with it at all. That is a testament of how great the quality is for this gun.

People tend to come online to bitch about things more so than they do to praise a product so you can’t really take a few posts as the normal standard. I would say there are more people even in this thread with a positive experience with the gun rather than the maybe 2 people that HAD an unclear “bad issue” with the gun. Looks like any rare issues have been remedied. Let me know if you have any questions about the gun, I am happy to help out as an unbiased 3rd party.

33D86A9D-FD56-4A53-ABF4-38E817852EE8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Raymundo said:

I received my gun mid/late Jan and now have over 2000 rounds through it and it has run like a champ.  Me and a buddy both received the Honcho with the new silver PVD coating (I think we may have been the first with the new coating) and for me that was the issues that affected the disconnector,  PT promptly overnighted us a new one that was fluted and it solved the problem we initially had.  It appears the new coating has been the culprit of any issues of our guns, my slide racker screws keep coming loose and Brian did some testing at his shop and discovered the issue (coating) and my slide is being sent back to fix up, turnaround will be quick.  For me, these have been really minor issues and all attributed to the coating and not the gun itself.   My gun has been flawless in it’s  mechanical function, have competed in a 12 stage major and 4 local USPSA matches and haven’t had one issue or slightest malfunction with the gun.  I’m extremely happy with my Honcho and Brian has been great to work with.  

Is anyone running STI Gen 2 mags in 40 with good success in their Honcho?  I have 2 MBX mags now, but if the STI mags will work well, feed reliably and function 100% then it saves me a few hundred dollars in new mags.  I did have to pick up a couple in 9/38 to shoot Open, but I have not done so as of yet.  

13 hours ago, hurley326 said:

There has been maybe a few guys with issues and if you re read the thread you’ll see that most of it wasn’t what it appeared to be. You had one guy saying he knew a guy with all these issues and the real guy finally comes on and clears the air on what really happened. You have the owners commenting on threads and Facebook posts eager to help people with any issues should they pop up. Talk about high quality customer service.

I own a Honcho since November and I am not sponsored by them or a team shooter and I love the gun. I’ve had no issues what so ever with it. I’m coming from shooting a CZ Shadow 2 from Cajun and a CZ TSO. The Honcho is superior in every way from fit/finish to accuracy and styling.

I improperly loaded 9.3 grains of Titegroup into a 9mm Major round by accident bc I got my powder drops mixed up and had a round explode when I fired. It destroyed the back of the case and deformed the round in the magazine behind it. The round barely putted out of the gun and the case was somewhat stuck. I took a brass rod in the barrel with a few light taps and it came out. My hands where covered in black lines from the powder in every area there gas could escape. This would have destroyed some guns or caused accuracy or other issues. This gun is a tank and ate it. I’ve been using it in every match with the same barrel and I’ve been shooting better than I ever have. There is nothing wrong with it at all. That is a testament of how great the quality is for this gun.

People tend to come online to bitch about things more so than they do to praise a product so you can’t really take a few posts as the normal standard. I would say there are more people even in this thread with a positive experience with the gun rather than the maybe 2 people that HAD an unclear “bad issue” with the gun. Looks like any rare issues have been remedied. Let me know if you have any questions about the gun, I am happy to help out as an unbiased 3rd party.

Wow, I'm glad you're ok.  That's good to hear.

12 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

Is anyone running STI Gen 2 mags in 40 with good success in their Honcho?  I have 2 MBX mags now, but if the STI mags will work well, feed reliably and function 100% then it saves me a few hundred dollars in new mags.  I did have to pick up a couple in 9/38 to shoot Open, but I have not done so as of yet.  

My .40 Honcho is so non-picky with mags it's ridiculous.  Old STI mags, new STI mags, MBXs, it doesn't seem to care what mags I put in it. 

Heck, it will run on 9mm/38SC mags. 

That being said, I'd just buy 3 more MBXs and be done. 

14 hours ago, vgdvc said:

???? Do you know who almost everybody is? How many are in circulation with or without problems?  The people I know, not on the team, who have them give high praise. I will be happy to give an unbiased, straight evaluation to average in when I receive and use mine. You could be right or wrong but please let me know the foundation of your comment.

No, I have not been able to scientifically canvas all of PT's Honcho customers.  I'm just a guy looking to buy a gun so I searched their Facebook page, YouTube,  Google, and now Enos Forums looking for non-sponsored reviews, and there are not many.  Of those, there are what I would describe (again unscientifically) as a relatively high number of people who have had issues of one form or another.   I don't know what percentage of customers this number represents, but it's enough to make me pause.  If there are people who have received their pistols on time and they ran without issues, I'd certainly like to hear about that. 

MBX, no modifying at all just take them out of package and use them. Done deal. This is consistent to practically ever Honcho owner you will talk to. I am sure others may work also but if your starting from  scratch just go MBX was overwhelming advice I received and I am very happy I listened.

19 hours ago, hurley326 said:

Not true.  Please reread.

Two guys here had issues.  Two of them were disconnector issues.  One had finish issues.  

After PT blamed the one with finish issues on the extractor and subsequently his ammo, they then got the gun back in and realized they were finish issues.

The other one had an issue with his sear spring that PT subsequently fixed.  

Either way, neither of the ones delivered in the DFW area worked from the factory.

The only misunderstood aspect was that I thought PT had blamed both owners for ammo and extractor issues instead of just the one.

It appears they eventually fixed the issues, but yeah, it was screwed up to try to blame anything on the owner to begin with before receiving the guns back.

Now, PT is going above and beyond for both owners. 

Great. 

Would that have happened if a big deal wasn’t made out of it online and they weren’t now in the public shooting community’s eye?

Who knows.

But I can quote several posts from PT employees and sponsored shooters in this thread that can be proven to not be true.

Instead of doing that, I’d rather they just continue to offer good customer service to everyone and actually test fire a full magazine out of their guns before shipping them out, as they have been claimed to do.

This goes for the whole shooting community. I have seen far too many companies blame end users for stuff that isn’t their fault.  They then get sponsored shooters or other patsies to back up their positions.

If I see this happening, I will call you on it and I will ensure as many people as possible know about the way you are choosing to do business.

Edited by Whoops!

14 minutes ago, Whoops! said:

Not true.  Please reread.

Two guys here had issues.  Two of them were disconnector issues.  One had finish issues.  

After PT blamed the one with finish issues on the extractor and subsequently his ammo, they then got the gun back in and realized they were finish issues.

The other one had an issue with his sear spring that PT subsequently fixed.  

Either way, neither of the ones delivered in the DFW area worked from the factory.

The only misunderstood aspect was that I thought PT had blamed both owners for ammo and extractor issues instead of just the one.

It appears they eventually fixed the issues, but yeah, it was screwed up to try to blame anything on the owner to begin with before receiving the guns back.

Once again, you should really get the whole story. Ammo that won’t fit a case gauge will not run reliably in most any gun. If advising a customer of the issue is “blaming” them. Then I guess we did. If advising a customer that the thumb safety has been partially engaged while the slide is cycling to the extent it wears the coating off is blaming them in your mind, again, not much we can do about that. Helping a costumer properly reassemble their gun so that all of the parts are installed properly is something we will always do, regardless of who wants to blame who.

Are we perfect? Absolutely not. But we stand behind every product we make and will do whatever we need to to make sure our customers are taken care of. 

I don’t know you personally or what I’ve done to offend you. If you’d ever like to give us a call and chat, I’m sure it won’t take long to figure out that we are normal, working people, probably just like you. 

11 minutes ago, MVPFc said:

Once again, you should really get the whole story. Ammo that won’t fit a case gauge will not run reliably in most any gun. If advising a customer of the issue is “blaming” them. Then I guess we did. If advising a customer that the thumb safety has been partially engaged while the slide is cycling to the extent it wears the coating off is blaming them in your mind, again, not much we can do about that. Helping a costumer properly reassemble their gun so that all of the parts are installed properly is something we will always do, regardless of who wants to blame who.

Are we perfect? Absolutely not. But we stand behind every product we make and will do whatever we need to to make sure our customers are taken care of. 

I don’t know you personally or what I’ve done to offend you. If you’d ever like to give us a call and chat, I’m sure it won’t take long to figure out that we are normal, working people, probably just like you. 

So, do you want everyone who shoots your 9 major guns to use spec 9mm ammo that fits a case gauge?

Why didn’t the owner’s other 2011’s have finish issues?  He was using your safety different from his other 2011’s safety?

The rhetoric that comes out of your company offends me just as much as if it were any company producing the false rhetoric.

I don’t care about you as an individual.  I care about the impact your company has on the firearm’s and competition industry.  I pray it continues to be a positive one.  Too many companies are taking their industry and loyal followers for granted.

Here’s another thing.  I’ve known you guys and your company since it was first starting and had a booth at the 2011 Florida Open.  I haven’t had any issues with it and thought it was cool you were producing cheaper, quality 2011 parts.  So, the question is, why am I calling some things out now?  Maybe because they are unfair to people paying your company thousands and thousands of dollars? 

How terrible of me.

Edited by Whoops!