Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero distance

JJB05

On 1/24/2020 at 10:58 PM, Corrado_kid said:

12yds - listen to yong Lee’s podcast in firearms nations episode 94 https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-nation-podcast/id1218976087?i=1000426267081

Listened to the podcast.. thanks.. getting as open pistol ready. I am definitely gonna try the 12 yard zero and see how I like it. Curious to see the group size from 0 to 25 yards with same aiming point. 

99% of targets at a match will be between 8-15 yards.  Pick a number in that range and stick with it.   I'd rather just hold a little low on longer shots now and again than have to be super conscious about it all the time.  Know where you hit at different distances and have that data ready to go.  Eventually it will become second nature.  

17 minutes ago, JsK said:

Sorry but I disagree with 12 yrd , seen short(10-15yrd) zeros fail over and over with PCC. It's always gonna be easier to remember 1 offset (high up close) than high up close and low at distance. Obviously the bore offset is less with an open gun but it's still enough to miss the eye box and maybe end up with mikes at 25yrd on head shots.

We are not talking PCC.    I rarely see a noshoot on a target past 15yrds. targets that are up close and have a noshoot are typically shot while running past or not really focusing.  I rather be dead on close, as you are going to have longer splits and more focus on the long shots regardless.  

We are not talking PCC.    I rarely see a noshoot on a target past 15yrds. targets that are up close and have a noshoot are typically shot while running past or not really focusing.  I rather be dead on close, as you are going to have longer splits and more focus on the long shots regardless.  

Exactly. PCC is not relevant in this thread. Or anywhere else for that matter [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, csailer said:

99% of targets at a match will be between 8-15 yards.  Pick a number in that range and stick with it.   I'd rather just hold a little low on longer shots now and again than have to be super conscious about it all the time.  Know where you hit at different distances and have that data ready to go.  Eventually it will become second nature.  

I’d prob take this kids advice, seems to be working pretty well for him 😅

20 minutes ago, echotango said:

Less bore offset = less issue but it's still the same concept. With a 12yrd zero it's going to shoot low at 7yrd  and high at 25yrd how much is going to directly depend on your bore offset and that number has a lot more variation in open than pcc and is probably the reason short yardage zeros are not as much of a problem for some gun/optic combos. And yes on longer shots where your splits are slower I would personally rather have the dot exactly where the poi is going to be.

Edited by JsK

I listened to the podcast that was suggested.

Sounded logical. Switched all my optics guns to 12 yards. Gonna give it a shot and see how it works.

I was at 10 yards before so not a huge difference.

I too like that at closer distances there isn’t much difference. I did notice a little more difference in the open gun cause the optic sits higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk