Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revo Holster

FENWICK7

Plan to shoot the Big Dawg in Ankeny this summer. I figure  if i get

a speed rig for my S&W 929 I might be able to shave enough off

my overall time to keep me out of last place. Any thoughts on a 

decent speed rig for the 929 would be greatly appreciated. thanks

The Race master / Alpha x are good options, you can also set up a CR speed to fit, and I think a Guga Ribas will as well, not sure what else is actually available off the shelf in the way of race holsters for N frames. 

that said I run a Limcat and my wife has a Speedsec 5, got both in a package deal and if I could find another Speedsec 5 I would jump on it but I don't think they are available any more.

small world I shoot at USPSA at Ankeny that holster looks like the one Mike C  . uses and if its what he has it must be good I to am hoping to shoot revolver class there this year also I need all the stuff to get started to

Ron 

Upgraded to AlphaX from the Race Master.  The RM doesn’t travel well.  I squeaked the entire 2018 IRC.  Thought my Soundgear earbuds were f***ed until Swordfish mentioned my holster was squeaking -with MWP on Monday.

the block requires a decent amount of grinding.

I've used Double Alpha Alpha X and Speed-beez (comp-tac).  If you modify the Alpha X, it works pretty good, but I do not like it for my 929.  Works Fantastic for my TRR8s and 625.  If you can find someone with an Alpha-X, see if you can try it.   You'll know pretty quickly if you like the style or not. 

How could that be any faster?  On the Ghost, the gun is clear of the holster in about 1/2 inch.  That looks like it would a good 2 inches.  I don't think that I could be any faster(or slower in my case) with either of them.
The gun has to come up to eye level anyway, and there needs to be a bit of an arc in the path of the gun so you have an opportunity to get your weak hand on it. You don't even notice the extra inch of lift.

The kydex allows you to grab the gun much more aggressively than you can out of a race holster. I found that my revolver would bind occasionally if I didn't keep the grip straight coming out of the Race Master. The trigger guard in a Smith & Wesson is much narrower than those on an STI.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The solution to "hitchy & bindy" race holsters are to clean them often and use a bit of dry silicone aftewards.

I do hold on to my gun if I'm running back to the line after patching for instance. Probably would even with a kydex.

15 hours ago, PatJones said:

You can have all the race holsters you want. Something like this is faster.00798b23a1d4c080ea6c5bce096bee4e.jpg

I like it, why you're even covered in case the 8 shot suddenly bulks up to .45 or the .45 wants to bellow fire with a magnum!🤣 Seriously does the front moon clip holder also work with you're 8 rd moon clips, either short colt or specials?

Do like the holster, though the CR Speed mount is a real pain for me to get on or off.  I'd like the DAA mount better, hmmm maybe?

I would like the kydex but it scratches the hell out of my TRR (not the holster's fault I know).  And while this can happen to any holster, at the 2018 Utah State match, I was using a speed-beez / comp-tac holster and I backed into a wall on a walk through.  gun popped out of the holster and landed on the ground (unloaded)   I know it happens, but it was embarrassing, especially since the RO didnt know how to check a revolver to make sure it was clear. (don't laugh, she's a sweetheart, but shoots pcc)  The other nice thing about the alpha X is that, while I may not like it for all my guns, it does work,  625 4", 627 5", TRR8, 929, M29, etc.

I haven't been shooting revolver long, and I haven't had the opportunity to try some of the more traditional holsters, but I've been pretty happy with it.

7 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I like it, why you're even covered in case the 8 shot suddenly bulks up to .45 or the .45 wants to bellow fire with a magnum!🤣 Seriously does the front moon clip holder also work with you're 8 rd moon clips, either short colt or specials?

Do like the holster, though the CR Speed mount is a real pain for me to get on or off.  I'd like the DAA mount better, hmmm maybe?

I also have the moon clip server and it works with 6 & 8 moon clips and with all ammo from .357 to Short Colts. 

How hard is to load the server when you have a USPSA course that states all mags/moon clips must come from the table at the start.  Do the moon clips have to overlay each other in some special order?  I use my revolver mostly for USPSA and we see this from time to time.  The idea of reaching for the moon clips at the same location sounds promising.

26 minutes ago, BadShot said:

How hard is to load the server when you have a USPSA course that states all mags/moon clips must come from the table at the start.  Do the moon clips have to overlay each other in some special order?  I use my revolver mostly for USPSA and we see this from time to time.  The idea of reaching for the moon clips at the same location sounds promising.

from my research, unloaded starts are the Achilles heel of the “server.” Personally, I went with the Speed-e-rack and have been very happy.  

I load weak hand so on the left side of the sever I have two North Mountain Moon Clip holders for that reason. To load the James Austin Moon Clip Server off a table would take to long. Some people put plastic dividers between the moon clips I just put the lip of each moon clip on top of the one next to it. 
In other words I put the first moon clip in then I set the next one in with the lip on top of the first one till I have all 6 clips in. 

You can also do as some people do and make a spacer to hold the post out and as you put the moon clips on it slides down. Saves you from having to hold the post out with one hand and loading the moon clips with the other. If you practice enough and have the spacers you can load 4 moon clips at one time. See if you can do that with a Speed-e-rack

I use all DAA stuff- belt/posts/holster/moons.

for table starts I have 2 stacks of moons - the left hand stack of 4, right hand stack of 3 

i grab both stacks and put them on posts, when my right hand is empty it goes for the gun, opens the cylinder (with my index finger) while the remaining moon goes gets loaded and bang bang.

its faster than a bottom feeder

You can also do as some people do and make a spacer to hold the post out and as you put the moon clips on it slides down. Saves you from having to hold the post out with one hand and loading the moon clips with the other. If you practice enough and have the spacers you can load 4 moon clips at one time. See if you can do that with a Speed-e-rack
I have spacers on mine. It is a big help on table starts.

The moonclip server is far from ideal on an empty table start. That said it's the only piece of shooting related gear I've ever bought that I can point to that made a measurable difference to my stage times. I used to have a standard moon rack on my belt. After the 3rd reload or so I would need to look down to find a moonclip when reloading, this added several tenths to the last few reloads. It adds up on a stage.

The downside of a moonclip server is the need for a secondary moonclip system. I load with my strong hand so I put a couple North Mountain posts behind my holster. I replaced the aluminum posts with some that are longer and come to more of a point so they load stacked clips easier.

The moonclip server has more upside than downside. It's faster at the end of a stage, and it accepts all types of moonclips. Having an auxiliary moonclip system behind the hip has the added benefit of being accessible while prone. I put this belt together on a whim when the price dropped on the moonclip server. It has exceeded my expectations.7319f86dd1b7eabb63bac4da6aea2be1.jpg

14 hours ago, PatJones said:

The gun has to come up to eye level anyway, and there needs to be a bit of an arc in the path of the gun so you have an opportunity to get your weak hand on it. You don't even notice the extra inch of lift.

The kydex allows you to grab the gun much more aggressively than you can out of a race holster. I found that my revolver would bind occasionally if I didn't keep the grip straight coming out of the Race Master. The trigger guard in a Smith & Wesson is much narrower than those on an STI.

I’m not sure I can agree that a kydex  holster like the one pictured is faster than a proper race holster. I have yet to see that be proven. 

But, draw time essentially doesn’t matter in a field course. And that is especially the case in revolver division. 

Get a holster meets your needs. Don’t worry about the fastest. Or do, if that’s your thing. But it’s not going to make a difference. 

I think the original poster was talking about the Big Dawg steel match.  There are about 4 of us on this forum shooting it for the first time since it has moved to our range.  From what I understand, it's 15 courses with the plate racks being shot 4 times at each course.  That's 60 draws for the match.  I'm thinking the holster might make a difference in this case.  It's different from anything that I have shot before.