Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum grip modules from Icarus Precision

Rudukai13

Looks like they’re just about ready to be released. The initial version is modeled after the X-Carry (Compact length dustcover, Fullsize/17-round grip length), though they have stated they’ll be working on other versions as well. Compatible with the X-Five magwell;

https://www.icarusprecision.com

I’ll be getting one as soon as they’re available and will do a full review in my Project Nemesis thread

15 minutes ago, Sc0 said:

Been following them on Facebook, waiting for a regular P320 carry grip frame...

Considering they already have the one model with a short dustcover and fullsize grip length I wouldn’t hold your breath on that...

20 minutes ago, Heliarclee said:

Will these be carry optics legal?  

As long as your weight doesn't go over 45oz I don't see why not....although, it's not a true OE frame/grip module so there's that.

Edited by mellino19

21 minutes ago, Heliarclee said:

Will these be carry optics legal?  

That will entirely depend on the interpretation of what constitutes a “grip panel”. But considering some of the other aftermarket parts that have recently been ruled legal for Production/CO (like the GoGuns “Not-a-thumbrest” takedown lever), I’d lean towards yes

4 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

I’ve requested that info from them, will post it when I receive a response

Since they're aluminum and a Carry config, they must be lighter than the TXG grip.

I know I've mentioned it countless times but it'd be cool if they'd do a carbon steel one for an Open gun haha

5 minutes ago, thormx538 said:

Since they're aluminum and a Carry config, they must be lighter than the TXG grip.

I know I've mentioned it countless times but it'd be cool if they'd do a carbon steel one for an Open gun haha

Yeah my guess is it’ll be somewhat heavier than a polymer X-Carry module but not as heavy as a TXG grip module. I’d certainly prefer a grip module made of steel for the additional weight, but for my purposes the aluminum version will work well enough. I’m less interested in the added weight from the grip module and more interested in it being a much more solid mounting point for a frame-mounted optic. The Surefire X300U that I hang off the pic rail will make up for the lack of weight in the aluminum itself

1 hour ago, thormx538 said:

I wonder what they weigh

.580 lbs, so 9 oz.  the TXG module weighs 16.6 with the grip weight and magwell.  I wish they would have changed the shape on the sides of the beavertail, it’s just too wide on the x grips.  

Edited by Heliarclee
Misspelled

55 minutes ago, Heliarclee said:

.580 lbs, so 9 oz.  the TXG module weighs 16.6 with the grip weight and magwell.  I wish they would have changed the shape on the sides of the beavertail, it’s just too wide on the x grips.  

Where did you find the info on the weight of the grip module?

I tried my best to make suggestions to them regarding profile and features, but it seemed they were fairly set in what they wanted to do. That said while it won’t be as easy and grinding down a polymer grip module, it still should be fairly straight-forward for a buyer to reprofile the aluminum grip to their particular shape and needs

8 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Interesting idea and looks like it would be a nice addition to the pistol for an open conversion. Maybe one with no rail setup and flat sides to bolt up a frame mounted optic. Thanks, Eric

and the ability to mount 2011 magwells. 

6 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Where did you find the info on the weight of the grip module?

I tried my best to make suggestions to them regarding profile and features, but it seemed they were fairly set in what they wanted to do. That said while it won’t be as easy and grinding down a polymer grip module, it still should be fairly straight-forward for a buyer to reprofile the aluminum grip to their particular shape and needs

I commented on their Instagram post and he sent me a picture with it on a scale.  

18 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Interesting idea and looks like it would be a nice addition to the pistol for an open conversion. Maybe one with no rail setup and flat sides to bolt up a frame mounted optic. Thanks, Eric

Assuming the dustcover is the same dimensions on the aluminum grip module as the OEM polymer grip modules (very likely), there will already be enough space and perfectly proportioned for installing a frame-mounted optic to it (pictured is the Atlas gunworks RMR/SRO mount, unmodified from how it ships);

A2C2EE0C-4D8E-4FA8-A7C6-22D03B09269A.jpeg

89C86724-E422-45F3-A235-41DA2C341479.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Manwithnoname said:

and the ability to mount 2011 magwells. 

It’ll be compatible with any X-Five magwell, including the recently introduced Springer X-Five Open (larger than OEM) and ESP (smaller than OEM) magwells;

https://shop.springerprecision.com/Springer-Precision-Open-LTD-Magwell-for-P320-X-Five-and-Legion-SP0203.htm

https://shop.springerprecision.com/Springer-Precision-ESP-Duty-Magwell-for-P320-X-Five-and-Legion-SP0252.htm

Not sure you get much additional benefit by changing it to accept 2011 magwells, the Springer Open magwell is already a pretty large funnel;

2DE323AE-4D05-4479-A710-411FCAFA7070.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Heliarclee said:

I commented on their Instagram post and he sent me a picture with it on a scale.  

Cool. Not surprising that the alloy with short dustcover is lighter than the tungsten grip with full-length rail, but I bet it’s still a noticeable difference from the polymer X-Carry module. I believe the aluminum grip is also compatible with the grip weight, which means you can also add more weight to it

7 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Cool. Not surprising that the alloy with short dustcover is lighter than the tungsten grip with full-length rail, but I bet it’s still a noticeable difference from the polymer X-Carry module. I believe the aluminum grip is also compatible with the grip weight, which means you can also add more weight to it

I’m sure its significantly heavier than the plastic module, they weigh practically nothing.   The price is probably also going to be a no go for me with them not changing any of the ergonomics, I’m going to guess these are going to be $400 or so.  

23 minutes ago, Heliarclee said:

I’m sure its significantly heavier than the plastic module, they weigh practically nothing.   The price is probably also going to be a no go for me with them not changing any of the ergonomics, I’m going to guess these are going to be $400 or so.  

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/ace-320-grip

$370. It’s up to the individual buyer to determine if that amount is reasonable to them

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, Rudukai13 said:

That will entirely depend on the interpretation of what constitutes a “grip panel”. But considering some of the other aftermarket parts that have recently been ruled legal for Production/CO (like the GoGuns “Not-a-thumbrest” takedown lever), I’d lean towards yes

Or maybe not. Last I heard you can not put the Sig tungsten grip on a base X5 and be legal for USPSA Production.

The reasoning is that putting the tungsten grip on a base X5 does not make it into a Legion.

It just makes it a base X5 with a heavy grip that puts it over the weight limit for a base X5.

Perhaps my recollection is faulty and maybe I'm out of date given the number of recent changes in the Prod rules.

Edited by ddc