Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum grip modules from Icarus Precision

Rudukai13

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, valerko said:

Interesting , doesn't look like there's whole lot of stippling on those frames  . In aluminum , they look slick 

Their now in-production version has a different grip pattern that has the potential to be much grippier;

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/ace-320-grip

I’ll know soon, I ordered one from their first production run

I am an X5 Legion owner (shot first match with it yesterday) and I like it.  Clearly this is a competition frame, why not a full dust cover?  Why not offer one with a smooth grip so it is set up to do a silicone carbide grip job?

I would be interested in a perfect situation, but this looks like it has compromises for true competition.  A metal grip like this is just not gonna provide a sufficient surface for competition as designed in my opinion

14 minutes ago, zhunter said:

I am an X5 Legion owner (shot first match with it yesterday) and I like it.  Clearly this is a competition frame, why not a full dust cover?  Why not offer one with a smooth grip so it is set up to do a silicone carbide grip job?

I would be interested in a perfect situation, but this looks like it has compromises for true competition.  A metal grip like this is just not gonna provide a sufficient surface for competition as designed in my opinion

I don’t believe the manufacturer specifically intended for it to be a competition frame, that’s not how they’ve been marketing it on social media and the word “competition” appears nowhere on the product page of their webstore.

I also would’ve preferred to see two separate variants, a true Fullsize grip module with full-length dustcover and a true Compact grip module that could take 15-round magazines, but just about every manufacturer offering or developing aftermarket grip modules (Mirzon, Icarus Precision, Polymer80, B&T, etc) seem to be trying to split the difference with one product and are almost exclusively producing Carry dimensioned grip modules - The one exception being Wilson Combat, which is offering Carry and true Fullsize modules from the go.

Per your other point though, they actually are offering a no-texture “blank” version of the grip module (slightly less expensive too);

https://www.icarusprecision.com/product-page/ace-320-blanks

This would allow someone to either machine or engrave the grip texture of their choosing into the grip module or provides a perfect blank canvas to add grip tape or silicone carbide.

My hope is that if these Carry grip modules are successful and they get enough interest from consumers for a Fullsize and Compact variant, they’ll put them into production. Given that they’re CNC machined from a chunk of aluminum, making alterations to the CAD file for a Fullsize and Compact variant would be a relatively simple and inexpensive leap from the design that they already have.

I ordered one of these from their first production batch. Does it have exactly all the features I wanted on a metal grip module? Not at all - But if we want the best chance that this and/or other companies will go on and develop other variants of metal grip modules that do include other desired features in the future, we have to show that there’s a demand for metal grip modules in the first place

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They’re working on a more competition-oriented variant of their machined aluminum P320 grip modules that includes a full-length dustcover, integrated magwell, and what looks to be a more grippy texture. Would be a nice addition for running a P320 in either USPSA Limited or 3 Gun TacOps divisions or for anyone using a P320 as a fullsize duty pistol. Sounds like they have a lot of other variants of machined grip modules in the pipeline as well!

8 hours ago, whitestardan said:

Is this suppose to be the "Tactical Carry" frame they're advertising on their website?  I know the M17/M18 frame makes me want to build a custom P320.185695_028a5a2d536f4f2fa27b92b57c66d1d6~

Your picture isn’t showing up so I’m not quite sure what you’re referencing, but based on their social media posts I believe the Tactical Carry grip module is basically the same as the M17/18 module without the thumb safety cutout. You can contact them through their website for a more certain answer though

7 minutes ago, a_whole_lot_of_freedom said:

Has anyone get actual tried any of these products or are they still in production?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have one of the X-Carry modules. It’s very nicely made, very tight tolerances and feels pretty good in the hand. It’s with my gunsmith right now but I’ll have it back within a week. More details and thoughts in my Project Nemesis thread.

B70716C6-868F-4CE0-98C0-B4B15F3EA28E.jpe

The X-Carry and M17/18 variants are currently available for purchase on their website, with the Tactical Carry and Competition versions available soon. And it sounds like they have more variants in development, hopefully including a true Compact version sooner than later. They also make a few aluminum grip modules for the P365 and P365 XL, which have been available for a while now and every review I’ve seen of those has been equally positive to my own experience with their product

I should note I’m in no way affiliated with or paid by the company, I’m just very excited to finally see some quality metal grip modules for the platform coming on the market and impressed with the responsiveness of the company to customer requests and feedback

I should note I’m in no way affiliated with or paid by the company, I’m just very excited to finally see some quality metal grip modules for the platform coming on the market and impressed with the responsiveness of the company to customer requests and feedback
I just got rid of my X5 for a steel frame. Had I known this was an option I might have held onto it for a little longer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, whitestardan said:

My excitement for this just died. I emailed the company and these frames aren't hard anodized.  As soon as the cerakote wears off there's protecting the metal.  While I don't mind cerakote over stainless steel, I'll pass on this. 

You can purchase the grip module unfinished raw and have your own coating applied if you want something other than cerakote

On 6/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, Rudukai13 said:

You can purchase the grip module unfinished raw and have your own coating applied if you want something other than cerakote

And by that point, I'm at $500+ just in a frame.  By that time, I might as well look at 2011s.

On 6/25/2020 at 10:24 PM, whitestardan said:

And by that point, I'm at $500+ just in a frame.  By that time, I might as well look at 2011s.

Unless you already have hundreds of dollars invested in P320 mags and accessories for Production/CO divisions. It’s up to the individual buyer to decide if the price of entry is worth it