Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm case stuck in de-capping die

I have a 9mm case stuck in the end of my Dillon decapping die. I tried to hammer it out from the other end with a hammer and screw driver but all I did was make matters worse by smashing the lip of the case inside the die so now it won't fit through the opening in the end of the die. Any ideas how to get the case out or is this a lost cause and I should

I just buy another die

20191121_220753.thumb.jpg.e4e45b31a315f1376661898171ee20f9.jpg 

Edited by GregInAtl

Some put in freezer... not sure if that works.

There is always a stuck case remover. RCBS works fine. I have never seen anyone stick a pistol case before. Odd. Another option is to put die in single stage press and try to get the rim inserted back into the shell holder.... takes a bit of work. Seems there is plenty of rim left. 

Grip the case rim in a pair of vise grips (tight as hell) and try to get it to spin, then gently rotate & rock it back out.

Failing that, drill and tap the primer pocket to thread in a bolt so you can use THAT to pull the case out.

I’ve had to do both.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The sure way is to drill and tap case then use a socket that matches the site but allow the case to pass and thread a bolt into it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

^ this is all the RCBS stuck case remover is so if you have an appropriately sized drill bit, tap, socket & bolt you can do it cheaply.

It’s also the quickest & easiest. I wouldn’t mess around with any other solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that you have the case removed I would now suggest using Hornady One Shot to lube the pistol cases prior to loading if your not already doing so. That stuff works great with 9mm cases, really smooths the press out while resizing.

• 3 years later...
On 11/21/2019 at 11:17 PM, GregInAtl said:

I thought about spraying silicone or some kind of lubricant on it but I don't want to contaminate the rounds

I've run into exactly the same issue tonight while loading some 9mm.  I tried doing that except using slip joint pliers on the case head and a crescent wrench on the top of the die.  All I managed to do is rip up more of the case head.  I'll contact Dillon tomorrow to see what they advise...but figuring I'm not going to get this fixed fast, I just ordered a Lee carbide sizing die.  I figure I can use that until my Dillon is back in business.

I even tried letting it soak in some BlasterPB, figuring I can always wash it with alcohol later...this FC case does not want to leave.  I tried pounding it out (off the press) and got nowhere.  I've got some ideas involving tools I don't have...and don't have time now or in the next few days to go to a friend's house/shop and do more battle with this thing.

Unable to get over to a friend's house for the next several days (to use his vise), I went ahead and just ordered a "spare" Lee 9mm carbide sizing die, figuring it wouldn't hurt to have a spare.  It arrived today, and I installed it tonight.  Second round through it, the decapping pin pushed up.  So, I had to take the die off the press to reset that.  Two rounds later, I rip the edges off the head of another stuck case!?!  So, now I've got 2 9mm sizing dies with stuck cases.  

I've been loading on this press (and the Dillon dies) for 15 years...tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm, and never had this happen before Monday.

43 minutes ago, njl said:

Unable to get over to a friend's house for the next several days (to use his vise), I went ahead and just ordered a "spare" Lee 9mm carbide sizing die, figuring it wouldn't hurt to have a spare.  It arrived today, and I installed it tonight.  Second round through it, the decapping pin pushed up.  So, I had to take the die off the press to reset that.  Two rounds later, I rip the edges off the head of another stuck case!?!  So, now I've got 2 9mm sizing dies with stuck cases.  

I've been loading on this press (and the Dillon dies) for 15 years...tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm, and never had this happen before Monday.

What is the headstamp of the brass?  I had some stuck cases when I tried to size stepped cases.   Now, I'm more careful and make sure those stepped cases go into the recycle bin.

If you don't already have one.. Get something like this.

https://www.scheels.com/p/rcbs-stuck-case-remover/07668309340.html?msclkid=77bd8e882b161cdde0e9eabf44d8c5fd

Edited by 67isb

On 4/12/2023 at 10:57 PM, 67isb said:

What is the headstamp of the brass?  I had some stuck cases when I tried to size stepped cases.   Now, I'm more careful and make sure those stepped cases go into the recycle bin.

https://www.scheels.com/p/rcbs-stuck-case-remover/07668309340.html?msclkid=77bd8e882b161cdde0e9eabf44d8c5fd

The one in my Dillon die is FC.  The one in the Lee die is IMI.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:57 PM, 67isb said:

I ordered one of those, but ended up not needing/using it.  I got over to my friend's house and we used a machinist's vise to hold the dies and a scrap of round bar steel as a punch and a hammer to tap the cases out.  I cleaned the dies with brake cleaner and then isopropyl alcohol, put the Lee away, and the Dillon back on my press.  I haven't loaded any ammo yet, but I did size a couple dozen cases and though a few felt like they wanted to stick, none did.

12 hours ago, Farmer said:

Lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube

Lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lubeLube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube lube. 

Unless there's something wrong/broken on my RL550B, I think using lube was actually the issue.  For loading pistol ammo, I've been using lube for years.  What I use is Lansinoh lanolin cream.  I rub a little between my first finger and thumb and as I'm handling cases on their way into the press, they get lubed.  I usually end up with too much, and wipe off the excess on a folded paper towel that sits next to the press.  Often, rather than dispense from the tube, I can just pick up some of this excess, rub it between my fingers, and go.  I don't know if lanolin can get too old (and what's in the tube goes bad?), dry out sitting on a paper towel, or maybe what was on the towel collected some "decapping crud", but I'm guessing something about that lube caused my problem.  What I don't get is, I haven't changed anything about how I load, and I've been doing this for years (low tens of thousands of rounds).  My largest tube is left over from when the one of the kids was a baby...so it's got to be at least 16 years old.

I'm going to stop using old lanolin that's been sitting on a paper towel, but if it still happens again, I may need to change lubes or buy a fresh tube of Lansinoh.