Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dpp vs sro vs romeo3xl durability

jeremy kemlo

I have used the DeltaPoint pro for quite a while. Sent two of them back. Currently they are running well. Recently purchased an SRO. Interested in possibly trying out the Romeo3  XL. Anyone have any long-term Durability update  on the Romeo three XL when slide mounted. 

On 11/22/2019 at 7:55 PM, LMS said:

Interested in the responses.    I like my DPP, but it sucks that I have to have a spare for when I send one back.

If you're remotely serious about this sport, you will want to have a backup optic on the shelf no matter which optic you use. All slide optics will eventually experience issues or fail completely.

On 11/24/2019 at 7:08 PM, ClangClang said:

If you're remotely serious about this sport, you will want to have a backup optic on the shelf no matter which optic you use. All slide optics will eventually experience issues or fail completely.

No doubt true.

On 11/24/2019 at 6:08 PM, ClangClang said:

or just a complete second setup. LOL. I wont say back up, as it depends on what fashion statement I want to project for that match 😜

I have had Vortex, DPP, Holosun, CMore, and have now settled on the SRO. 

Vortex durability is pure s#!t. CMore is by far the only one I have not had a single issue with, but it was frame mounted. 

The others are pretty equal. But I like the SRO as it is as close to the window of a CMore.  

I don't have any experience with the DPP or Sig but my SRO has been great so far. About 1.5K rounds with it mounted on an SP-01 and no issues. I know others have stated that the elevation can shift but I haven't seen that with mine. I would highly recommend it, the only thing that took a bit of getting used to was the shape of the lens.

• 6 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 10:35 AM, Truckin_Thumper said:

or just a complete second setup. LOL. I wont say back up, as it depends on what fashion statement I want to project for that match 😜

I have had Vortex, DPP, Holosun, CMore, and have now settled on the SRO. 

Vortex durability is pure s#!t. CMore is by far the only one I have not had a single issue with, but it was frame mounted. 

The others are pretty equal. But I like the SRO as it is as close to the window of a CMore.  

Would you recommend the SRO over the DPP ?  I’m trying to decide between the two. It’ll be a slide mount optic which I know has a tend to eventually break. 

A while back, before I bought my optics and put my CO gun together, I tried to ask shooters I'd see with pistol dots their thoughts... pretty much to a man, all the guys at matches who really put a bunch of rounds downrange told me to skip the DPP because of issues and having to send them back. All the guys I talked to with SRO's seemed to be pretty happy with them and none of them had had one die on them (yet).Everyone was pretty curious about the newer/bigger Sig dots but I couldn't find anyone running them local to me and all were weary of their durability due to Sig's more recent history of having their consumers beta test their products for them after release...

I ended up buying a couple 5moa SRO's: 1 lives on my CO S2OR and has been great and issue-free so far through only about 2000rds, and 1 (which can be pulled as a back-up for my CO gun) lives a much easier life on my MPX PCC which I don't shoot as much as my pistols, and has been great so far through only about 1000rds... I have absolutely no drama to report so far, which is exactly what I want, and hope things stay that way.

That said FYI/FWIW, I'm starting to get convinced that Trijicon is incapable of making a true, distortion-free ,1X optic (even with the SRO's)... I went through 4 different MRO's that all had pretty bad magnification/distortion issues, every single RMR (out of probably like 10+ over the years) I've ever seen is a little wonky, and it's kind of the same thing continued (only not near as bad) with the SRO's; they too have very slight magnification, and distortion around the edges, but I can put up with it because they still check most of the boxes and are built very robust so I just deal with it.

It's something you don't hear about a lot, because it seems to me at least, that there is just some sort of weird "fanboy delusion" around Trijicon and some other "top-tier" manufacturers, where guys take their pride-of-ownership a little too far after dropping some serious coin on things, and aren't as critical or honest about their shortcomings. With a lot of gun stuff, seems sometimes having the "name" makes people look past stuff, and having the "name" means they keep selling and never get made right (JMHO).

I can't quite understand how if Holosun can manage to make a true 1x distortion-free optic for $100-200, why Trijicon can't for $400-500+..? 🙄

That leads me to the Sig optics, specifically the Romeo 3 Max/XL models: looking through them they look awesome, they are definitely clearer than the SRO's and seem to be free of magnification which is great... but, already I've been hearing of things like wandering zero's, and the electronics taking a dump within the first few hundred rounds, and with Sig's reputation, I'm just not willing to be an early adopter just yet...

Edited by ck1

On 6/10/2020 at 9:45 AM, Zack15 said:

Would you recommend the SRO over the DPP ?  I’m trying to decide between the two. It’ll be a slide mount optic which I know has a tend to eventually break. 

Seems the SRO is having less issues posted...POSTED being the keyword. 

for competition use, the SRO seems best, I dont think either is above the other for non competition use. 

On 6/10/2020 at 12:48 PM, ck1 said:

A while back, before I bought my optics and put my CO gun together, I tried to ask shooters I'd see with pistol dots their thoughts... pretty much to a man, all the guys at matches who really put a bunch of rounds downrange told me to skip the DPP because of issues and having to send them back. All the guys I talked to with SRO's seemed to be pretty happy with them and none of them had had one die on them (yet).Everyone was pretty curious about the newer/bigger Sig dots but I couldn't find anyone running them local to me and all were weary of their durability due to Sig's more recent history of having their consumers beta test their products for them after release...

I ended up buying a couple 5moa SRO's: 1 lives on my CO S2OR and has been great and issue-free so far through only about 2000rds, and 1 (which can be pulled as a back-up for my CO gun) lives a much easier life on my MPX PCC which I don't shoot as much as my pistols, and has been great so far through only about 1000rds... I have absolutely no drama to report so far, which is exactly what I want, and hope things stay that way.

That said FYI/FWIW, I'm starting to get convinced that Trijicon is incapable of making a true, distortion-free ,1X optic (even with the SRO's)... I went through 4 different MRO's that all had pretty bad magnification/distortion issues, every single RMR (out of probably like 10+ over the years) I've ever seen is a little wonky, and it's kind of the same thing continued (only not near as bad) with the SRO's; they too have very slight magnification, and distortion around the edges, but I can put up with it because they still check most of the boxes and are built very robust so I just deal with it.

It's something you don't hear about a lot, because it seems to me at least, that there is just some sort of weird "fanboy delusion" around Trijicon and some other "top-tier" manufacturers, where guys take their pride-of-ownership a little too far after dropping some serious coin on things, and aren't as critical or honest about their shortcomings. With a lot of gun stuff, seems sometimes having the "name" makes people look past stuff, and having the "name" means they keep selling and never get made right (JMHO).

I can't quite understand how if Holosun can manage to make a true 1x distortion-free optic for $100-200, why Trijicon can't for $400-500+..? 🙄

That leads me to the Sig optics, specifically the Romeo 3 Max/XL models: looking through them they look awesome, they are definitely clearer than the SRO's and seem to be free of magnification which is great... but, already I've been hearing of things like wandering zero's, and the electronics taking a dump within the first few hundred rounds, and with Sig's reputation, I'm just not willing to be an early adopter just yet...

Thank you for the great write up and thoughts on the optics.  

I’ve heard similar things and thought maybe the SRO would live up with their hype.  I heard great things about the sigs from some other people on here that seem to really like them. 

I’d be rubbing it on the the slide so I know that kind of pushes there limits more so than frame mounted (or at least I’d think it would). 

I’ve really only heard good things about holosun and for their price point, it’s hard to beat. 

25 minutes ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

Seems the SRO is having less issues posted...POSTED being the keyword. 

for competition use, the SRO seems best, I dont think either is above the other for non competition use. 

That’s true! And that’s why I’ve been asking the shooters who really push their equipment what was  there thoughts on it. 

The SRO just seems pretty expensive when you have some other choices; sig, Aimpoint, or even holosun out there. 

5 hours ago, Zack15 said:

I’ve really only heard good things about holosun and for their price point, it’s hard to beat. 

Agreed, but remember there is a tipping point with $$$ saved vs performance because pretty much all mini red dots are kinda expensive... so with the Holosun’s, if the cheaper 407C at like $230ish will work for you then they’re great... but if you start looking at the nicer ones like the 508T or something at more like $400ish, IMHO you might as well spend just a little more and get an SRO because the bigger window and tougher build is probably worth it.

I really like the SRO’s so far, but above I just wanted to be honest that they aren’t perfect is all. 

I really wish I trusted Sig enough to try a Romeo3XL... but as an MPX-owner, I just can’t hahaha... I mean the MPX came out in ‘15-16, but it took ‘em until last year to get it right 😝

7 minutes ago, ck1 said:

Agreed, but remember there is a tipping point with $$$ saved vs performance because pretty much all mini red dots are kinda expensive... so with the Holosun’s, if the cheaper 407C at like $230ish will work for you then they’re great... but if you start looking at the nicer ones like the 508T or something at more like $400ish, IMHO you might as well spend just a little more and get an SRO because the bigger window and tougher build is probably worth it.

I really like the SRO’s so far, but above I just wanted to be honest that they aren’t perfect is all. 

I really wish I trusted Sig enough to try a Romeo3XL... but as an MPX-owner, I just can’t hahaha... I mean the MPX came out in ‘15-16, but it took ‘em until last year to get it right 😝

I agree.  And I do believe the old saying, buy once cry once.  I know that I’ll end up buying more than once due to the fact no optic will last forever, but If you’re going to spend the money might as well get the best.  

I’ve heard good and bad things about the sigs but if I get a honcho on order, it looks like I’ll have plenty of time (20 week lead time) to figure out which optic to get. 

Thank you for your input 🤙🏻

I really wish the 3 Max would hold windage zero, because I like the thinner bezel on my CO gun, but I keep taking the SRO off, putting the Max on, taking the Max off again after it breaks and putting the SRO back on until the Max comes back and I try again.  Takes a thousand rounds or so to knock the Max screws loose IME, but the SROs are just energizer bunnies going and going and going...

Max's are holding up great on my frame-mount open guns FWIW.

I have tried the Holosun, DPP, SRO, and most recently the Sig Max 3. I haven’t any issues at all with any of them. I think I prefer the Holosun over all of them mainly because that’s what is on my carry gun. All of them have worked well for me dating back to 2017 and several thousand rounds. 

11 hours ago, MikeNS said:

I have tried the Holosun, DPP, SRO, and most recently the Sig Max 3. I haven’t any issues at all with any of them. I think I prefer the Holosun over all of them mainly because that’s what is on my carry gun. All of them have worked well for me dating back to 2017 and several thousand rounds. 

What holosun are running ? And did you have any issues going between the holosun to SRO or was it easy to pick up the dot on either? 

11 hours ago, MikeNS said:

I have tried the Holosun, DPP, SRO, and most recently the Sig Max 3. I haven’t any issues at all with any of them. I think I prefer the Holosun over all of them mainly because that’s what is on my carry gun. All of them have worked well for me dating back to 2017 and several thousand rounds

When you say several, what does that mean? In this forum that could range from 2-3k, up to 20-30k depending who you're talking to.

2 hours ago, Zack15 said:

What holosun are running ? And did you have any issues going between the holosun to SRO or was it easy to pick up the dot on either? 

507C V2 as well as the original V1. No issues at all. Proper index of the gun alleviates 99% of issues with finding the dot. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

When you say several, what does that mean? In this forum that could range from 2-3k, up to 20-30k depending who you're talking to.

Very true. I would say around 20k-30k since 2017. 

5 minutes ago, MikeNS said:

507C V2 as well as the original V1. No issues at all. Proper index of the gun alleviates 99% of issues with finding the dot. 

Thanks! I’ve heard a lot of good things of the 507.  And for their price point; it’s hard to beat. 

5 minutes ago, MikeNS said:

Very true. I would say around 20k-30k since 2017. 

Wow! That’s a ton of rounds without having a major issues. It seems like holosun is hard to beat.  

19 minutes ago, Zack15 said:

Wow! That’s a ton of rounds without having a major issues. It seems like holosun is hard to beat.  

That’s across all optics. I’ve been shooting CO since 17. I would say 60% of those rounds have been with a Holosun and 30% with the DPP. The other various options make up the other 10%. 

23 minutes ago, MikeNS said:

That’s across all optics. I’ve been shooting CO since 17. I would say 60% of those rounds have been with a Holosun and 30% with the DPP. The other various options make up the other 10%. 

I’m looking at getting the honcho and running an optic on the slide, more for just a range gun, but wanted to get a good long lasting optic. I don’t know all the rules for CO in steel challenges so I don’t know if I could run it in that or not.  But thanks for the info.