Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

“IPSC style stages”

Climbhard

more movement, less target "arrays" and more single target presentations, often higher target difficulty, less hardcover and no-shoot target

more short and medium courses, in regards to round count but not necessarily physical size, 

Edited by MikeBurgess

9 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

IPSC style means more moving, partial targets. 

More as in how many more/how much more often?

To be quite honest I had to go look on youtube.  Searched for IPSC production (since that's what I shoot) and lo and behold about 95% of the IPSC stages I saw look pretty much like the ones I see several times a month in USPSA matches.  Only main difference I noticed was a slightly more frequent use of swingers/movers/disappearing targets.

Overall it looked the same as what I'm used to.

People tend to think 'IPSC = more running' but random sprints thrown into a stage is rare.  What it is is less targets and more movement between them.

They'll use a whole bay for a 12 -round stage.   

This stage, takes up an entire bay and the shooting area could be 20 yards wide.  Hit factor in the 4's-- you'd better be accurate and have good movement skills.

Capture-EHC.JPG

13 minutes ago, Climbhard said:

wow, that stage would really put a premium on points.

I set things like that up locally and it is amazing how often people shoot A/C combinations on the targets as if they’re a 10 HF stage where that can be a winning strategy.

A 12-18 round stage with lots of movement, a steel and activator, a tight position for a single target, etc?

They really test your ability to be efficient in EVERYTHING the stage features.

1 hour ago, shred said:

People tend to think 'IPSC = more running' but random sprints thrown into a stage is rare.  What it is is less targets and more movement between them.

They'll use a whole bay for a 12 -round stage.   

This stage, takes up an entire bay and the shooting area could be 20 yards wide.  Hit factor in the 4's-- you'd better be accurate and have good movement skills.

IPSC is all I do. Haven't seen that much movement for a Short stage, in my area.

USPSA still limits the number of shooting positions for short and medium courses.  This tends to limit movement in the design of the stage.

IPSC did away with those restrictions around 2008.  It really opened up stage design options with respect to movement in short and medium courses.

• 4 weeks later...

This was part of a match that was 24 stages however, so they had plenty of bays and real estate to work with, and could use a big bay for a 12 round stage like that.

Ontelaunee has been mixing in some really great small and medium courses with a bit of movement, as part of their monthly USPSA matches to bump up the total number of stages while keeping the total roundcount of the match reasonable and still able to be completed in a day. I like small and medium courses that are short, to the point, and challenging.

I think part of the problem is everyone's concept of a short course is what the USPSA Classifiers are, which are for the most part - stand in a box and shoot an array of targets, with a couple strings. I think that the classifier stages have incorrectly set the tone for what a short course is "supposed to be" and it sometimes gets replicated by match directors and stage designers who are pressed for time and put most of their energy into the big field courses. It's been really good stage designs from Ontelaunee and from some of the major matches, that I feel like that old cycle is starting to be broken.

Capture-EHC.JPG

Edited by sc68cal

Wow.  I really like that.  Your right the limitation on number of shooting positions really limits option on short and medium courses.  I like IPSC's idea.  Makes those C and D's a bigger penalty when points are limited.