Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Thumb Safety Issue

GBertolet

I recently acquired, a little used Cajun Shadow 2. It was too good of a deal to pass up. The previous owner had it built to be carried cocked and locked, with the big mudflap safety installed. I hope at some time to try it in production division. The problem is, the existing safety activates so easily, it will surely come on during a match, so it's got to be addressed. You don't use this safety anyway, as you start with hammer down. I have the original safety, which I plan to install. What do I have to do to make this safety impossible to accidentally go on? Is it a spring or detent issue?

If it was a 1911, fixing this would be a snap, but I am unfamiliar with the CZ platform, so this will be a learning curve.

Edited by GBertolet

One option is to increase the safety detent spring tension. This would make the safety lever more positive in the on and off position.

CZ Extra Power Thumb Safety Spring

http://dsperman.com/products/CZSpring/CZSpring.html

When a new sear and or safety lever is installed it generally requires hand fitting on one of these two parts to allow the safety to function. Without fitting the safety can not be engaged with the hammer fully cocked.

" mudflap safety " first time i have heard that one. Good stuff. 🙂

Edited by Tok36

The standard safety I have, was originally fitted by the factory, so it should be a drop in. It came in the old parts bag from Cajun. Cajun put the mudflap safety on for the previous owner, and there is little or no tension to move it.

I think Tok36 has you going in the right direction.  I don't have a Shadow 2 but the TS has a safety detent on both sides and it is a VERY easy part to lose or install incorrectly.  If it is installed correctly, a stronger spring should solve your problems pretty easily.  Otherwise your safety is out of spec.

Don't know about the Shadow 2 because I do not have one, but I have installed the extra power safety detent springs identified by Tok36 in two SP-01s, which seem to generally have the wimpy safety tension.  In my view they were not safe to carry cocked and locked before, but after I installed the new springs they were good.  

3 hours ago, perttime said:

How do you get the safety on? Don't you keep your thumb on it when shooting?

I haven't handled a Shadow 2 but on, every other CZ, I've found it hard to put the safety on with the strong hand thumb. Could be my hand size?

The CZ safeties definitely are further forward than 1911s.  Maybe it is where you place the gun in the web between thumb and forefinger?  Or maybe you do not take a high grip?

21 minutes ago, Greenrunner said:

The CZ safeties definitely are further forward than 1911s.  Maybe it is where you place the gun in the web between thumb and forefinger?  Or maybe you do not take a high grip?

Now that I think about it..... The basic CZ 75 that I had, way back, may have had, a very stiff lever. The TS that I fired had a bend in the lever: the rear of the lever was much lower than the front, and got in the way of pushing the front end up.

On the big CZC paddle safeties, and some others, you engage the safety by using your thumb and pushing towards the muzzle and slightly downward on the very back of the paddle.

For those that were unaware. You can't really get your thumb under it. Personally, I have gotten into the habit of engaging the safety with my weak hand before holstering. I just feel its a better safety habit.