Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Limited Pump Guns- What is everyone using?

ABarrow

I've been wanting to jump into Heavy Limited. What are most running for Shotty? Is there a noticeable difference between a Nova/Supernova and the 870 that has been sitting in my safe for years. Other than tube and loading port, what mods are people doing to pumps? Thanks

Started with a Nova, now run a SN.

Most desirable difference for me was the ability to adjust cant and drop of the stock. Other than that both received: mag cutoff removal, front stock cut/modified for easier loading and to eliminate possible binding, removed textured lines from bolt release lever and rounded the ends, action arms and bolt surfaces smoothed and diamond honed, forcing cone lengthened, added mercury reducer, loading port mods, stippled stocks, limbsaver recoil pad and added flip up sights for slugs.

I've seen some have the action arms shortened for faster cycling but I've also witnessed those same action arms break in pieces during a match...

1 hour ago, Bentsight said:

Started with a Nova, now run a SN.

Most desirable difference for me was the ability to adjust cant and drop of the stock. Other than that both received: mag cutoff removal, front stock cut/modified for easier loading and to eliminate possible binding, removed textured lines from bolt release lever and rounded the ends, action arms and bolt surfaces smoothed and diamond honed, forcing cone lengthened, added mercury reducer, loading port mods, stippled stocks, limbsaver recoil pad and added flip up sights for slugs.

I've seen some have the action arms shortened for faster cycling but I've also witnessed those same action arms break in pieces during a match...

This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Thank You!

• 2 weeks later...

I ran a mossy 590 for YEARS and the only thing close to a complaint I ever had was no mini shells.  And even that didn't matter, because most of the matches I went to didn't allow them or had things like spinners to make them problematic.

Then I bought a supernova.  It was cheap, it's a duck's unlimited freebie gun that I paid $199 for in a pawn shop.  I put a limbsaver and a fiber optic bead on it, and it has been flawless. 

I still like the 590, and if I needed a shotgun for reals it gets the call, but, even stock the supernova is awesome.  I actually think the shell cutoff is super useful for that one or two slugs in the middle of a bunch of shot targets,  just port load and go..

I have ran a 24" Nova since 2010. It is stock except for an additional fiber bead, some small smoothing of the loading port, chamfering of the mag tube entrance and a +5 Nordic tube. I also stoned the action bars and drilled a hole in the stock to allow a Proctor sling to be attached. It has been flawless in operation and is considerably easier for me to load than a Remington 870 (I grew up hunting with an 870 and still have three of them, but like the Nova much more for 3 gun).

Hurley 

I've run an 870 for years and wouldn't change it.  If you run one very fast you'll want to mod the action bars to change the shell latch timing - it's not hard, but nobody does it commercially.

I tried a Nova to see what all the hyp was about and feels goofy the way it cycles.  My 870 is much smoother/faster to cycle.

870 vs 590 is the Ford vs Chevy of the shotgun world with the Winchester 1300 coming in as a distant third... like Dodge.   I like the 590 because it is easier to load because the carrier is always out of the way.  On an 870, it stays down and is spring loaded so you could potentially dump shells on the ground if you are sloppy loading (which everyone is). 

The 870 IMHO is a better hunting and police gun, but the 590 has a few features like the carrier that stays out of the way, and the top mounted safety that you can SEE in firing position (rather than fumbling around with the trigger guard) that make it slightly better for competition.  The (super)nova splits the difference with a bottom mounted safety, and a carrier that stays down until you push it, then latches up, and provides a bit of a loading ramp. 

Older 870s are indeed smooth as glass.  Newer ones maybe not so much.  A 590 will always be less polished and slick than an 870 of similar shell count.  The supernova has a LOT of plastic to overcome, so will never be as smooth as either the 870 or 590, even if you send it off to be high-dollar smithed on.  It is, however a tube with a trigger, and you can put shot on target plenty fast, especially with practice.  The only time I have ever noticed how smooth a shotgun cycled, was standing in front of my safe.   In a match you will never notice once that buzzer goes off.

Its all personal preference, and whatever you get used to and train with is what you will become proficient at.  My advice is to show up at a match with a bunch of extra shells and see if you can try them all on a stage or two.  

If you have the 870, run the 870 until you know what you like and don't like about it.
I'm running a SuperNova with a tube. I feel that the stock port is fine for quads(though some chop the forend up to make it easier), and I didn't have to drill dimples or anything like that to make the tube work.

Haven't run an 870 enough to comment on the trigger, or much else, for that matter, but I did notice with slugs at 100yd that the SN trigger is really heavy.

If the 870 is a 3.5" gun, the loading port may be ok for quads, but on the 2.5"(or maybe 3") that I have access to seems like the port is a little "deep", with a steep triggerguard, which may make it a little trickier.

I've been using a Stoeger P3000 for last season and it's been holding up alright. Had Roth Performance put their monotube on and cut the loading port on it. It's been holding up pretty decent, but its developed a couple quirks that I dont really care for. It likes locking up when the trigger is pulled on an empty chamber. I should have saved the extra couple hundred dollars and gotten a Supernova as the base gun if I shot more, but for a gun that doesnt get used much I can't really fault it for much.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, Matt in TN said:

I've run an 870 for years and wouldn't change it.  If you run one very fast you'll want to mod the action bars to change the shell latch timing - it's not hard, but nobody does it commercially.

Matt when you say  Mod action bars What exactly do you mean. Thanks

Winning shooters in the European manual shotgun classes are almost exclusively running novas or supernovas, the winning shooters in the few larger heavy 3 gun matches are also almost exclusively running these Benellis.

The loading port is the upside to the Benelli. It's made to be twin/quad loaded. 

twos.jpg

I'd like to sell mine since I never use it anymore, but I've sunk so much into (like $120 in chokes alone lol)  it I'll never get it back. :(

Edited by cas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 12:58 PM, Matt in TN said:

See the thread here:  

Thanks for the awesome info. Found a duplicate of my 870 at a pawn shop for next to nothing, had a buddy with welding skill mod the action bars, and I am finishing up the loading port.Now to shoot some heavy limited.

Picked up  a police 870 with surefire forend without a barrel for 189.00. Had 3 barrels at home.  Put together a first shot gun for  my nephew. all i need is a  tube extension.  going to be a great 21st Bday  present.   

• 2 months later...

=

On 11/15/2019 at 6:32 PM, barrysuperhawk said:

870 vs 590 is the Ford vs Chevy of the shotgun world with the Winchester 1300 coming in as a distant third... like Dodge.   I like the 590 because it is easier to load because the carrier is always out of the way.  On an 870, it stays down and is spring loaded so you could potentially dump shells on the ground if you are sloppy loading (which everyone is). 

I have the 590 and I actually want a carrier there - it would make a nice ramp for twins or quad loading.

21 hours ago, recoilchamp said:

=

I have the 590 and I actually want a carrier there - it would make a nice ramp for twins or quad loading.

Well, if it stayed down (up), as a ramp, like on a Benelli, then it would be great, but it is spring loaded, so if you aren't 100% on your technique (and nobody that reads internet forums looking for advice, is) then its a recipe for disaster...