Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Limited Pump Guns- What is everyone using?

ABarrow

9 hours ago, barrysuperhawk said:

Well, if it stayed down (up), as a ramp, like on a Benelli, then it would be great, but it is spring loaded, so if you aren't 100% on your technique (and nobody that reads internet forums looking for advice, is) then its a recipe for disaster...

Don't all semi's (Benelli M2, Stoeger M3000, Remington Versamax) have a carrier that stays up? People load fine with those.

2 hours ago, mgkrs said:

Don't all semi's (Benelli M2, Stoeger M3000, Remington Versamax) have a carrier that stays up? People load fine with those.

Ok, maybe I wasnt clear, so allow me to elaborate.  All of these guns are semi-auto.  We are discussing pumps, and the Mossberg, Benelli and Remmington all do it differently.  On the Mossberg, with the pump forward and the bolt in battery, the shell lifter slots into the bottom of the bolt, completely out of the way, and it does not drop until you start to rack the pump.  On the Benelli PUMP, with the pump forward and the bolt in battery, the shell lifter is down, more or less flush with the bottom of the receiver, but you can push up on it and it latches in the "up" position forming a quite serviceable ramp down to the magazine tube.  On the Remmington, it is spring loaded down all the time and only pops up on the forward stroke of the pump.  Thus it is possible, on the Remmington, if you fumble a load a bit, and have the lifter spit your shell out back at you.

3 minutes ago, barrysuperhawk said:

Ok, maybe I wasnt clear, so allow me to elaborate.  All of these guns are semi-auto.  We are discussing pumps, and the Mossberg, Benelli and Remmington all do it differently.  On the Mossberg, with the pump forward and the bolt in battery, the shell lifter slots into the bottom of the bolt, completely out of the way, and it does not drop until you start to rack the pump.  On the Benelli PUMP, with the pump forward and the bolt in battery, the shell lifter is down, more or less flush with the bottom of the receiver, but you can push up on it and it latches in the "up" position forming a quite serviceable ramp down to the magazine tube.  On the Remmington, it is spring loaded down all the time and only pops up on the forward stroke of the pump.  Thus it is possible, on the Remmington, if you fumble a load a bit, and have the lifter spit your shell out back at you.

Right, but the shell lifter on semi-autos is spring loaded down, just like the Remington, and it's not difficult to load those. Is the spring a lot stronger on the pump Remington?

Oh, I see, I misunderstood your question.  I don't have an 870 handy to empirically test, but if memory serves, the factory spring *is* heavier than the semi-autos I have tried (Benelli M2, Versamax, and Mossberg 930 SPX/JMpro.  Remember the 870 was designed as a field gun, and the lifter's intent was to keep debris out of the action.   Now, I am not saying it is thumb-busting, or even terribly difficult to master, but it is a distinct difference between the models. 

Now, I will also conceded my bias...  When I was buying my very first shotgun ever, way back in the day, the shop REALLY wanted to sell me an 870 over the 590.  When I was looking at them side by side, it seemed easier to load the Mossberg because of the lifter.  I bought a pre-590 590 (factory marked 500, but with all of the factory 590 features) and that was the only shotgun I owned for almost 20 years.