Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

On 2/27/2024 at 11:43 PM, arcsign said:

Does anybody else find it odd that CZ/DW would go through the trouble to develop a modular serialized part for the DWX (however gorgeous it may be) without any apparent intent to use it elsewhere? It seems like a lot of effort for two models unless they have something planned further down the line… and I haven’t really seen/heard whisperings of anything along those lines.

I mean publicly there’s been 3 different modules shown. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone really aught to just make a steel guide rod that’s ~.325 for the about 1.2 inches ahead of the spring seat and .240 the rest of the length to facilitate standard government length 1911 round wire recoil springs without boring the slide. Really the best upgrade is a 9lbs. 

Edited by Ajohnson15

55 minutes ago, lmaobaka said:

dented in and bent slightly upwards lol

Man, I’ve used the frames as literal hammers on more than a few occasions, that’s kinda impressive, have a picture? 

I probably have a spare or two somewhere 

Edited by Ajohnson15

On 3/1/2024 at 2:56 PM, Ajohnson15 said:

I mean publicly there’s been 3 different modules shown. 

I went poking around yesterday, but couldn’t find a third module; only the full size rail and compact no-rail.

11 hours ago, arcsign said:

I went poking around yesterday, but couldn’t find a third module; only the full size rail and compact no-rail.

Should have been a compact railed module shown at some point in time. Not released, but obviously the part does exist.

On 3/2/2024 at 7:06 PM, Ajohnson15 said:

Someone really aught to just make a steel guide rod that’s ~.325 for the about 1.2 inches ahead of the spring seat and .240 the rest of the length to facilitate standard government length 1911 round wire recoil springs without boring the slide. Really the best upgrade is a 9lbs. 

You mean like this?

https://benstoegerproshop.com/dan-wesson-dwx-full-size-tungsten-guide-rod-by-w74-guide-rods/

On 12/29/2023 at 10:33 PM, Z-Chaos-Factor said:

How long have they had it? 

They have mine too and I'm itching to get it back. 

Howdy, get your DWX back yet?  I emailed Stuart yesterday and he got right back to me letting me know my slide is at the refinisher so at least there's been some progress. Unfortunately, they were supposed to leave the cuts bare metal and send me some pix to let me decide if I wanted to leave them stainless but they forgot - Doh!

4 hours ago, Seakphotog said:

Howdy, get your DWX back yet?  I emailed Stuart yesterday and he got right back to me letting me know my slide is at the refinisher so at least there's been some progress. Unfortunately, they were supposed to leave the cuts bare metal and send me some pix to let me decide if I wanted to leave them stainless but they forgot - Doh!

Funny that you asked. I got the email today. They just finished it, so hopefully I have it back in my hands by end the week. 

Ugh that's a little annoying, Stewart is great about responding but he seems a little spread thin. Hoping when I get mine back everything is done. 

3 hours ago, togmaster said:

The DWX really doesn't need any more weight up front.  I would think a tungsten guide rod is a bit too much.

The point was more that you can use regular 1911 gov springs and it makes it easy to find 7,8,9,10,11 lb springs etc. 

It doesn't add that much weight actually. I also dont think a little bit more weight out front will hurt when you start adding an optic, magwell and loaded mag to the rear of the gun. 

10 hours ago, Z-Chaos-Factor said:

Funny that you asked. I got the email today. They just finished it, so hopefully I have it back in my hands by end the week. 

Ugh that's a little annoying, Stewart is great about responding but he seems a little spread thin. Hoping when I get mine back everything is done. 

Great to hear! Hope you enjoy the results.

Any talk of if/when DW will be filling back orders for the DWX? Having been trying to find one for a couple weeks with zero luck. 
I did sign up for email notifications at a bunch of known vendors so hoping to get lucky with that. 
Did already order a bunch of mags through Cote but no pistol to put them in!

On 3/6/2024 at 7:42 AM, Seakphotog said:

Great to hear! Hope you enjoy the results.

Just got it back in my hands. About to head to the range. 

But initial impressions are extremely positive. 

Mag button is awesome, optic is nice and low, trigger has minimal pre travel and breaks at like 2.5 lbs with a nice positive reset ( maybe not as forceful as it was before, but trigger is lighter too), the whole action is a little extra smooth ( can see all kinds polished areas.

I also had a sebo TS2/ TSO open style magwell that didnt quite fit prior. They hand fit it and seems to be fit perfectly now didnt see any gaps etc. Its got a nice large funnel and works well my henning extensions and the oem 22 rounders. 

Edited by Z-Chaos-Factor

6 minutes ago, Z-Chaos-Factor said:

Just got it back in my hands. About to head to the range. 

But initial impressions are extremely positive. 

Mag button is awesome, optic is nice and low, trigger has minimal pre travel and breaks at like 2.5 lbs with a nice positive reset ( maybe not as forceful as it was before, but trigger is lighter too), the whole action is a little extra smooth ( can see all kinds polished areas.

I also had a sebo TS2/ TSO open style magwell that didnt quite fit prior. They hand fit it and seems to be fit perfectly now didnt see any gaps etc. Its got a nice large funnel and works well my henning extensions and the oem 22 rounders. 

Sounds great!  Enjoy your range time and thanks for posting your thoughts!

On 3/7/2024 at 8:15 PM, 42ATK said:

Any of you cool guys hard chrome your DWX?

Dont threaten me with a good time. 

I had Impact Machine hard chrome my TSO & I absolutely love it. I could see myself eventually getting the DWX hard chromed as well.

Edited by moose97

5 minutes ago, moose97 said:

Dont threaten me with a good time. 

I had Impact Machine hard chrome my TSO & I absolutely love it. I could see myself eventually getting the DWX hard chromed as well.

I wonder if they stopped doing hard chrome… they don’t offer it on their website

On 3/9/2024 at 10:18 PM, 42ATK said:

I wonder if they stopped doing hard chrome… they don’t offer it on their website

The gentleman who did their hard chrome passed away. I don't believe they have a new source. 

18 minutes ago, moose97 said:

The gentleman who did their hard chrome passed away. I don't believe they have a new source. 

Ahh I believe I read his name was Terry. :( tough skillset to replace. I am trying to get precision custom guns to do my hard chrome - they posted a lot of great work

Anyone have any leads on custom slide milling for DWXs? I have a pretty strong idea of what I want. I asked Stuart at CZC (since the pistol is there getting milled for an optic and getting a trigger job) and he gave me a slightly long timeline and I’m impatient lol. I won’t guaranteed get the slide cut (I want to shoot the pistol first) but was pondering what other options are out there…

Edited by 42ATK

13 minutes ago, 42ATK said:

Anyone have any leads on custom slide milling for DWXs? I have a pretty strong idea of what I want. I asked Stuart at CZC (since the pistol is there getting milled for an optic and getting a trigger job) and he gave me a slightly long timeline and I’m impatient lol. I won’t guaranteed get the slide cut (I want to shoot the pistol first) but was pondering what other options are out there…

hands down the best is Dremel tool. and the more expensive the gun is the better it is.