Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/7/2023 at 9:01 AM, CC3D said:

So what's the verdict on the DWX?

Really bizarre the amount of hype around the gun for years and years, seemed like everybody couldn't wait for it to be released. Now that it's out I've seen very little in the way of info about the gun outside of this thread. 

Well over 1000 rounds on mine.  Absolutely no issues.  Everyone that has tried it loves it.  My only issue is that while it's a great gun, it doesn't, for me, have any place in competition.  However, with the provisional Limited Optics in USPSA starting in March, I'm going to redo the trigger, and have it milled for optics. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

Got to handle one today. My local shop got 5 in that all sold in a day. I thought it felt really nice but was surprised at how heavy the trigger felt. 

Weird....the trigger seems to be all over the place then...Some people have reported light triggers some heavy.

But I believe they are supposed to average around 4lbs?

Buyer backed out and there is one available at Bristlecone Shooting and Retail in Lakewood Colorado. Price is 2099. Trigger pull is exactly 4lb. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it.... I have two shadow 2's that I love. It is very nice though. Super short reset, tight lock up, and a crisp trigger break. I think it felt a little heavy for me cause I'm used to my shadow 2 that is right at 3lb. 

7 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Weird....the trigger seems to be all over the place then...Some people have reported light triggers some heavy.

But I believe they are supposed to average around 4lbs?

“Heavy” and “light” are subjective and really have to do with what you’re used to. Mine is a hair over 4#. To me it feels a little heavy. Other people have shot it and think it’s really light. 

First things first- like my shadows the chamber is fairly short on this one too. Max OAL for blue 135 TC's is somewhere around 1.11". None of my reloads would plunk test. To me it feels a little more balanced than my shadow 2. More weight in the barrel for sure. Compared to my shadow 2's with CGW packages the trigger definitely feels a little heavy. It's very crisp with no creep but I'll definitely be lightening it. I'm sure it will break in a little but CGW is coming out with a package to get the trigger under 3lb. Mine is a crisp 4lb even. The reset is very short. Overall fit and finish is what you would expect. No complaints at all. Looking forward to shooting it more! I imagine eventually I will have the slide milled for an SRO. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

51 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

First things first- like my shadows the chamber is fairly short on this one too. Max OAL for blue 135 TC's is somewhere around 1.11". None of my reloads would plunk test. To me it feels a little more balanced than my shadow 2. More weight in the barrel for sure. Compared to my shadow 2's with CGW packages the trigger definitely feels a little heavy. It's very crisp with no creep but I'll definitely be lightening it. I'm sure it will break in a little but CGW is coming out with a package to get the trigger under 3lb. Mine is a crisp 4lb even. The reset is very short. Overall fit and finish is what you would expect. No complaints at all. Looking forward to shooting it more! I imagine eventually I will have the slide milled for an SRO. 

So in a side by side. If you knew what you know now. Would you still get the DWX???

2 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

So in a side by side. If you knew what you know now. Would you still get the DWX???

That's tough. I guess it depends on your goals with it. I imagine it would make a great LO gun after a little work.   For now I'll use mine to shoot some pin matches with, as well as a little steel challenge. I have ZERO issues with either of my shadow 2's but I rarely shoot the orange. The OR model is my C/O gun and impresses me more every time I shoot it. I'm going to sell my S2 orange and keep the dwx for sure. In the near future I will probably send the barrel to patriot defense as well as order the ignition kit from CGW when they release it.

So I heard back from CZC, $365 for a full action/trigger job with a trigger pull between 2-2.5lb, and $180 for an optic. I need to pick up another SRO first and then I'm probably going to send this out. Really debating if I want to have it milled for an optic or not. 

42 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

So I heard back from CZC, $365 for a full action/trigger job with a trigger pull between 2-2.5lb, and $180 for an optic. I need to pick up another SRO first and then I'm probably going to send this out. Really debating if I want to have it milled for an optic or not. 

they do great work. I totally understand your hesitation cutting  the slide LOL I actually got a second slide just for that for my shadow. cannot do that yet with DWX.  but I am sure with time 

On 4/6/2023 at 10:18 AM, ColoradoNick said:

Can anyone confirm this takes a 1911 ignition kit? Based on the hammer/sear/disconnect on the DWX being 1911 I would

assume so?

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Browse-by-Manufacturer/EGW/-Trigger-Group/EGW-Ignition-Kit-Trigger-Kit

Yes, but I'd clip the little dog leg off the side of the sear spring leg of the leaf spring. Just makes it last longer. 

I am doing a trigger job on a buddies DWX and used the standard EGW Trigger Kit (Sear, Hammer, Disconnector, Sear Spring, Hammer Spring) and everything in that kit worked just as it would for a normal 1911/2011. The trigger job turned out great except for not being able to adjust the Pre/Over travel using the stock DWX Trigger Bow.

Here is my Question for the DWX experts, does a standard 2011 Trigger Shoe/Bow setup work in the DWX? I didn't have an extra one laying around to test it out. The back portion of the trigger bow looks like it is shorter top to bottom than a standard 2011 Trigger bow and given that the bow is riding in a completely different frame (vs a 2011 style frame) the width of the bow is probably different as well. I can't confirm for sure since I don't have a standard trigger bow to compare it to. If a Standard 2011 Trigger Bow doesn't work, does anyone make an aftermarket trigger bow which has Pre/Over travel adjustments?

The other thing that confuses me about the stock DWX trigger shoe is that the back side of the trigger shoe is threaded for a set screw where the over travel screw would go in a standard 1911/2011 trigger shoe, but the screw hole doesn't go all the way out to the front of the shoe. The threads look 5-40 to me and I guess you could put a set screw in there threading in from the back side of the shoe. But then you would have to take the gun totally apart to adjust the over travel set screw. That is mega dumb if it was intentionally designed like that.

I apologize up front if this Trigger Bow question has already been answered in this thread. If it has please point me to the post. I don't have time to wade through the current 55 pages of posts to dig for the answer. Thanks in advance to all of the DWX Experts willing to help!!!

Edited by CHA-LEE

23 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I am doing a trigger job on a buddies DWX and used the standard EGW Trigger Kit (Sear, Hammer, Disconnector, Sear Spring, Hammer Spring) and everything in that kit worked just as it would for a normal 1911/2011. The trigger job turned out great except for not being able to adjust the Pre/Over travel using the stock DWX Trigger Bow.

Here is my Question for the DWX experts, does a standard 2011 Trigger Shoe/Bow setup work in the DWX? I didn't have an extra one laying around to test it out. The back portion of the trigger bow looks like it is shorter top to bottom than a standard 2011 Trigger bow and given that the bow is riding in a completely different frame (vs a 2011 style frame) the width of the bow is probably different as well. I can't confirm for sure since I don't have a standard trigger bow to compare it to. If a Standard 2011 Trigger Bow doesn't work, does anyone make an aftermarket trigger bow which has Pre/Over travel adjustments?

The other thing that confuses me about the stock DWX trigger shoe is that the back side of the trigger shoe is threaded for a set screw where the over travel screw would go in a standard 1911/2011 trigger shoe, but the screw hole doesn't go all the way out to the front of the shoe. The threads look 5-40 to me and I guess you could put a set screw in there threading in from the back side of the shoe. But then you would have to take the gun totally apart to adjust the over travel set screw. That is mega dumb if it was intentionally designed like that.

I apologize up front if this Trigger Bow question has already been answered in this thread. If it has please point me to the post. I don't have time to wade through the current 55 pages of posts to dig for the answer. Thanks in advance to all of the DWX Experts willing to help!!!

Trigger bow is proprietary and there isnt enough space in the grip modules for a 2011 bow. The shoe is threaded from the rear. No need to take the firearm completely apart to adjust it a set screw though. Just remove the mag catch (super quick), adjust, and reinstall mag catch to confirm adjustment. You should be able to fit an Allen key from up top or through the side if you just take off a grip panel alternately. 

23 hours ago, Ajohnson15 said:

On 4/14/2023 at 9:43 PM, CHA-LEE said:

D

May I ask the part number for the egw kit?  Did it work well?

Thanks

On 4/15/2023 at 7:40 PM, Ajohnson15 said:

Trigger bow is proprietary and there isnt enough space in the grip modules for a 2011 bow. The shoe is threaded from the rear. No need to take the firearm completely apart to adjust it a set screw though. Just remove the mag catch (super quick), adjust, and reinstall mag catch to confirm adjustment. You should be able to fit an Allen key from up top or through the side if you just take off a grip panel alternately. 

Not being familiar with 1911’s/2011’s this might be a solution for over travel but not pre travel? My DWX doesn’t have very much over travel if any (that I can tell) but I’d like to remove some pre travel. Might not be any other option until someone works something out aftermarket?

5 minutes ago, Nobody909 said:

Who do yall recommend for getting the DWX milled for an SRO? Also, what kind of holster cross compatibly does it have? 

The Ghost Hydra p+ for CZ is almost perfect. It sticks just a hair on the plastic ball that functions as the lock on the draw. Lock functions fine. If I was only using it for the DWX I’m sure I could sand it down a bit. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

7 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

The Ghost Hydra p+ for CZ is almost perfect. It sticks just a hair on the plastic ball that functions as the lock on the draw. Lock functions fine. If I was only using it for the DWX I’m sure I could sand it down a bit. 

Awesome. Ill give that one a look.  If I ran a light on it, Would you get a holster for a 2011 or S2?