Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

1 hour ago, eerw said:

Thought it was a Novak cut

???

edit:

just asked.

.330 x .075 x 65 degree

That’s standard Novak right?  I bought a couple of Dawson Novak cut sights.  I didn’t think they looked right.  Might just need some fitting 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this thing have a firing pin block? Verifiable by picture (s).

To be clear, a firing pin stop is typically a small metal part that only physically blocks the forward movement of the firing pin. It does not necessarily block the firing pin from moving in other ways, such as being struck by an external force. A firing pin block, on the other hand, is designed to physically block the firing pin from moving in any direction until the trigger is pulled, making it a more reliable safety mechanism.

In some firearms, the firing pin stop and firing pin block can be integrated into one part, but they perform different functions. It is important to note that the firing pin stop is mainly used to prevent the firing pin from moving forward in the event of an accidental discharge. The firing pin block, on the other hand, is used to prevent the firearm from firing if the trigger is not pulled, such as if the gun is dropped or bumped.

If there is no block, why get one? A toy? As a comp gun it doesn't fit much, as a concealed carry item it can be bump fired without a block. I just finished reading the whole thread here on these issues, took an hour, and I think it was closed too quickly with not enough tests of MULTIPLE factory/oem/unmolested units.

If there is an update on the drop fire/ bump fire issue and it has been resolved in the last 2-3 years I am open to this as a CCW. However I would like data. The staccato folk claim, 

https://www.police1.com/police-products/firearms/articles/meet-staccatos-first-entry-into-the-law-enforcement-duty-gun-market-TV7jGicCEEmjtTkS/

"Q. The Staccato P doesn't have any sort of active firing pin block or safety. Are you using a lightweight titanium firing pin to help ensure the pistol won't fire if dropped? 

It is not necessary, as the P has passed every drop test at all the major departments that have tested and approved our guns. The use of firing pin blocks like the Colt Series 80, Kimber style, etc., cause more problems and malfunctions."

1911 Purists are saying that they prefer the series 70 and just replace firing pin spring with a heavier one to make it more safe when dropped. The new Colt 1911 models now are mostly reverting back to the classic series 70 design.

I am personally not knowledgeable or experienced enough to know if changing out for a heavier firing pin spring makes it more drop safe.

Another argument that it doesn't matter that there is no firing pin block is from the 1911 guys.

https://sightm1911.com/lib/tech/inertial_discharge.htm

Edited by PhilosopherKing

9 hours ago, PhilosopherKing said:

Does this thing have a firing pin block? Verifiable by picture (s).

To be clear, a firing pin stop is typically a small metal part that only physically blocks the forward movement of the firing pin. It does not necessarily block the firing pin from moving in other ways, such as being struck by an external force. A firing pin block, on the other hand, is designed to physically block the firing pin from moving in any direction until the trigger is pulled, making it a more reliable safety mechanism.

In some firearms, the firing pin stop and firing pin block can be integrated into one part, but they perform different functions. It is important to note that the firing pin stop is mainly used to prevent the firing pin from moving forward in the event of an accidental discharge. The firing pin block, on the other hand, is used to prevent the firearm from firing if the trigger is not pulled, such as if the gun is dropped or bumped.

If there is no block, why get one? A toy? As a comp gun it doesn't fit much, as a concealed carry item it can be bump fired without a block. I just finished reading the whole thread here on these issues, took an hour, and I think it was closed too quickly with not enough tests of MULTIPLE factory/oem/unmolested units.

If there is an update on the drop fire/ bump fire issue and it has been resolved in the last 2-3 years I am open to this as a CCW. However I would like data. The staccato folk claim, 

https://www.police1.com/police-products/firearms/articles/meet-staccatos-first-entry-into-the-law-enforcement-duty-gun-market-TV7jGicCEEmjtTkS/

"Q. The Staccato P doesn't have any sort of active firing pin block or safety. Are you using a lightweight titanium firing pin to help ensure the pistol won't fire if dropped? 

It is not necessary, as the P has passed every drop test at all the major departments that have tested and approved our guns. The use of firing pin blocks like the Colt Series 80, Kimber style, etc., cause more problems and malfunctions."

1911 Purists are saying that they prefer the series 70 and just replace firing pin spring with a heavier one to make it more safe when dropped. The new Colt 1911 models now are mostly reverting back to the classic series 70 design.

I am personally not knowledgeable or experienced enough to know if changing out for a heavier firing pin spring makes it more drop safe.

Another argument that it doesn't matter that there is no firing pin block is from the 1911 guys.

https://sightm1911.com/lib/tech/inertial_discharge.htm

What are you talking about? "Resolved in the last 2-3 years"? You realize this gun just came to market less than a month ago, right? And that thousands of people compete with non-firing pin block guns every year. 1911's, 2011's, Shadows, TS's, TSO's, Czechmates etc?

Edited by moose97

1 hour ago, moose97 said:

What are you talking about? "Resolved in the last 2-3 years"? You realize this gun just came to market less than a month ago, right? And that thousands of people compete with non-firing pin block guns every year. 1911'2, 2011's, Shadows, TS's, TSO's, Czechmates too?

I realize this is about the DWX.

Because this is another CZ essentially with no firing pin block, that could have this issue. The thread mentioned is 2-3 years old now.

On my SP-01 I cannot engage the safety unless the hammer is pulled all the way back. 

I am think that the amswer to this issue/concern relating to all cz non-firing pin block pistols (and possibly all) is two fold.

It may be that CZ intends the pistol to be carried cocked and locked, regardless if there is one in the chamber.

If you cant put the saftey on unless it is cocked. It seams to me then, if you have a larger saftey to make it easier to learn to rest your thumb on it during firing. It would then become muscle memory to immediately turn off the saftey when firing. If putting back in the holster manually cocking it all the way then locking the saftey, the issue of drop firing becomes non-existent.

If you are the person that is very worried about this, and you are still set on the pistol, in this case the DWX; then one could experiment with heavier and heavier springs until it isn't an issue with a hammer hit primer test. Then test to make sure the preferred ammunition will fire reliably.

I am getting ahead of this as a possible concern.

People right now are so enamored with the DWX they aren't seeing the big picture. I am an INTJ, I tend to see problems and attempt to solve them before they occure.

3 minutes ago, PhilosopherKing said:

I tend to see problems and attempt to solve them before they occure.

What part of "thousands of people compete with non-firing pin block guns" did you skip over? Thousands CCW 1911's. I think you are overstating the problem. 

50 minutes ago, moose97 said:

What part of "thousands of people compete with non-firing pin block guns" did you skip over? Thousands CCW 1911's. I think you are overstating the problem. 

You are basically responding with a personality bias. Lets not stay there lets stay unemotional and non-biased with the best attempt to stay wholey logical without fallacy.

Doing a quick search engine search with multiple engines, there are a lot of people talking about the issues of ccw with a pistol that is non-firing pin blocked.

The point of this statement is hopefully for the mods and most experienced in the group to make comments in response to preemptively alleviate any negativity in regards to the DWX not having a firing pin block for those that wish to ccw a full size, again specifically the DWX in this case.

I had to hide some bickering. Review the forum guidelines, such as:

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

4 hours ago, PhilosopherKing said:

It may be that CZ intends the pistol to be carried cocked and locked, regardless if there is one in the chamber.

If you cant put the saftey on unless it is cocked. It seams to me then, if you have a larger saftey to make it easier to learn to rest your thumb on it during firing. It would then become muscle memory to immediately turn off the saftey when firing. If putting back in the holster manually cocking it all the way then locking the saftey, the issue of drop firing becomes non-existent.

The issue you reference with the Shadows not being drop safe is only really an issue because the USPSA rules require that Double Action guns without a decocker have the hammer manually lowered all the way in certain divisions (Production/Carry Optics), which rests the hammer on the firing pin. Someone carrying a similar gun in the real world would either have the hammer at half cock or fully cocked with the safety on, both of which are drop safe.

The DWX is a single action only pistol, so the rules for DA/SA don't apply. CZ definitely intends for it to be carried loaded with the hammer cocked and safety on, just like all other SAO pistols in the market. Yes, you could manually lower the hammer all the way down on a loaded round and not apply the safety, but there's no practical reason to do that with a SAO pistol, it's the worst of both worlds; if you don't want to carry cocked and locked then carry it with an empty chamber. 

Your concern about muscle memory with the safety is going to fall on deaf ears with the BEnos audience since this is a competition oriented forum and holstering with the safety on is a requirement for loaded SAO guns and everyone shooting SAOs is used to flipping the safety off after the draw. 

"Your concern about muscle memory with the safety is going to fall on deaf ears with the BEnos audience since this is a competition oriented forum and holstering with the safety on is a requirement for loaded SAO guns and everyone shooting SAOs is used to flipping the safety off after the draw."

This is not actually a concern. You are actually making my point. The way you're describing it is the way I was attempting to describe it. I think we're saying the same thing but with a different way that's all.

My only other comment would be to this that yes this is competition oriented however this is still on the internet. There are people that might come to this forum that might not understand that when doing a search for their particular firearm.

18 hours ago, jripper said:

That’s standard Novak right?  I bought a couple of Dawson Novak cut sights.  I didn’t think they looked right.  Might just need some fitting 

I put a Dawson .090 front sight on today. Novak cut. Required a fair amount of fitting. The stock sight seemed to be fit very well.  The sight picture, for me, is greatly improved.  I also changed the sear spring out.  Got the trigger to 3.5 lbs.  the only complaint I have is the fact that the beaver tail is fixed and the hammer/sear are in a sub assemble make it a bit harder to adjust the sear spring.  

6 hours ago, PhilosopherKing said:

I realize this is about the DWX.

Because this is another CZ essentially with no firing pin block, that could have this issue. The thread mentioned is 2-3 years old now.

On my SP-01 I cannot engage the safety unless the hammer is pulled all the way back. 

I am think that the amswer to this issue/concern relating to all cz non-firing pin block pistols (and possibly all) is two fold.

If you are the person that is very worried about this, and you are still set on the pistol, in this case the DWX; then one could experiment with heavier and heavier springs until it isn't an issue with a hammer hit primer test. Then test to make sure the preferred ammunition will fire reliably.

I am getting ahead of this as a possible concern.

People right now are so enamored with the DWX they aren't seeing the big picture. I am an INTJ, I tend to see problems and attempt to solve them before they occure.

If we are going to be nuanced, comparing this to a cz model without a firing pin block is inaccurate. The ignition system uses 1911 components and dimensioning for the firing pin channel itself. 

You may accurately compare the model to 70 series 1911s and 2011s. The stock spring on the model is an extra power. 

Edited by Ajohnson15

I got to shoot mine today and I'm in love with this gun!!

It's the first gun that I've ever shot which didn't need the sights adjust for me at all.  25yds was fun and all were centered.  It's cold so it wasn't the best group but I'm extremely happy with it and have added the 40 S&W version to my "must buy" list when I have the funds.

As far as the "soft" thumb safety goes on my gun it appears to have remedied itself during the course of me firing ~100rds through the gun as it's now very distinct and I'm not feeling the need to send it in to be looked at currently.  I'll keep an eye on it on my next range trip but I'm happy to see that it appears to be mostly (if not completely) resolved as I really didn't want to send it in.

In short I love this gun and it'll be the last handgun I ever sell.

2 minutes ago, PhilosopherKing said:

Anything you can test it against for accuracy?

Not that would be in the same league as my next most expensive handgun is a Kimber Pro Raptor II. 

I’m also far from being a good handgun shooter.  I was just ecstatic that all 10 shots were in the center of the target and ~2” group at 12yds the first time I shot it. 

On 1/14/2023 at 2:54 PM, eerw said:

The guys finished up playing with one of our DWX guns so we could pack it up and take it to SHOT Show.

Starting to see what can be added to such a fun platform. 

Did some slide lightening. sorry, didnt weigh it.

Cut a comp into the thicker part of the barrel to actually get a chamber and not just holes in the barrel. works really well.

Cut for the SRO.

Made a magwell that blends better than the CZ factory well does.

Drilled and tapped mag release for paddle

Installed a new hammer and did trigger job, set at 2# right now.

No pricing on the work yet.

But if in Vegas, come on by the CZ Custom booth and check it out.

74950666_webDWXCZC_DSC4816.thumb.jpg.7e1fcf8c830b959f08abc7497b2ddc19.jpg

1056325580_webDWXCZC_DSC4821.jpg.39ca8a7e6cb1259d31ecd572a2d3d343.jpg

So when does SAO will be legal in CO? or we are waiting on Limited CO?

2 hours ago, Pitt Bull said:

I just got my DWX.  Fit and Finish is great, But it has a 4.5 pound trigger.  Does anyone know who can do a good trigger job on it?

Also thanks to all who answered my previous question about the holster.

Got my Red Hill holster and love it.

@eerw who told you about the Red Hill Tactical holster also indicated that CZ Custom is going to be doing trigger work on the DWX...

12 hours ago, Pitt Bull said:

Also thanks to all who answered my previous question about the holster.

Got my Red Hill holster and love it.

I have a few of them they do do a very  good job . 

25 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Rumor was the compact and optics ready Verison weren’t  at shotshow. 
anybody have info on this ?

only the standard 92001 model is at SHOT

Compact and OR modes not here