Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surface rust starting question

lfine

I may have surface rust starting in the magwell of one of my guns where it was ground to blend and feed better. What’s the best way to treat this and then keep it from coming back? Thanks. 

16 hours ago, HI5-O said:

I use fine bronze wool and Kroil to remove  surface rust. Bronze wool is gentler on gun finishes. 

If it's rusting where he ground the magwell, there's no finish to be gentle with.

Either way, 0000 steel wool is fine to use on bluing and most other gun finishes, including barrel bores to remove lead. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 5:31 PM, 920webb said:

I had better luck with this than cold blue .

That stuff is cold blue. 

Cold blue does almost nothing for rust prevention; it's just cosmetic. The rust prevention comes from the oil on the surface. 

16 hours ago, nikdanja said:

4 odd steel wool and oil. Lightly scrub the area and make sure it’s oiled. Then birch wood Casey makes a bluing pen. If you want to go that route, just dab some of that on and call it a day. 

Never oil before applying cold blue. That doesn't work so well!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Naval jelly (home depot) removes rust (and bluing!!!). You can do a hot bluing with the recipe below. Adjust quantities and keep ratios. I’ve done it before and it worked very well, just use a stainless bowl over an outdoor stove and keep aluminum away. Use proper personal protection equipment to stay safe (fumes, heat, eye hazard). The lye (sodium hydroxide) heats up a lot when you add it in so do it slowly. Add DI water as needed to keep boiling temperature around 290F. Have a boiling container of water nearby to rinse the part in and get ALL of the salts off the part. After use, the bluing mixture is reusable but solidified into a weird solid/goop until reheated again. You can get the lye as drain cleaner and potassium/ammonium nitrate as stump remover at a hardware store

“5 pounds lye
2 1/2 pounds ammonium nitrate
per gallon of water

working temperature 285-295 degrees, soak 15-40 minutes depending on the hardness of the steel.
Have lots of ventilation when adding the ammonium nitrate as considerable ammonia fumes result”

Edited by Benevolence