Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean shot by Lovex

bigboy69

Hello: I have used about 4 lbs of it so far. Softer shooting than Tite Group and cleaner. It is pretty close to the drop of Tite Group. It is the same from batch to batch unlike N320. Only thing is it is reverse temp sensitive so as it gets hotter it goes slower. I have used it in my PCC's and also my Carry Optics pistols. I have used it with coated, plated and jacketed bullets and the accuracy is good. The only bad part I have found is it is cheaper than the other powders so I am using more of it. Thanks, Eric

17 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have used about 4 lbs of it so far. Softer shooting than Tite Group and cleaner. It is pretty close to the drop of Tite Group. It is the same from batch to batch unlike N320. Only thing is it is reverse temp sensitive so as it gets hotter it goes slower. I have used it in my PCC's and also my Carry Optics pistols. I have used it with coated, plated and jacketed bullets and the accuracy is good. The only bad part I have found is it is cheaper than the other powders so I am using more of it. Thanks, Eric

So since it is reverse sensitive, In the summer when it's hot, do you load more powder to adjust??

Hello: I chrono for the gun I am shooting and the temperature I will be shooting at. So yes you need to add a little more powder when it is 90 plus degrees here in Georgia compared to 40 degrees. About 0.2 grains depending on the gun. All powders I have used and tried have needed an adjustment for temperature to make sure they are legal in the division you are shooting. Also check your chrono against one at a big match. I am not sure how electronics like 140+ degrees in a coffin box at major matches🤔 Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I chrono for the gun I am shooting and the temperature I will be shooting at. So yes you need to add a little more powder when it is 90 plus degrees here in Georgia compared to 40 degrees. About 0.2 grains depending on the gun. All powders I have used and tried have needed an adjustment for temperature to make sure they are legal in the division you are shooting. Also check your chrono against one at a big match. I am not sure how electronics like 140+ degrees in a coffin box at major matches🤔 Thanks, Eric

Maybe I'll just use this lb up that I bought and be done with it.

Hello: If you test some of the other powders you will find that they change as well. I like Clean Shot since it very consistent batch to batch. I had a batch of N320 that was 30 fps slower than the previous batch. Tite Group gets slower as it gets colder. Another thing with Clean Shot is the cost being lower than most of the other 9mm powders. The chrono will tell you what you need to know. Thanks, Eric

4 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: If you test some of the other powders you will find that they change as well. I like Clean Shot since it very consistent batch to batch. I had a batch of N320 that was 30 fps slower than the previous batch. Tite Group gets slower as it gets colder. Another thing with Clean Shot is the cost being lower than most of the other 9mm powders. The chrono will tell you what you need to know. Thanks, Eric

I've been using CFE pistol, and liking it. I can shoot steel with it and make major.  So thats one benefit to the CFE.  The clean shot sounded interesting and I'd figure I'd give it a try.

On 10/1/2019 at 12:10 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

How much difference do you see in FPS when its really hot out?  I dont know how much of a difference it would make for steel.

Hello: I shot some of my 124 loads this mourning but did not chrono them. I also shot some of my 135 grain loads with Tite Group and they both felt about the same. So that tells me Clean Shot is softer shooting. If you are shooting steel I don't think the difference will matter. I shot some 30 yard off hand shots to see where it shoots and I could hold a 5" group with coated bullets. That is good for me since I am not a bullseye type shooter. That is with a Sig P320 X5 with a Holosun 507C at around 85 degrees. If I get a chance I will chrono again next week by putting some in a cooler with ice, some in the sun and some just in the shade. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I have seen great benefits to clean shot, cheap,clean and consistent. It's very easy to build off of for load data. I have ran it for 2 years in both prod and limited shooting coated bullets around 30k. I noticed less than 100fps between 115° and 50°. Slower when it's hot but not enough to matter if loaded 10 pf over what you need for minor or major. Works great with coated bullets best I've tried so far.

-Doug

12 hours ago, dirty5thirty said:

Same burn rate at titegroup but softer like n320

Thanks, I dug a bit on the web site and they gave quite a spread from Titegroup to Win 231. I've moved  away from Titegroup (with coated bullets) because of fouling so with the upper end spread noted I think I'd be a bit leery of Clean Shot under coated bullets.

5 minutes ago, dirty5thirty said:

The smoke is very low nothing like titegroup, even though the birntates ate similar. They are night and. day different as long as you don't over crimp and  rin one of the more popular coated bullets. Like gallant, blues or sns.

Thanks, I'm running Gallants and Precision so that should be good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 10:04 PM, Bench said:

Where does Clean Shot fit in a burn rate chart?

It's pretty much if not exactly the same as AA2 if you see it on the burn charts. It is a tiny bit slower than Titegroup. It takes 0.1-2gr more to make the same velocity. No issues with Hi-Tek, Blue Bullets coating, or powder coat.

55 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

It's pretty much if not exactly the same as AA2 if you see it on the burn charts. It is a tiny bit slower than Titegroup. It takes 0.1-2gr more to make the same velocity. No issues with Hi-Tek, Blue Bullets coating, or powder coat.

Thanks. Looks like it's very close to HP-38 also...at least by the burn chart I've been using. Switched to HP-38 from TG recently since it's readily available in my area.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:23 AM, bigboy69 said:

So since it is reverse sensitive, In the summer when it's hot, do you load more powder to adjust??

Reverse temp sensitivity is a GOOD thing. 👍

(Unless you truly enjoy running a chrono on the coldest days of the year!)

I prefer reverse-sensitive powders because I never have to mess with a chrono in winter weather: If I chronograph my ammo and find that I make PF in the heat of summer, I’m certainly going to pass chrono when I pick up a few additional points shooting a major match up North in November. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Clean shot is great powder, very similar to titegroup I. Every way but it's much cleaner. I use 3.2 grains qith a 145 grain dgbullet in my 9mm g34 and I make a 140 power factor. I also us major pistol in my 9mm major rounds in a glock 34 open gu. that I just built. I'm using 9.6 grains to make a 175 power factor with a 124 grain dgbullet. Major pistol is almost identical to aa7 in every way but once again major is much cleaner.