Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge vs Outlaw Steel Matches - Poll

Hoops

Prefer Steel Challenge or Outlaw Steel Matches   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which match type would you prefer if there was only one choice? This poll will not make names public. Thank you

• Steel Challenge Matches
    • Outlaw Steel Matches

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2019 at 06:08 AM

Zack, outlaw match has no resemblance at all to Steel Challenge.  Outlaw (ours) Stages have from 10 to 40 targets....Texas Star, spinners, poppers and plate rack, etc.

in this poll, Steel Challenge would be an official Tier 1 match with all classifiers vs outlaw meaning dropping off a load of targets per stage in random order and count.  Completely different.

Thanks

Zack, we have several outlaw matches.  We are discussing a Steel Challenge format so our shooters can shoot official stages without having to drive distances to find official matches.  Plus we think it would be a good draw for more shooter attendance.

I didn't vote because I want to say both. I go to a few different ranges for steel challenge. Two of the clubs do 6 stages, four of them official stages and two outlaw. The outlaw stages are not like you described they are still 5 plates with a stop plate just like a normal steel challenge stage but they are just randomly arranged. Sometimes they will even use different kinds of plates like the Tombstone and bigger circles like 16inch.

It breaks up the repetitiveness of the same eight stages every match yet still gives you 4 official stage times. 

Club I liked in Vegas did 4 officially, with 2 outlaw like you describe. Basically an all steel USPSA COF. Thing is it all counted as 1 match so the whole thing was unofficial. If you want scores to count run 2 seperate matches and ppl get best of both. It hurts/helps the 22 ppl to shoot stars so the old club didn't have anyone shoot those pee shooters.

For those who like outlaw and steel challenge,  consider for this poll that there is one match each, equal distance, on the same day.  Which match would you choose to go to?  Steel Challenge with official classifiers and scores uploaded to USPSA, or the Outlaw match with random target stages for essentially just the fun factor and no credit towards classifications.   Thank you for your time and input.  It will be interesting to see the final outcome of this poll.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:25 PM, Hoops said:

This poll is intended to give us input as we consider types of steel matches at our local range.  Thank you for your assistance.

The poll closes tonight after midnight.  I appreciate those who have already voted and hope we can get a few more tonight before closing.  So far an official steel challenge match is well ahead of an outlaw, random target match.  

On 9/22/2019 at 10:04 AM, ziebart said:

Club I liked in Vegas did 4 officially, with 2 outlaw like you describe. Basically an all steel USPSA COF. Thing is it all counted as 1 match so the whole thing was unofficial. If you want scores to count run 2 seperate matches and ppl get best of both. It hurts/helps the 22 ppl to shoot stars so the old club didn't have anyone shoot those pee shooters.

You can run non-official stages mixed in with SCSA Steel Challenge classifiers and still have the SCSA classifiers count... 

We do it every month.

10 hours ago, Hoops said:

Which match would you choose to go to?  Steel Challenge with official classifiers and scores uploaded to USPSA, or the Outlaw match with random target stages for fun

I'd probably mix it up. Or go to the one that was run better, had something else to do in that town. Classifiers don't mean that much to me.

As of now, 42 members have voted.  Thank you.  I hope by poll closing tonight that we can be over 50 so that we have as good of a sampling as possible.  I will post a final comment tomorrow morning.  Vote please.  Very much appreciated.

I shoot a outlaw steel match locally and it's a lot of fun. Really legit or outlaw would be fine with me. Real SC doesn't offer me anything the outlaw match doesn't.

Outlaw match = 30 min drive each way

local SC club = 2 hours ea. way

outlaw = 4 stages done around 11 or 12

SC = 6 stages done early to mid afternoon

outlaw = center-fire only

SC = mostly rim-fire

outlaw = $5

SC = $20

I voted Steel Challenge. But, I understand why clubs would do Outlaw matches. For example, I have a local club who does a Thursday night outlaw steel match. The only reason they don't do Steel Challenge is based on space. They just don't have the bay depth to support it. I also think if we had more Area Directors who supported Steel Challenge and encouraged their clubs to support it, there would be more places to shoot. 

The poll has closed.  The final results:  Steel Challenge Matches 72.34% and Outlaw Steel Matches 27.66%.   Thank you for participating.  The poll along with comments provided good information and points of view across the country.  Happy shooting......be safe.