Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super vs 38 sc

MJinPA

I have a bunch I’ve collected over the years that I plan on selling at some point. My question is...does it need to be sorted for the buyer or is it interchangeable? I can’t see any difference in the case besides headstamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, when reloading, sometimes the SC brass will pull through the shell plate used for 38S on the sizing station.

Yes. Sounds like I’ll have to sort [emoji22]This must be why 38 super shooters walk around looking like they lost a contact lens after shooting a stage.

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Also, when reloading, sometimes the SC brass will pull through the shell plate used for 38S on the sizing station.

This happened to me and the case got stuck in the sizing die. Ended up getting the correct shell plate and a new sizing die because the sizing die carbide ring separated from the sizing die whe I tried to punch the stuck case out. LOL

55 minutes ago, ParaGunner said:

This happened to me and the case got stuck in the sizing die. Ended up getting the correct shell plate and a new sizing die because the sizing die carbide ring separated from the sizing die whe I tried to punch the stuck case out. LOL

38super uses a 9mm plate, I believe that 38SC uses a 223 plate.

Field-expedient way to tell .38 Super from .38SC brass--- find a fired .40 S&W case and try to stuff the suspect .38 case in base-first.  A .38 SC rim will fit, a 38 Super won't.

Once you get the hang of it, you can just slide your thumb over the rim and tell them apart.

Field-expedient way to tell .38 Super from .38SC brass--- find a fired .40 S&W case and try to stuff the suspect .38 case in base-first.  A .38 SC rim will fit, a 38 Super won't.

Once you get the hang of it, you can just slide your thumb over the rim and tell them apart.

This tip was super helpful! I have 500 (+a handful) of SC and only about 25 Super. I’m going to post the SC in the classifieds if anyone that helped out here is interested.

Internal capacity is slightly less for the Super Comp, extractor groove is also different. If your gun is set up specifically for 38Super Comp, 38Super brass MAY cause a change in pint of impact, may not feed up under the extractor cleanly and cause a FTF.

Set a pistol up properly and it will shoot both well enough. My own personal handguns will work on both, but are more accurate on 38Super as that is the majority of the brass I use and how I set up for.