Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame fracture STI 2011 DVC

jimbullet

Yes, I would contact STI.  That is not normal. I've never seen that in that location. They should correct it no matter where you currently reside.  Was the gun purchased new or was the frame bought and used for a 2011 build?

2 hours ago, jwhittin said:

Yes, I would contact STI.  That is not normal. I've never seen that in that location. They should correct it no matter where you currently reside.  Was the gun purchased new or was the frame bought and used for a 2011 build?

bought new -- no mods

On 9/15/2019 at 4:00 AM, jimbullet said:

less than 5k rounds, should I be worried about this?

Any suggestions if this is repairable as dont think warranty claim is an option when I am outside of the US.

frame.jpg

Call STI , you received new frame 100%

13 hours ago, jimbullet said:

Are you a gunsmith?

Just wanting an opinion whether there is a risk that this blows up in my hand and sends shrapnel and kaboom while shooting?

Highly unlikely it's going to come apart in your hand.  But if that is a crack, it's just going to get worse with time/use.  So best to have it addressed now.  Unfortunately, from what STI has become, this isn't surprising.  Chances are they'll replace the gun with a new one as they seem to do that quite often.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 1:00 PM, jimbullet said:

less than 5k rounds, should I be worried about this?

Any suggestions if this is repairable as dont think warranty claim is an option when I am outside of the US.

frame.jpg

If you dont get answer from STI you could be weldering the crack with laser welder. It will works in this zone. However go to a gunsmith and make check the gun its seems like the hold open works badly.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, ltdmstr said:

Highly unlikely it's going to come apart in your hand.  But if that is a crack, it's just going to get worse with time/use.  So best to have it addressed now.  Unfortunately, from what STI has become, this isn't surprising.  Chances are they'll replace the gun with a new one as they seem to do that quite often.

That is not the first cracked STI frame I've seen. I also know a couple of shooters who are still awaiting resolution... including one who was only using his 9mm  gun for Minor in Steel Challenge, and couldn't have had more than 4K rounds through it.

1 hour ago, GOF said:

That is not the first cracked STI frame I've seen. I also know a couple of shooters who are still awaiting resolution... including one who was only using his 9mm  gun for Minor in Steel Challenge, and couldn't have had more than 4K rounds through it.

🙉🙉🙉

A nightmare for such a famous company.

10 hours ago, yigal said:

I looked at the picture at magnification and I still believe it is not a crack. But only a professional examination can confirm it.

one thing is for sure, it wasnt there the last 3 years as I clean the gun regularly. Compared it with my older STI Edge and none same markings.

I was thinking could I have missed this as a tool mark but the line is not straight and wobbly plus running a swab over it, feels like there is a sharp edge on it.