Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame fracture STI 2011 DVC

jimbullet

4 hours ago, GOF said:

That is not the first cracked STI frame I've seen. I also know a couple of shooters who are still awaiting resolution... including one who was only using his 9mm  gun for Minor in Steel Challenge, and couldn't have had more than 4K rounds through it.

Sounds like a loooong wait then...😧

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 7:07 AM, Blurryvisions said:

i wish i hadn't seen this post.  now i have to go inspect my guns... is that safe to shoot? makes me a little nervous.

well I have been shooting it and so far I still have my fingers 😉 

Im not sure if it will last long - still waiting for STI dealer....

• 4 weeks later...

I know a fellow shooter and this has happened three times with his STI.  He has sent it back each time and they have either replaced the frame.  Or twice they replaced the whole gun.  He is not shooting STIs anymore and has moved up to a better quality open gun.  Each time it took a minimum of two to three months for the return.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:43 AM, yigal said:

what have u done ?🙉 after your post 

STI Discontinuing the DVC-L  

😉

I've contacted the STI dealer here. We are organizing to get the pistol to them and for their in-house gunsmith to have a look closely to form an opinion if it is a genuine crack or what they alleged could be a blemish stress (?)  

After several weeks now.....it has taken this long a waaaaiiit.....just to let it be seen and to make a judgement on what to do.

4 hours ago, jimbullet said:

I've contacted the STI dealer here. We are organizing to get the pistol to them and for their in-house gunsmith to have a look closely to form an opinion if it is a genuine crack or what they alleged could be a blemish stress (?)  

After several weeks now.....it has taken this long a waaaaiiit.....just to let it be seen and to make a judgement on what to do.

i hope all O.K. and this only rough  machining  marks and not a crack.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, 920webb said:

I would Contact STI directly . A frame is a frame even if they discontinued the DVC they can still replace the frame . 

+1! It's their gun. They should stand behind it.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:46 AM, yigal said:

i hope all O.K. and this only rough  machining  marks and not a crack.

Its a long shot that its rough machining because I inspected the gun when new (2-3 years ago) and being my second 2011 pistol, I made close scrutiny of its difference to my older STI Edge and that line in there was not there at all before.

Anyway will see what the local dealer says and does.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update - The dealer took the gun in, had it inspected by an authorized local STI gunsmith and the findings was that it was not a cracked frame. They said that there appears to be a burr on the barrel lower lug area that was in time scraping on the side wall and with some thousands of rounds have now created the line mark and was told that it was a perfect line and rising near the slide stop hole where exactly the barrel was also rising back into battery.

They are fixing the burr, the tidying up the side wall before returning to me early in the new year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, RogueTactical said:

Kind of hard to tell if its a burr or a crack based on the picture. Glad it wasn't a crack afterall!

As a person who makes high-level guns 👍and is familiar with the  frame  manufacturing process, you can notice that this is the quality of production and finishing at STI that burr is very typical of some of their guns.😉

u can enlarge the pic.

maybe one day i will be lucky and will order a gun from u.👍

Edited by yigal