Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 mags

xjwalt666

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 7:58 AM, superlifer03 said:

I use Dawson and Brownells with Dawson No Gap basespads in a Range Officer and Dan Wesson PM-9.  They work great, except a pain in the ass to unload by hand.  Tripps don't work in my guns. 

Is there a trick to getting them to unload by hand? I can not get my Dawsons to do it.

I’m running the Wilson ETM mags and they are working very well for me. I just shot a match Sunday and didn’t clean any of the mags all day. This was in some fairly powdery “salt and pepper” dirt too and they fed like they were supposed to all day.

I just purchased a Dawson mag as well for my barney/last mag on the belt and haven’t ran it yet in a match but seems to work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/16/2019 at 8:58 AM, andyivan said:

Is there a trick to getting them to unload by hand? I can not get my Dawsons to do it.

One way to unload them is to smack the front edge of the magazine against a wooden table top.  With the right wrist action it dislodges the top bullet and does no harm to the magazine.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, andyivan said:

Lula loader or push round forward and pry the nose up.  Once you get a couple out it gets easier.  also, if your springs are new, it is really a pain in the ass. 

On 8/27/2019 at 5:51 PM, tbarker13 said:

For me, it has always been Dawson. I find them easier to seat than the Tripps or Wilson when loaded to 10.

And, at least in my experiences, the Tripps do not fall free during reloads unless they are essentially empty. It's easy to see why if you look at the way the mags are cut at the top - the Tripp has a deeper cut than the Dawsons, allowing the second bullet down to be pushed forward just enough to make the mag hang up - and not drop free.

Not a big deal if you are going to use it for IDPA, where most of your reloads would be at slide lock. For USPSA, I found the Tripps to be unusable.

This is the exact issue I was running into. 5 or more rounds in the Tripp mags and they would not drop free due to the top round sliding forward. I switched to Brownells (same as Dawson, but black) and I don't have the issue of dropping free with rounds in the mag now.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:55 PM, cindynles said:

This is the exact issue I was running into. 5 or more rounds in the Tripp mags and they would not drop free due to the top round sliding forward. I switched to Brownells (same as Dawson, but black) and I don't have the issue of dropping free with rounds in the mag now.

Interesting. Didn't realized the Dawson's and Brownells were the same.

I'm running three different brands of magazines in my 9mm SV's. Wilson mags are my match mags and have been 100% reliable since day one.
Only thing I had to do was to cut two coils off the springs for them to be seated with 10 rounds.
Dawson and Metalforms are my training mags. I had to tighten the feed lips on them because it was too wide. I occasionaly had one live round jumping off the mag when ejecting the fired case.

And for unloading those mags , I designed and Angus Hobdell made this very nice tool which can also open beer bottles 
https://czcustom.com/9mm-1911-ammo-stripper.html