Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 mags

xjwalt666

I'm going to be getting a new 1911 in the next few weeks and heard that the mags that come with it kind of suck. What are a good out of the box mag to get? I've been looking at the dawson 10 round mags. Anyone have any input on them?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, GunBugBit said:

I have had good luck with the Dawson 10-rounders, the Wilsons and probably the favorite of quite a few: the Tripp Research.  The only kind I can readily remove the top couple of rounds from with ease is the Tripp Research.

yep, I use tripp overall

I have 3 Dawsons I use If I know I have to do a short reload, meaning only shoot a few rounds and dump the mag and reload.

Cause only in dryfire the tripps loose a round from the top when I do a dump with 7-9 rounds in them.

It's never happened in live fire.

Ok I'm not really worried about losing rounds or doing drills or courses with a few shots and a mag change. Going to primarily be for steel shoots for iron sight gun. Most clubs I shoot irons are limited to 10 rounds where I am everywhere else I shoot open with no mag limits.

I really like the Dawson mags. I've never had a malfunction with one and they will even run if you drop them in sand. It is pretty difficult to unload a full mag by hand, but it gets easier with practice. 

I think I might go with Tripp. Seems like that's the one so far. I remember a friend of mine used the Dawsons and ended up having them be able to go in too far and broke his ejector a couple times.

I have used the Dawson's and found them utterly reliable.  I shoot Single Stack only occasionally though.  I did find that CDNN has Zenith Magazines for 14.99.   For that price they might be worth a try.  They appear to be a copy of the Metalform magazine which is what I think Dawson is.  The lone Zenith 9mm I have, has been reliable.    They all hand cycle empty brass but that may be because I have a super fancy Citadel 1911.  

For me, it has always been Dawson. I find them easier to seat than the Tripps or Wilson when loaded to 10.

And, at least in my experiences, the Tripps do not fall free during reloads unless they are essentially empty. It's easy to see why if you look at the way the mags are cut at the top - the Tripp has a deeper cut than the Dawsons, allowing the second bullet down to be pushed forward just enough to make the mag hang up - and not drop free.

Not a big deal if you are going to use it for IDPA, where most of your reloads would be at slide lock. For USPSA, I found the Tripps to be unusable.

For me, it has always been Dawson. I find them easier to seat than the Tripps or Wilson when loaded to 10.
And, at least in my experiences, the Tripps do not fall free during reloads unless they are essentially empty. It's easy to see why if you look at the way the mags are cut at the top - the Tripp has a deeper cut than the Dawsons, allowing the second bullet down to be pushed forward just enough to make the mag hang up - and not drop free.
Not a big deal if you are going to use it for IDPA, where most of your reloads would be at slide lock. For USPSA, I found the Tripps to be unusable.

Thanks for your input. I guess I'm going to do some more research before I buy. Just want to do it right the first time rather than spend more money than I want to on mags.

1 hour ago, xjwalt666 said:

Thanks for your input. I guess I'm going to do some more research before I buy. Just want to do it right the first time rather than spend more money than I want to on mags.

Try buying one of each that you are considering and test them.

Colt 1991A1 and SA Mix Master A 9mms.

One each of current type Wilson ETM and Wilson/McCormick Range Pro are working well.

I like and have a number of the previous CMC XP magazines, no longer made. 

I have several Tripp Cobramags.  As said, they are prone to strip a round coming out of the mag pouch or the gun.  So I use them for LAMR where they feed well,  and reload with a CMC.

I have a number of the first generation Metalforms.  They were ok to start with but got troublesome.  Mine now have assorted different followers and springs and are usable for practice and minor matches.   

I don't have Dawson, Brownell, or Mecgar. 

I probably have 20 mags from Tripp in 40 and 9mm.

I have had on two of his mags not work in my SV.  I sent them back with dykem marking.  They work great in my Tripp SS and STI Trojan.

His service is great.

The people I shoot with all use Tripp for their 9mm.