Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Glock PCC Metal Mags

On 8/7/2019 at 1:31 AM, thermobollocks said:

I don't get why they would make a tube, and extensions for the tube. Why not make the tube 40 or 50 rounds long, and just have that be the magazine?

To sell you two items.

• 5 months later...
On 8/4/2019 at 9:18 PM, Mx556 said:

I don’t know if anybody has posted on this yet found this on Facebook today ...

anybody have further information ?

6431F07F-1005-4703-9155-A7BA7A88C5D6.jpeg

8019883D-BF92-4CCB-83A4-31740822832C.jpeg

30F94DBF-AF28-4245-A74A-1B8B080C8DC6.jpeg  I don’t really love their long basepads. They have sharp edges and I’ve seen a bunch of them explode.  But I would love to have their metal mags for the PCC.  I always have issues with the feed lips bending and whatnot. I’ll be waiting to buy a few of the metal Glock mags. 

18 minutes ago, Jts2581 said:
On 8/4/2019 at 8:18 PM, Mx556 said:

I don’t know if anybody has posted on this yet found this on Facebook today ...

anybody have further information ?

6431F07F-1005-4703-9155-A7BA7A88C5D6.jpeg

8019883D-BF92-4CCB-83A4-31740822832C.jpeg

30F94DBF-AF28-4245-A74A-1B8B080C8DC6.jpeg  I don’t really love their long basepads. They have sharp edges and I’ve seen a bunch of them explode.  But I would love to have their metal mags for the PCC.  I always have issues with the feed lips bending and whatnot. I’ll be waiting to buy a few of the metal Glock mags. 

go to mbx’s Instagram or Facebook 

They're live on the website finally.

The most odd thing I noticed is that a 170mm magazine with a standard basepad is $157 but a 170mm with with their 7" extension is only $20 more. Maybe it's because these extensions are specifically for their steel glock mags and not to be used on polymer ones so cost is different, idk.

Their 170mm mag with the 7" extension will get you about 56 rounds AT $177 while the 140mm mag with the 7" extension will get you 50 rounds at $160. So there isn't a totally massive difference in round count and you're looking a price swing of about $15-20 between them so it's not awful I suppose.

You can get 56-57 rounds with an OEM 30rd Glock mag + Tacccom extension which is pretty good and reliable in my experience  All for $100 give or take.

The need to change your mag catch to metal further adds to the price burden to the MBX.

To take your observation another path, I am not sure what the benefit a metal mag has for a division with no magazine limits.  I always thought that a 'thin walled' full metal Glock mag theoretically has the advantage of increasing capacity within the same footprint/dimensional limitations.  MBX succeeds here in adding +1 round to a 140mm mag, if that extra round is worth the price to you in Limited division.

Perhaps this design has another hidden feature?  If it changes the lead bullet's presentation height, or presentation angle as it feeds the round into the chamber (which MBX alludes to), and if it reliably allows you to feed bullet profiles previously you were not able to - re: JHP in a non-JP lower - then I can see the benefit, most definitely.

Apart from some new trick, the OEM Glock mag with its reliability, affordability, and ease of availability, a competitor really needs to bring something revolutionary to the table.  Only in my own personal experience, even The Magpul Glock mags, which threatened to undercut Glock's price point did not really seem to replace the OEM Glock mag demand after the initial launch excitement.

All in all looking forward to see if the MBX really brings something new to the PCC platform.

Edited by Sniperboy

I know from running a Glock mag pcc that I had several mags be made unusable due to damage the metal mag catch in the gun did to the glock factory mag catch notches. I often wanted a metal mag body to use in the pcc, would have saved me money in the long run due to not having to replace mags due to damage.

Yesterday, I bought a 170 with a 3” extension from shooters connection. The extensions do indeed seem to be made just for the steel tube, and are marked as such with “steel”. I went to the range with it, and ran 200 rounds through it with no problems. One of the guys at shooters has 300ish through one, with no problems. I bought one to try, just because they seem easier/quicker to reload the gun. I’ll report back if I have any problems. They are pricey, but are beefy, and I plan to grab another soon. 

Edited by Apexer