Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Glock PCC Metal Mags

3 minutes ago, Bwillis said:

@Mx556No release date set and no price point discussed, the gold follower mag holds 28 reloadable, the others are 42 and 48. The big stick was said to hold 66. 

Thanks , I searched here and found no conversation about these that surprises me...

Edited by Mx556

I would pass on the MBX extensions for Glock. I’ve got a Mega extension, and it’s fairly precarious with the extension only being held on by the lips of the basepad. 

Highly recommend the Taylor Freelance Goliath on top of the OEM 33 round sticks; rock solid and extremely stiff/durable. 

23 hours ago, mtruong said:

I would pass on the MBX extensions for Glock. I’ve got a Mega extension, and it’s fairly precarious with the extension only being held on by the lips of the basepad. 

Highly recommend the Taylor Freelance Goliath on top of the OEM 33 round sticks; rock solid and extremely stiff/durable. 

Runs like a champ .....

54165B54-97D2-466B-B564-1C72E6379330.jpeg

Edited by Mx556

Just spent a summer in south Texas heat with glock mags left in my car. No deformation. I'm curious about these but at 24 bucks off the shelf anywhere I treat glock mags as almost disposable. 

As a glock team person told me once, "we're not known for our mags".

But as someone noted, no buzz about them. Must be reason/s why.

Edited by rowdyb
6 hours ago, Bwillis said:

Not deform in heat like plastic Glock mags that’s the biggest plus. Bullets won’t nose dive and crack the front of the mag like with glock mags. I have 4-5 Glock mag bodies that are trash from being in my car and warping. Also the feeding angle is better. The mbx mags bodies are heat treated and will last forever just change the spring and follower as needed. 

I find it hard to believe you personally experienced a GLOCK-brand-GLOCK magazine deform with heat. I haven't. Perhaps you're confused with ETS mags. I've left GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags out in the beating Texas sun then run a stage in a GMR after several shooters had just run the same stage and had flawless cycling. My mags sit in my car for days in Texas when I don't feel like unloading the car. The only things that wear out are springs. like my MBX extensions just fine. I also like TTI and TF.

This sounds like nonsense to push $100 vapor mags when there's a proven reliable design available for $25. Change my mind. 

bwillis.png

5 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I find it hard to believe you personally experienced a GLOCK-brand-GLOCK magazine deform with heat. I haven't. Perhaps you're confused with ETS mags. I've left GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags out in the beating Texas sun then run a stage in a GMR after several shooters had just run the same stage and had flawless cycling. My mags sit in my car for days in Texas when I don't feel like unloading the car. The only things that wear out are springs. like my MBX extensions just fine. I also like TTI and TF.

This sounds like nonsense to push $100 vapor mags when there's a proven reliable design available for $25. Change my mind. 

bwillis.png

This, I have run my genuine Glock mags with MBX, Taylor, Dawson, & TTI extensions on my pistols and PCC's for years in the hot Texas sun without any problems. Once in awhile I have cleaned up the tops/side due to scratches and replaced springs every couple of years. Thousands of rounds. Really don't see a need for metal mags, but MBX does make great products.

gerritm

I've owned 6 mbx mags for .40 guns. They were great at 140 bucks a piece. 

My glock mags left in the car were my pistol and pcc ones. All with any of 3 different tti basepads and extensions. 

So I've used mbx mags in an atlas and two sti frames. And I've used glock mags in 4 pistols and 1 pcc. 

Anecdotes aren't evidence. For either side.

My only dog in this fight is the feed lips. I've had to change the tube that wears my MBX extension before because the factory Glock feed lips had worn down enough that it was not feeding reliably. The feed lips were presenting the rounds at a higher than normal angle, and were causing mis-feeds and double feeds. I changed the tube out, problem solved. That original tube had roughly 4000 round through it. I tend to run one main mag that wears the MBX extension, then cycle out the reload mags. If having one MBX mag with steel feed lips as my main tube, and the one that gets the majority of the use, keeps me from having to replace the tube once a year, I could see that being a win. 

In other news, I'm also waiting for XProducts to finally release their Glock drum mag, that may end up being the direction I go. 

I’m hoping they don’t swell when loaded to capacity as much or at all. My Glock, ETS, Magpul, SGM mags, basically all of them swell when at capacity to the point that I have a lot of trouble with unloaded starts and the mags hanging up during mag changes. I’ve had to have my mags machined down to fit and they will still hang up unless I download the mags a fair bit.

15 hours ago, bishop414 said:

I see your warm Texas and raise you Arizona.  My mags have been in the car for multiple summers and function fine, to the point I use them for SD and games.

You win. I'm not about that 125 F life. Although I am jealous of your lack of humidity for powder consistency. 

I guess I got lucky. I've been using the same GLOCK mag bodies since 2016. The Glock pistol guys say I should have plenty of life left in them so I'll just keep changing springs and see how they turn out. 

I always download my reload mags and unloaded start mags. That's a function of how much space is available for the bullet column to compress when pressed against a bolt in the case of the PCC. This is common practice in pistol as well and of course the 223 AR guys have done this for decades. 18 rounds in a 20 rounder for example. Hell, my first 3 gun match I thought i was a clever boy jamming 31 rounds in a PMAG. That was a lesson that stuck with me. 

I think these are still in testing with MBX Team shooters. That's why you haven't seen much on them yet. They're not listed for sale yet on the MBX site or their retailers.

I've heard people switch to the ETS mags because they hold the round a little higher in relation to the bore and promote better feeding. Perhaps the metal mags would do the same in a more durable material.

One complaint I've seen from people who have put large extended mags to hard use, is the extension can break off. The Glock 33rd mag bodies are plastic for the last 1" or so of the mag and most extensions only grasp the thin plastic lip of the magazine. A hard bump can and has sent mags flying apart. A metal mag body would possibly fix this issue.

43 minutes ago, MustangGreg66 said:

I think these are still in testing with MBX Team shooters. That's why you haven't seen much on them yet. They're not listed for sale yet on the MBX site or their retailers.

I've heard people switch to the ETS mags because they hold the round a little higher in relation to the bore and promote better feeding. Perhaps the metal mags would do the same in a more durable material.

One complaint I've seen from people who have put large extended mags to hard use, is the extension can break off. The Glock 33rd mag bodies are plastic for the last 1" or so of the mag and most extensions only grasp the thin plastic lip of the magazine. A hard bump can and has sent mags flying apart. A metal mag body would possibly fix this issue.

The MBX extensions are held on by the thin plastic lip, and aren't very stable. I have the Mega extension, and wouldn't trust it in a match after seeing a number of them explode in major matches. 

The Taylor Freelance Goliath is much more solid, and extends about 1-1.5" up the mag body; there's zero play, and with an OEM 33-round mag, absolutely rock solid. 

15 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I’m hoping they don’t swell when loaded to capacity as much or at all. My Glock, ETS, Magpul, SGM mags, basically all of them swell when at capacity to the point that I have a lot of trouble with unloaded starts and the mags hanging up during mag changes. I’ve had to have my mags machined down to fit and they will still hang up unless I download the mags a fair bit.

This is why I would look forward to metal magazine bodies for the Glock.  All of my Glock brand magazines go in easily until you start putting rounds in them, then they swell and take a lot of effort to seat...