Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack division questions.

champ198

So I have shot USPSA before but it was in Production with a P320. haven't shot a match for around 2 years and am wanting to get back into it. I no longer have the P320 or really anything to shoot Production with. But I do have 2 Single Stack guns that would work. I have a Kimber Custom Tactical II and a Sig Sauer P220 both in 45 ACP so I would be in Major Power Factor.

I will have to get a bit of gear for either that I choose. such as Holster and mag pouches.

Question that I am wondering as far as a beginner to shoot this division which of the 2 guns mentioned would you shoot. I shoot my Kimber a bit better and it has a much better trigger. the thing I am not sure with is the load and ready position from the start. I know it has to have Hammer down, but with the Kimber it is not a DA style trigger like my P220 is. how much of a disadvantage would this be? at least with the P220 I could load and make ready then decock the hammer and still have a DA shot first up. or am I just overthinking it being a beginner.

So I have shot USPSA before but it was in Production with a P320. haven't shot a match for around 2 years and am wanting to get back into it. I no longer have the P320 or really anything to shoot Production with. But I do have 2 Single Stack guns that would work. I have a Kimber Custom Tactical II and a Sig Sauer P220 both in 45 ACP so I would be in Major Power Factor.

I will have to get a bit of gear for either that I choose. such as Holster and mag pouches.

Question that I am wondering as far as a beginner to shoot this division which of the 2 guns mentioned would you shoot. I shoot my Kimber a bit better and it has a much better trigger. the thing I am not sure with is the load and ready position from the start. I know it has to have Hammer down, but with the Kimber it is not a DA style trigger like my P220 is. how much of a disadvantage would this be? at least with the P220 I could load and make ready then decock the hammer and still have a DA shot first up. or am I just overthinking it being a beginner.

The Kimber you will be shooting in single stack major but the Sig is not single stack legal although it uses a single stack mag.

Compete the Kimber as I've seen a couple range buddies do very well with them. Start position is cocked and locked with thumb safety engaged.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

thank you very much that was what I was wanting to be sure of.
I could if I wanted shoot the Sig 220 in Production though but not really the best due to mag capacity. correct?
production scores minor regardless of caliber so yea I wouldn't advise it especially with 8 round mags. Single stack is a fun division though. You'll be able to push the speed with major power factor just have to stage plan in 8s instead 10s.

26 minutes ago, Elcidaviator said:

Buy tons of mags for all the reloads!  

Definitely a fun division.  Makes you think like one of the wheel gun guys and really puts an emphasis on stage planning and making your shots count.

Actually, a little better than wheelies as you get 8+1 so with the Barney, you get 1 make-up a COF.

I would look at the DAA magazine pouches, they release a lot smoother than others I have used for single stack. As far as holsters go, I would look at Red Hill Tactical or a Long Shadow. The Red Hill is thicker but both will keep the gun secure, are built really well, and draw smoothly. I also recommend the Boss hanger. It might seem like a lot of money at $50 but it is the best piece of gear I've ever bought. It keeps the gun securely in place and you can adjust how far it is from your body with the spacers, it really helps with consistent draws. 

2 hours ago, tdp88 said:

I would look at the DAA magazine pouches, they release a lot smoother than others I have used for single stack. As far as holsters go, I would look at Red Hill Tactical or a Long Shadow. The Red Hill is thicker but both will keep the gun secure, are built really well, and draw smoothly. I also recommend the Boss hanger. It might seem like a lot of money at $50 but it is the best piece of gear I've ever bought. It keeps the gun securely in place and you can adjust how far it is from your body with the spacers, it really helps with consistent draws. 

Hard to go wrong with the Red Hill holster and Boss Hangar (or a similar holder). I'd also look at adding 6 mag pouches. You might get by with 5 (though unloaded starts could be rough), but obviously there are few things worse than running out of ammo on a challenging stage that requires a lot of reloads. You really don't want to have to plan reloads based on the number of mags you have on your belt.

so for single stack devision. is 6 the max amount of mags and mag pouches you are allowed?

no you can have as many as you like. mags just can't be in front of hip bone. so basically 9 o'clock position and back. more mags is more weight to run around with. 6 mags with one in the gun is usually more them enough for a uspsa legal stage

1 hour ago, champ198 said:

so for single stack devision. is 6 the max amount of mags and mag pouches you are allowed?

Six is sufficient with 8 round mags.  People generally only wear 5 if they have a 10 round gun.

I have six pouches on my SS rig and do the barney load juggle at Make Ready.  I also have six pouches on my Production rig, but that last pouch just gets stuffed by an 11 round mag for a simpler Make Ready.  I think this is a little excessive, but it gives me comfort on the rare unloaded start stage, and I have accidentally pulled two magazines out of their pouches in a reload on occasion.

I am just starting out and have an Area 4 match next week...

7ea DAA single stack pouches, Bladetec Holster, BOSS hanger. .45acp Springfield RO shooting 230gr for Major, ICE magwell, extended button mag release, Dawson USPSA basepads on CMC Powermags.  Once more experience is gained I will start shedding mags to lighten the load.  

I use six pouches with my minor setup. I can't ever remember needing the sixth mag. Even the fifth is a rarity - though as mentioned, the unloaded starts can makes things a bit more tight. I like the idea of being able to engage one or two targets and do a reload - without having to worry about how that's going to affect my stage plan. It's also nice to have backup ammo - just in case you lose a loaded mag while running around on a stage. Crazy stuff can happen out there. Spending a few dollars on one more pouch than you think you'll need is pretty cheap insurance.

Perhaps as a guide, determine how many shooting positions or array are in the stage.  Most stage designers use 8 round max per array/positions (see rule book). However some will use 4-6 shots arrays or per position. So 6 round array for 32 round COF could mean 6 mags. You really don’t want to do standing reloads. Every time you move from one position to another you probably want to do a reload. 

You our might want to have the number of mags equal to the number of arrays/positions plus 1. The plus 1 could be your Barney round mag.  You can always put it in your back pocket for insurance. 

Actually, a little better than wheelies as you get 8+1 so with the Barney, you get 1 make-up a COF.
I shoot both. The extra round in the chamber makes a huge difference in the ease of shooting a stage. Having a makeup shoot in the gun allows you to push a little more.

My SS pistol is a Kimber Custom Competition II, and I had to get the barrel converted to a bushing style since bull barrels are not legal in SS. Tuned the extractor to stop awful stovepipe issues, but the gun runs flawless now. Your Kimber will do fine for you. I carry six mags plus the Barney mag in my back pocket. There is always that chance you grab a reload mag and it goes flying onto the COF filling up with sand and dirt........

I prefer the SS/L10 divisions, but as I get older, the targets seem further and further away. Shooting CO now, but mix it up with SS, and even go down to the SS Desert Classic in Mesa. 

Of course, Mother Luck got us this year, left MT in Feb to get away from the snow and cold and enjoy the sun in Mesa, and it snowed and was cold in Mesa. Took no winter clothing or gloves. Darn it gets cold in the desert.