Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going Short Colt - stainless or blued TK moons?

matteekay

Hey all,

Finally making the jump to SC. I've been using Federal 38 Special brass up until now with the corresponding TK Custom moons; previous experience with Starline's groove tells me that I'm going to need a new set of moon clips to use their brass.

TK sells the Starline-specific stainless moon clips, obviously, but they also offer blued moons that they say will fit several brands (including Starline). Has anyone tried out the latter with 38SC? Do they work well? It would be awesome to have one set that will work with both my Special and Short Colt brass.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I've used the stainless and they work fine in my gun.  I've also had the blue and can't tell the difference..  Get the right ones for your brass, call and ask Tom for the ones that will fit Starline the best.  

What kind of moon clip holders do you have? Stainless clips don't work well with magnetic moon clip holders. Depending on the type of stainless they may have a little stick on a magnet but not enough for any hard charging.

9 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

What kind of moon clip holders do you have? Stainless clips don't work well with magnetic moon clip holders. Depending on the type of stainless they may have a little stick on a magnet but not enough for any hard charging.

TK’s stainless work well with magnets. They made sure they did. 

Years ago I had a friend make me a bunch of stainless clips and they didn’t do so well with magnets because they didn’t have enough iron.

4 minutes ago, MWP said:

TK’s stainless work well with magnets. They made sure they did. 

Years ago I had a friend make me a bunch of stainless clips and they didn’t do so well with magnets because they didn’t have enough iron.

The stainless ones I used were from way back (since I'm old). Glad to see they changed the blend they were using for stainless. I littered the ground with moon clips with the first stainless ones I tried with magnets.

What [mention=49105]MWP[/mention] said. I personally love the blued TKs with Starline short colt but the fit is probably too loose for the top shooters. At my skill level they fit great for a modest price. 
That's a good idea - I'll see if they can send me one of each. Similarly, moons aren't what prevent me from cracking B-class, lol.

Moon clip server and a few RSC posts, so any of the clips should work (though I get a little nervous about putting the thinner clips under tension on the server).

I'd go with the tightest fit moon clips, all my starline 38 brass (.357 Magnum, 38 Special and 38 Short Colt) work with the stainless tight fit moon clips.

I have 100+ of them and they are thicker and less likely to get bent, but when they do harder to straighten though.  I have 10 of the blued looser fit moon clips, I don't like using them in competition just for practice and even then they are a bit trickier to de-moon (the rounds slip back into the clip and sometimes require a prying thumb to loosen.

5 hours ago, matteekay said:

Moon clip server and a few RSC posts, so any of the clips should work (though I get a little nervous about putting the thinner clips under tension on the server).

So long as you have enough posts to cover you when they have an "all ammo starts on table" start. If you only had the server it would be bad.

When ammo, primer and powder was hard to find, Starline was the only brass available.  The 38 Special and 38 short colt brass from Starline needed a moon clip of about 0.040 thick to hold on firmly.  The groove in the brass was so large.  Many folks bought that then set the cylinder and barrel back to fit the thicker moon clips.  The guns became Starline only.  That was OK since that was all you could buy.

Since about 2017 Starline brass has a groove that loves the 0.025 think moon clips.  Just like Remington and Federal.  No need for special moon clips for Starline brass.

Anybody want samples PM me.

Tim Norris of Pan Pacific made all my S&W 627 and Taurus 608 8 shot full moon clips of .022 EDM'd steel in 1996 & 1997 that I am still shooting with today. I believe Pan Pacific was a Company in Southern California and I learned of them from my Gunsmith, Mike Gurule who was with The Old Gun Shop (TOGS) Minimum purchases were 100 at a time but these were also much less than those sold today....

12 hours ago, matteekay said:

That's a good idea - I'll see if they can send me one of each. Similarly, moons aren't what prevent me from cracking B-class, lol.

It won’t hurt though. It seems I see a lot of A-C class shooters with gear that could be better with a little help.