Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate with Holosun 510c!!

JDIllon

On 11/1/2019 at 1:58 PM, regor said:

I did hear back from them and it sounds like they are putting development for the CM on hold. They told me the OEM mount can be modified to make it work... and sent me photos of your setup for reference hahaha. 

What tools did you need to make the modifications? I'm guessing a mill unless you sand off the lugs in which case probably just a drill press

Do you have to drill it in a place that interferes with the original CMore screw holes or can you leave them so you can switch back?

I wish CZ would just go to the 5 hole pattern so it would be compatible with 2011 mounts and thumb 

Edited by GeorgeH
Error on my comment

On 11/1/2019 at 1:58 PM, regor said:

I did hear back from them and it sounds like they are putting development for the CM on hold. They told me the OEM mount can be modified to make it work... and sent me photos of your setup for reference hahaha. 

What tools did you need to make the modifications? I'm guessing a mill unless you sand off the lugs in which case probably just a drill press

Do you have to drill it in a place that interferes with the original CMore screw holes or can you leave them so you can switch back?

I wish CZ would just go to the 5 hole pattern so it would be compatible with 2011 mounts and thumb rests.  

@JDIllon is the one that helped me on how to mount the 510c.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Timido said:

So the only thing you have locating the sight to the stock mount are the screws?  Do the Blocks on the bottom of the 510 locate it to the original mount along with the screws?

If you want the blocks on the bottom of the 510 to locate it. You would have to machine those slots into the mount. Which you can do if you use the Tevo blast shield for a pattern. JD 

5 minutes ago, JDIllon said:

If you want the blocks on the bottom of the 510 to locate it. You would have to machine those slots into the mount. Which you can do if you use the Tevo blast shield for a pattern. JD 

Thanks.   I think I have a riser somewhere for the 510 maybe I can make a pattern out of .  The blast shield is currently out of stock

3 minutes ago, Timido said:

Thanks.   I think I have a riser somewhere for the 510 maybe I can make a pattern out of .  The blast shield is currently out of stock

It’s not a big deal to make a pattern from the bottom of the sight. I wanted the blast shield, so I used it. JD 

@Timido, I have a .svg (and .dxf) file I made for the footprint, if you want it. We have a mini CNC at work that I found out can take aluminum, so I’ve been fiddling with the design to get something that works.

I’m waiting on some Aluminum stock and some extended endmills to make a final test piece before I cut my mount, but the plywood piece I cut fits, although the countersinks need to be a bit wider to fit the Tevo screw heads. Picture below. The cutouts for the lugs look weird because I didn’t have a 1/16” endmill to do the corner cuts so I needed a little bit of filing to get the lugs to fit in. 

A35005B8-4713-4C57-94A5-07DACA720242.jpeg

On a different note, does anyone know what screw size these use? I can’t find it listed anywhere, and Holosun wouldn’t tell me. All I know is that they thread into a 8-32 nut nicely, but an 8-32 screw is too large for the holes and a 6-32 is too skinny. 7-32 doesn’t exist, so I assume it’s some metric thread that’s close. Maybe M4x.7?

1A445258-EEB6-4892-AA82-5C7E78255ECB.jpeg

I have always been hesitant on the 510C due to its weight. It weighs over 8oz,! In all honesty, do you feel the trade off is worth it? Bigger is not always better. Back in the mid nineties, I used a Tasco PDP4 which was a 40mm red dot site. It was nicknamed the 'pop can'. C-more killed it when it came out with their Serendepity (I think that is what it was called), in that shooters opted for the tubeless lighter site. It seems to be going in reverse now. 8oz......YIKES!

No one is really running them with the shroud and taking that off loses a bunch of weight. I got used to the weight pretty quickly on my open guns. The window size and ease of acquiring the dot is worth it. 

14 hours ago, echotango said:

Sig XL is similar is glass size without the bulk/weight and ejection issues(for 9). 

I agree, definitely the way to go! When I looked at upgrading my RTS2, this model was in the development stage and I was hesitant on waiting. I looked at the 510C, but did not like the weight, plus I wanted a site with a SUPER bright red dot, as I was shooting a match in bright sunlight and had issues finding my dot due to the sunlight on my RTS2. I opted for the FTP Alpha 3 with a 8MOA dot.. It is bigger than the RTS2, and have no issues finding that dot in the brightest sunlight. There was also not much size difference from the 6moa, but the intensity was a huge difference, where the ONLY time I need to have the dot on max brightness is when in direct sunlight. I am glad of my purchase, however, there are times I think that I should have waited for the Sig Romeo 3XL due to its lifetime warranty and larger window, although large windows have no relevance if you cannot see the dot in bright sunlight, and the XL only comes in 6MOA.

Edited by abb1

Without the shroud the 510c weighs 4oz, Slideride is listed as 3.0, and Romeo 3 XL is 1.5, so if you want weight savings the Xl is clearly the way to go, but it’s also 2x the price. For the CM you can add a tiny bit more weight and get a much bigger window.

You could chop the extra 1” of material on the back of the mount and probably bring the weight gain down to <0.5oz (although you would be chopping off the back mounting hole for the Slideride). 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally in the club!

I weighed everything out and at the end of the day this is only .3oz heavier (with hood removed) than the Slide Ride with much wider glass. 

No ejection issues with the little bit of overhang on the right side, though that might be an issue if you try to mount it any further back (you could go about 1cm further back before you have to remove the forward steel threaded insert for the CMore). I did find that I very nearly bottomed out in the adjustment when zeroing, although one of my friends with a 510c on an Atlas said the same thing, so maybe that’s just the way these work. 

B6BC19D2-5E22-4735-B0D1-33FF101841B4.jpeg

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, dogtired said:

Necro post resurrection.  Are those using the 510c 2 years ago still using that optic?  Thoughts after 2+ years?

No, I switched to Romeo 3XLs. The height and width of the lens is almost identical to the 510c and it is much lighter and sits lower. The lens on the 510c is more rectangular so the total lens area is smaller on the XL but it's out at the corners so it's not really noticeable. It's still a good optic and much cheaper than the R3XL, but I've never been tempted to switch back.