Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new Glock 17, Gen 5, what's first?

twister

Try the sights, some of my buddies love them. If you find yourself having a difficult time shooting it accurately, after a while, you might look into a better trigger, Johnny  Glock and Vanek are two I’ve had experience with and they’re both a huge improvement. You can add a grip plug weight if you’d like a little help with the recoil. Hope this helps. 

Sights for sure. $80 Grip tape for grip $18. TTI grand master spring and connector kit $48. Grip plug $5. Your choice of guide rod and spring $40. To me, $175 then you're totally done.

other than guide rod, which is up in the air for ipsc, everything i said lets you shoot ssp in idpa, prod in uspsa, prod in ipsc, prod in steel challenge. my gen 5 g17 is build to give me the most freedom. why i did grip tape versus carbide. why i run a ss guide rod versus a tungsten one. why my mag release is stock. why i have internal spring changes but not the actual trigger/bar.

I never noticed the MOS doesn’t have the cut out in the front. I’ve got a gen 5 34 and love mine, a lot of time spent getting it where I want it but definitely cheaper than CZ and other guns to work on.  I just can’t wait till they really start pumpin our aftermarket parts like they did for the gen 3

Edited by Rpope423

Dawson, TTI, or Vogel sights are the only upgrade that is essential. The only other one i would recommend at all would be a guide rod with a 13lb spring. You can do triggers and all the other goodies but you will be throwing your money away. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but it wont enhance your performance. For other gear I would look at either a redhill or long shadow holster with boss hanger and double alpha racer mag pouches. I put a lot of money into a 34 and ended up selling everything and going back to basically stock other than sights and it made absolutely no difference other than it was more reliable stock. 

I started my 17 out with 200 rounds of hot ammo.  Then a RSA.  Glockmeister makes a SS recoil assembly with an 11lbs spring.  Then adjustable LPA sights.  Ultimately put in a DK Custom trigger kit.  The thing shoots awesomely!  I'm about to add a 34 slide to it with all the goody slide parts using the same frame.  It's fun!

On 6/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, rowdyb said:

Sights for sure. $80 Grip tape for grip $18. TTI grand master spring and connector kit $48. Grip plug $5. Your choice of guide rod and spring $40. To me, $175 then you're totally done.

What grip tape and grip plug?

second vote for Talon on grip tape. grip plug idk.. i just like one that fits flush with no steps and it held in by a button/friction. if it has a tool or any sharp edge i don't want it. i currently have NDZ in mine.

Edited by rowdyb

• 3 weeks later...