Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911, is it ok for idpa?

twister

• 3 months later...

I don't see how 10+1 wouldn't be better anyway. Maybe i have been told wrong but seems to me you could shoot your 5 double tap targets and have one in the chamber and do a tactical reload but you don't need to retain the mag because it is empty so let it hit the dirt and keep rolling. And you have an extra round for the shot you drop. If someone has better info on this subject please fill me in. I've only shot 5 or so matches so far. 

44 minutes ago, tylerradke said:

I don't see how 10+1 wouldn't be better anyway. Maybe i have been told wrong but seems to me you could shoot your 5 double tap targets and have one in the chamber and do a tactical reload but you don't need to retain the mag because it is empty so let it hit the dirt and keep rolling. And you have an extra round for the shot you drop. If someone has better info on this subject please fill me in. I've only shot 5 or so matches so far. 

If the gun has a round in the chamber you can't drop an empty mag... at least that is my current understanding... whether it will be valid next week is anyone's guess.. It has to be retained. On an empty chamber/slide lock reload you can drop an empty mag. 9+1 seems to have an advantage on some stages, and a disadvantage on others (steel activator moving targets, etc.) Since round dumping is now legal, shooters have a lot more latitude as to when&where they make a slide lock reload.

I say shoot what you shoot best... and, more importantly, what works reliably. Clearing a malf takes a lot more time than making a slide lock reload (ask me how I know.. LOL)

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 9:44 PM, BHBret said:

Mike Seeklander won Nationals last year in ESP and the whole match with one.

Does anyone know which make gun he was using, double or single stack?  Also, 9 or 10 round mags??

Thanks.

On 5/27/2019 at 9:44 PM, BHBret said:

Mike Seeklander won Nationals last year in ESP and the whole match with one.

OOps, sorry for the double.

Edited by WxGuy

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the 10+1 vs 9+1 is a bigger deal in USPSA then in IDPA. The advantage is almost always in relationship to steel targets and USPSA uses a lot more of them. When CDP can regularly win HOA in State and Regional matches with 8+1(and a lot more recoil) that kind of kills the argument. Is more ammo better, almost always. Is that extra round going to keep you from winning, no. Lack of talent or practice will but not an extra round in the magazine. 

• 4 weeks later...

since the round dumping rule went bye bye, so did the 9+1 loadout advantage. And there's always a chance of steel..that may require that 11th round anyway.

Edited by jdlincoln

1 hour ago, Paul-the new guy said:

I had a 9mm 1911, an STI Trojan, I had to run an aluminum guide rod and hollow out the VZ grips to make weight. 

trojan_zps80a5f522.JPG

Wow!  That weight surprised me!  I have a Wilson Combat 5" 1911 in .45 caliber.  It has no full length guide rod.  The grips are G10 DualTec grips with a Techwell nickel plated "IPSC Carry" magwell,  With an empty  Dawson Precision 10-round magazine inserted, the weight is 42.6 ounces, just under the 43.0 ounce weight limit for ESP Division in IDPA.

31 minutes ago, 45 Raven said:

Wow!  That weight surprised me!  I have a Wilson Combat 5" 1911 in .45 caliber.  It has no full length guide rod.  The grips are G10 DualTec grips with a Techwell nickel plated "IPSC Carry" magwell,  With an empty  Dawson Precision 10-round magazine inserted, the weight is 42.6 ounces, just under the 43.0 ounce weight limit for ESP Division in IDPA.

The 9mm barrel is heavier. I didn't have to do anything at all for my .45 Trojan to make weight. 

On 12/10/2019 at 2:00 PM, Paul-the new guy said:

The 9mm barrel is heavier. I didn't have to do anything at all for my .45 Trojan to make weight. 

Well, I am embarrassed to say this, but my Wilson Combat is a 9mm, not a .45.  (Hence the mention of a 10-round magazine).  Don't know why I said .45 in my original post!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am running a DW PM9 now as well. 10 round Dawson mags and a Dawson Ice magwell. Great setup, if you like 1911s. Since I run a .45acp Les Baer 1911 in CDP the PM9 was a logical choice for me.