Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
twister

9mm 1911, is it ok for idpa?

If 9+1 was better, the better shooters would use it full stop. We don't.

I don't see how 10+1 wouldn't be better anyway. Maybe i have been told wrong but seems to me you could shoot your 5 double tap targets and have one in the chamber and do a tactical reload but you don't need to retain the mag because it is empty so let it hit the dirt and keep rolling. And you have an extra round for the shot you drop. If someone has better info on this subject please fill me in. I've only shot 5 or so matches so far. 

44 minutes ago, tylerradke said:

I don't see how 10+1 wouldn't be better anyway. Maybe i have been told wrong but seems to me you could shoot your 5 double tap targets and have one in the chamber and do a tactical reload but you don't need to retain the mag because it is empty so let it hit the dirt and keep rolling. And you have an extra round for the shot you drop. If someone has better info on this subject please fill me in. I've only shot 5 or so matches so far. 

If the gun has a round in the chamber you can't drop an empty mag... at least that is my current understanding... whether it will be valid next week is anyone's guess.. It has to be retained. On an empty chamber/slide lock reload you can drop an empty mag. 9+1 seems to have an advantage on some stages, and a disadvantage on others (steel activator moving targets, etc.) Since round dumping is now legal, shooters have a lot more latitude as to when&where they make a slide lock reload.

I say shoot what you shoot best... and, more importantly, what works reliably. Clearing a malf takes a lot more time than making a slide lock reload (ask me how I know.. LOL)