Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought some remanf ammo, doing my own QC check, have questions.

nick779

So I ordered some remanufactured ammo from a new source and am just doing some basic checks on this test batch such as average weight and average OAL. (I bought 124 and 147gr 130PF loads.)

Im running into some weird brass and weight anomalies that ive never dealt with before but I am pretty inexperienced with ammo aside from buying big names.

The 124gr is coming out to 11.92g-12.75g per round based on the case. (R-P/Hornandy are light, X-Treme are heavy) I also have some rounds (Aguila) that have solid, noticable lines midway down the case and im not sure if thats just from crimping/stepping or something else.

I thought I could check for powderless loads but being that my scales are only in grams, that would be about .25g for a round with no powder charge, and the weight variance between cases is a bit more than that.

I may just be more paranoid than I need to be, but im just trying to play it safe.

31 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

If the ammo was loaded by a reputable company, on good equipment, you shouldn't worry anymore about powder variances than you would with new ammo. 

If it was not.... well... then buy from a reputable company next time and put your mind at ease ;)

I mean, its from Fenix, ive heard good things, I just dont really know what a squib feels like and im a bit paranoid with reloaded ammo right now.

23 minutes ago, retiredshooter said:

make sure to pay attention when shooting . don't need one stuck in the barrel

Edited by nick779

2 minutes ago, retiredshooter said:

if you get a jam , don't just rack the slide and pull the trigger

Do you shoot competition? That’s what you do in competition by instinct. Same as immediate action in the military.

42 minutes ago, nick779 said:

So I ordered some remanufactured ammo from a new source and am just doing some basic checks on this test batch such as average weight and average OAL. (I bought 124 and 147gr 130PF loads.)

Im running into some weird brass and weight anomalies that ive never dealt with before but I am pretty inexperienced with ammo aside from buying big names.

The 124gr is coming out to 11.92g-12.75g per round based on the case. (R-P/Hornandy are light, X-Treme are heavy) I also have some rounds (Aguila) that have solid, noticable lines midway down the case and im not sure if thats just from crimping/stepping or something else.

I thought I could check for powderless loads but being that my scales are only in grams, that would be about .25g for a round with no powder charge, and the weight variance between cases is a bit more than that.

I may just be more paranoid than I need to be, but im just trying to play it safe.

Talk about going down a rabbit hole. It’s next to impossible to weigh loaded ammo and tell the amount of powder in there.

Before going out to run Bill Drills or such, spend some time at the shooting bench looking at;

1. Function

2. Accuracy

3. Point of Impact vs point of aim

4. Velocity (and, thereby, power factor)

5. Perceived recoil

From this you can assess the consistency of the ammunition and determine what confidence you have with the ammunition.

With all this being slow fire, problems with any bullets in bore or low recoil (or high recoil) should be evident without danger.

Guy

The cases vary in weight even with the same head stamps. I sort my brass for reloading and when I randomly weigh some of the deprimed cases, it still varies by .1-.3 grains. I weight my ammo after I done  reloading with same headstamps, primer and powder and still see a slight variation in weight by .1-.3 grains.

You are right though that xtreme is heavy. In fact, they’re the heaviest in all the brass I sort (with the exception of stepped brass).

Do a function check on the ammo before going full throttle with it.

11 hours ago, George16 said:

The cases vary in weight even with the same head stamps. I sort my brass for reloading and when I randomly weigh some of the deprimed cases, it still varies by .1-.3 grains. I weight my ammo after I done  reloading with same headstamps, primer and powder and still see a slight variation in weight by .1-.3 grains.

You are right though that xtreme is heavy. In fact, they’re the heaviest in all the brass I sort (with the exception of stepped brass).

Do a function check on the ammo before going full throttle with it.

Yep, going for a slow range session with about 400 rounds to test 124 vs 147 before placing a larger order. Gonna go slow and basically function check it.

10 hours ago, GlockCanMan said:

I think you are being too paranoid about this.  If it is from a reputable manufacturer then don't worry about it. 

9 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

^^^    Ditto    ^^^^

I figured, but id rather ask. Thank you for the reassurance though!

Fenix Ammo is good stuff.  If I didn't reload I'd probably buy from them.  I have shot some of their 9mm I have won / been given samples at matches.

They are local to me and Justin is a common face at 3gun, USPSA and IDPA matches in the area.

So I shot through some of the Fenix stuff this weekend, left the gun slightly dirty (~300 rounds) and only applied a little extra lube. 

No misfires/light strikes so thats good.

Fenix 124gr feels just a hair lighter than the Lawman 124gr - 100% reliable, cycles 100%

Fenix 147gr subjectively feels like near half the recoil of the 124gr - no FTF, but cycles maybe 25% of the time. Usually a misfeed, sometimes a stovepipe.

My guess is that I need a lighter recoil spring which I have, I just forgot to take it with me. Hopefully my G5 34 will still lockup with a 13# and a DPP.