Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4/5 part compatibility

B_RAD

7 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I use a Glock store tungsten with am 11 lb ISMI.

Was hoping they'd be interchangeable. 

Just curious why do you use 11lb instead of 13lb? Is it a Glock 17? I’m about to get a guide rod for my carry optics Glock 17. I’ve never ran an aftermarket guide rod.

48 minutes ago, BamaShooter88 said:

Just curious why do you use 11lb instead of 13lb? Is it a Glock 17? I’m about to get a guide rod for my carry optics Glock 17. I’ve never ran an aftermarket guide rod.

A couple of years ago Vogel told me he used an 11 in all his Glocks. Even in his 24. So, I just bought those. 

I use 8/9 lb in my open gun. Recoil spring is just to send the slide back forward, strip the next round out of the mag and to lock the gun back up in battery. Not really to soften the blow of the slide hitting the frame. 

I'd buy both and see which one you like best then stick with that. Maybe even film yourself just shooting. See how the gun returns. If it dips a lot then maybe the 11lb would be better. 

I've always heard the ismi springs we're not as accurate to their specified poundage as the wolff springs. Though, I use them on my tungsten GR because the Wolff won't fit. YMMV. 

I shoot 34's.  

Edited by B_RAD

In my production gun a gen 4 g34 I run a jaeger polymer guid with a ismi 11 pound spring. In my gun I have to run a minimum of a 4.5 pound striker spring or  my slide doesn't return 100 percent to home. I have almost 30k rounds on this setup without a issue. 

10 hours ago, NWfront said:

To me the loss of a little preload in the spring made it feel like I had to go with next weight up to get the same result.  My 13lb spring feels like what an 11lb used to in my Gen 4.  YMMV.

I don't have a Gen 5 yet, but I've wondered about this.  I'd think really they should be making different springs for the Gen 5 since the preload isn't the same with a Gen 1-4 spring.  Just like how the springs are different between Glock 19 and 17/34 springs for the same weight.  But I don't know how much this really matters since I'm not an engineer 😊

40 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Is what y'all are taking about like the Walthers?  I know if you go too light on those, they'll come out of battery just a little while you're running. 

Its possible, what keeps a glock from going back in to battery is the recoil spring has to over come pushing a fresh round into the chamber and resetting the striker at the same time. 

On 4/24/2019 at 1:02 PM, NWfront said:

I had the oversized Jager for my gen 5 but found the longer rod took out to much preload from the spring and it had weak lock up so I went back to their small rod and ISMI springs and all has been well.

By “oversized Jager” I assume you mean the heavy .270” diameter version which is only compatibly with Wolff springs. In my experience a 12# Wolff spring is lighter than a 11# ISMI spring, so that may be part of the equation as well. When I was using that guide rod I couldn’t find a Wolff 13# spring (only 12 or 14) so I used the 12# and didn’t have any issues in my gen 4 gun. Just thought I’d point out that the Wolff and ISMI springs don’t seem to be exactly the same. 

Ditto on the .270" Jager and Wolff 12# in my current Gen4 34. 

I'm on the verge of buying a Gen 5 as well and was hoping the same set up would work. Sound like it may take a bit of experimentation. 

2 hours ago, Slalom45 said:

Ditto on the .270" Jager and Wolff 12# in my current Gen4 34. 

I'm on the verge of buying a Gen 5 as well and was hoping the same set up would work. Sound like it may take a bit of experimentation. 

My gen 5 won't go into battery with a ismi 13, and kinda works with a 15 on the factory striker spring.

With the TTI GM kit, it works perfect with the 15, but The 13 is slow with the vertical test

With the TTI springs I could go 13lb ismi or 15 lb Wolff.  The lighter ismi still seems like it locks with a little more authority.

With a factory springs I had to go up to a 17 and at that point the OEM dual spring felt the best.  The OEM RS actually performs quite well in the Gen 5 to me.

• 3 years later...
On 4/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, B_RAD said:

A couple of years ago Vogel told me he used an 11 in all his Glocks. Even in his 24. So, I just bought those. 

I use 8/9 lb in my open gun. Recoil spring is just to send the slide back forward, strip the next round out of the mag and to lock the gun back up in battery. Not really to soften the blow of the slide hitting the frame. 

Where did you get 8/9 lb recoil springs for your Glock?