Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armanov Case Gauge vs Shock bottle

Sparten8654

i have armanov in 9mm, never used a shock bottle.  the armonov fails a few cases that'll still pass my dillon single case gauge (i imagine roll sizing would elminiate them) but i like it a lot with the flip cover.  i end up case gauging all my rounds now not just rounds for a match, if it's in an mtm box it's been checked.

Edited by DavidSeavey

I have two of the shockbottles and I love them. Very consistent and well manufactured.

If I have any casings that sit a little high i pull them and put them in my training ammo box. The rest go into my match ammunition. I've shot the ones that stick put a bit without issue, most will sit flush if given a little pressure. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2019 at 8:39 AM, Sparten8654 said:

...does anyone when  reloading allow the rim to just stick up slightly in the case gauge, or that is completely resized.

Depends on your chamber.
You have to know how much can be allowed to stick up and still run in your gun.
If they fit flush enough that I can't use my fingernail to lift them out of the gauge, I put them in plastic boxes or factory 50rd boxes with "match gauged" sharpied on them. If they stick up more than that, but not enough to cause a jam(I know how much is acceptable from trial and error - yay for range brass :ph34r:), they go into the practice can.

Note: bullet size plays in here too. I'm currently working my way through a lot that I know had the sizing die set right, and hasn't caused my gun any problems, but because they were .357" instead of .356" or .355", none of them sat flush in my Shockbottle, so gauging has become more of a judgement call than usual.

I have an Armanov in 9mm. It's the only case gauge I use. About 15% of my loaded rounds don't pass the gauge.

Anything I load runs in my CZ, so the gauge is not really necessary.

Anything that passes the Armanov will run in my SS STI.

Without case gauging, about 1% of rounds jam the STI while partially fed.  I like that the Armanov is holding rounds to such a high standard, but that standard might be too high. Either way, I know a round that passed the gauge will work even in my most selective pistol.

(Separately, I need to find someone who can make that pistol less finicky.)

On 4/26/2019 at 2:01 AM, Harpo said:

Depends on your chamber.
You have to know how much can be allowed to stick up and still run in your gun.
If they fit flush enough that I can't use my fingernail to lift them out of the gauge, I put them in plastic boxes or factory 50rd boxes with "match gauged" sharpied on them. If they stick up more than that, but not enough to cause a jam(I know how much is acceptable from trial and error - yay for range brass :ph34r:), they go into the practice can.

Note: bullet size plays in here too. I'm currently working my way through a lot that I know had the sizing die set right, and hasn't caused my gun any problems, but because they were .357" instead of .356" or .355", none of them sat flush in my Shockbottle, so gauging has become more of a judgement call than usual.

My Canik needs .357 bullets.  Case gauges don't like .357 bullets.  It's an art knowing how far up the round can set and still run.  If I have a question I just pull the barrel and plunk them in it.

13 hours ago, ExStreetWalker said:

My Canik needs .357 bullets.  Case gauges don't like .357 bullets.  It's an art knowing how far up the round can set and still run.  If I have a question I just pull the barrel and plunk them in it.

For sure!
I have three acceptance levels for case gauging, and keep an example of one that failed(and I know will jam up my pistol) in the box with my case gauge.
My three levels are match, practice, and fail.

Match level ones, I can't get out with just a fingernail.

Practice rounds stick up enough that I can pull them out with a fingernail, but don't stick up as high as rounds that fail(If they're on the edge, I'll either set them aside in kind of a 'practice, but remember a squib rod or something similar' pile).

And fails obviously go into the can of ones that need pulled.

With .357"(and my barrel),  my acceptance for "match" is that they seat to the bottom edge of the extractor groove, otherwise it's all the same.

• 2 years later...
On 3/8/2019 at 12:48 PM, rishii said:

I have a shockbottle, I purchased it based on

made in the USA

shockbottle is a dealer here

the owner  Shred is a long time contributor here 

and it works, much tighter than my Dillon gauge

wait a minute, are you saying Shred is affiliated with Shockbottle?  I didn’t know that. If it’s true, then that makes my decision easy. Hundo it is.