Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Firing Pin Stop

ARac40

I have played around with many different angles such as Cheely, Caspian, Harrison, EGW and self made FPS.  There is more to it than just changing it out to get it right.  It has to work with your load and recoil spring(and MS).  Currently run Cheely fps on open guns and caspian on minor SS.  The Cheely is very similar to the one you posted.  But they are cheap and easy to change out at the range.

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Cheely-Custom-Flat-Top-Firing-Pin-Stop-P3270.aspx

Edited by echotango

The flat "TOP" which both links show is for Bomar style sights or open guns with weight milled off the back of the slide.

Makes it quicker to dress the FPS to sit even with the slide than using a full size one which you have to take more time due to more metal above the FP hole.

at least from what I can see!

Edited by jcc7x7

4 hours ago, ARac40 said:

Reading about it, if you tune it to your load & springs, as echo tango stated, it’s supposed to reduce recoil as opposed to a radiused firing pin stop. Idk if that’s the case or not, just curious is all. 

from what i understood the radius reduces the recoil because it slows the slide down when cycles and the flat just makes the slide rack easier but more recoil - i have no experience 

Edited by Fo0

15 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

from what i understood the radius reduces the recoil because it slows the slide down when cycles and the flat just makes the slide rack easier but more recoil - i have no experience 

It is give and take.  An aggressive fps like the Cheely or Atlas starts higher on the hammer and therefore the slide moves easier from lockup.  This however increases your slide speed.  So it can make your gun rise more at the end of the cycle when the slide hits the frame if you do not tune it with springs/loads.  The same goes for a square-ish fps such as a Harrison or EGW. The gun will typically lift while unlocking as it is harder for the slide to move the hammer.  Hopefully this makes sense.  Been a long day....

5 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

how do you like the closest one and which one did you like best

I use a Cheely which is very similar to the front one on my open guns. I use one like the middle on a SS 9 gun. I have tested very little on the SS. My main focus is open. 

21 minutes ago, echotango said:

I use a Cheely which is very similar to the front one on my open guns. I use one like the middle on a SS 9 gun. I have tested very little on the SS. My main focus is open. 

Have you tried the Atlas to compare - it is even flatter 

Obviously the Atlas hits the hammer higher than the Cheely, so the slide opens more easily.  It is also harder on the hammer.  I prefer the Cheely.  If you want to move the impact point higher, that is easily done with a good file or vertical belt sander.  I prefer a radius because you can tune it.

The Atlas and Cheely hit the hammer at almost the same point, the atlas is higher, but the atlas has a sharp angle and is flat on the face where the cheely has very slight roundness to it. 

1.jpg

Edited by echotango