Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S@W 625 hoque grips

jim m

Started shooting alot of double action only on my 625, have set of hoque grips.  My middle finger is just plain sore from shooting. I'm  using a light target load.  I've tried differnt holds- no difference.  Before I start buying and trying different grips.  Have any of you had this issue and what did you do yo solve it?   Thanks in advance.  Jim 

Unfortunately, everybody's hand and pain tolerance is different.  Resign yourself to trying and owning ($) a lot of different grips.  I used Hogue fingergrooveless big butts but changed every so often.  Recently I returned to Pachmayr (sp?) grippers.  Go figure

Does the Hogue Grips you have fill in the space behind the trigger guard?

The Hogue Rubber Grips should fill in that gap, if not it will bang your middle finger into the trigger guard.

Big Butts are a lot more expensive, you might try the cheaper mono-grip from Hogue with finger grooves, if the finger grooves don't feel right you can use a dremel and remove, or smooth them out.

th.jpeg

I have second set of monogrips,  I will try a dremel or a belt sander and take the finger grooves down.  SteelCityshooter you are right, almost makes the 625 no fun to shoot.    

Thanks for the input

jim

It's really hard to make recommendations without understand what the actual problem is.

WHY does your middle finger hurt ?

Are the finger grooves grips ? Is your finger riding in the center of the groove or on top ?

Are your hands to big for those grips and your fingers are squished on to tight ? 

Are the grips to thin causing a strange pinch point or excessive wrap around ?

Improperly gripping? Are you not gripping hard enough causing the gun to jump around in your hand and rub in a sore spot ?

If you haven't already, Try a NON finger grooved model, that's sized to your hand. You can do this by simply tracing your hand and sending it in to the custom shop, contact some people at hogue and they can walk you through getting a grip sized to your hand.

Alternatively, find a dealer that stocks multiple grips and give them a feel before deciding. They are all a little different

Another option is to grab a few files and sand paper and go custom yourself, the nice thing about wood grips is that you can remold them and refinish them, do what's comfortable for you

Edited by alecmc

You can sand down the finger grooves some and that may help or you can actually buy a set that doesn’t have the finger grooves in them. The finger grooves never fit me right so I always smooth them down or buy ones that do not have them in it. 

Thank you guys for all the help.  (not sure about the "not telling gender" guy)  Took a set of grips down with a dremel and sanded them smooth.  Going in the right direction but I am ordering the hoque big butt, no finger grooves as many of you have recommended.  

Thanks again

Jim

Are you taking about the irritation on the top of your middle finger,  the part between your middle and index finger?  The knuckle that rides right under the trigger guard?  

Not to be flippant, but the only solution is to shoot more.   Seriously, It will go away.

Anyone use the JM wooden grips?  
Jim
I have a set on all my competition revos.

The 625s move when you shoot them. You need to hold on tighter than you think you do. Major power factor in a fixed breech gun will make you more tired at the end of the day.

22 hours ago, jim m said:

Thank you guys for all the help.  (not sure about the "not telling gender" guy)  Took a set of grips down with a dremel and sanded them smooth.  Going in the right direction but I am ordering the hoque big butt, no finger grooves as many of you have recommended.  

Thanks again

Jim

I identify as an Apache attack helicopter, if you really must know.

I think the nerve / tendon from middle finger to wrist gets rubbed raw.  It will only get worse and eventually lock up.  You need to change something.

Grips, power factor, caliber, whatever.

I think this is known as trigger finger.....Really  (reliable doctor told me) .   I can't shoot 45 Revolver any more.

Thankful for 38 Super , 357, 22, 40S&W